Erik Satie

Started by Michel, May 31, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Using an anachronistic piano (or not? I think it's supposed to be like the one Satie had in his apartment). I've liked this for a long time though.

Gurn Blanston

Been a while since I heard this, playing through a couple of disks now, then some Ciccolini. That's my full shelf of Satie, but I don't feel deprived. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 15, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
Been a while since I heard this, playing through a couple of disks now, then some Ciccolini. That's my full shelf of Satie, but I don't feel deprived. :)

8)

I should think you and Satie would get along very well. He had as well developed a sense of humor as a certain 18th century composer had...

George

8)

That Thibaudet is the Satie set I would bring to the proverbial desert island. Superb sound and performance.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

8)
I just got this. I hadn't known this much Satie existed.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 15, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
I should think you and Satie would get along very well. He had as well developed a sense of humor as a certain 18th century composer had...

No one was more surprised than me when I listened to my first Satie disk. I liked it right from the start and ever since. :)

Quote from: George on November 15, 2017, 07:38:27 PM
That Thibaudet is the Satie set I would bring to the proverbial desert island. Superb sound and performance.

Been a while since I heard it, but that's what I remember, the SQ was excellent, and the playing was what I thought was very fine, although I'm no expert on the style overall, it was what I liked. :)

Quote from: milk on November 16, 2017, 12:14:54 AM
I just got this. I hadn't known this much Satie existed.

Me neither, but someone mentioned his very early Sarabandes above, and Thibodet leads off with them here, they are certainly not his later works, but they get you in the mood for them. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

milk

I have to admit that while I love the "pop" Satie, I find the "other" Satie pretty challenging. I think I will persist a little and see if I can get it. To me, late Satie is not as accessible as, say, Debussy - even the more "difficult" parts of Debussy's output. Does Satie play a lot of chords? And his music has a lot of spaces. Gaps. That seems to get me stuck. It sounds like chord noodling at first. I'm sure there's something much deeper here.

Turner

With the arrival of the "Satie & Friends" CD Box, I don´t plan to buy any more of him within the foreseeable future.

This is what I´ve accumulated, in the main - the usual mixture of LPs and CDs, a couple of books. Some of the CDs I also have as LPs, but only Entremont´s LP of orchestral works is included here; there´s also the De Leeuw 3LP box of piano works, some Ciccolini LPs, an LP with Jan Kaspersen boringly playing piano music, from the Olufsen label, etc.
I skipped the Austbø 2CD set of piano works, it just wasn´t particularly different from the others I had.

Turner

and ...

so far, when listening to the Satie & Friends box, it´s been a rather mixed experience; some of the stuff is good, some of less interest, or quality.

Turner

and finally:

At his best, there´s a timeless, hieratic, non-sentimental freshness to his music, I think. But he can have a rhapsodic, impromptu brevity, that is refreshing too, of course.

France Clidat´s box set of piano works (5 LPs, Forlane label) has been criticized for her perhaps somewhat free interpretation of the scores, but I like her very emotional, often rather Romantic approach, as a contrast to the more discrete, less contrastful versions by some of the other pianists.

Turner

Some further, related literature from my collections:

snyprrr

I was surprised recently that I didn't enjoy ANY of Satie's Orchestral Works. huh

snyprrr

Need to revisit the Piano Music but have not a note in the Library. Ciccolini was my first love here,... what's going on now?

I'm in the 'Enjoyed' Leeuw camp, btw..., buuut,...

George

Quote from: snyprrr on March 19, 2018, 07:59:24 PM
Need to revisit the Piano Music but have not a note in the Library. Ciccolini was my first love here,... what's going on now?

I'm in the 'Enjoyed' Leeuw camp, btw..., buuut,...

Which of Leeuw's Satie recordings have you heard? His later recordings, from 1992 and 1995, while still slower than most, work much better for me than his 1977 recordings. For example, his Gymnopedie is 6:06 on the 1977 and 4:50 on the 1992 recording. It seems the pianist had a change of heart over the years. (Thibaudet's is 3:39 and Ciccolini's is 3:08)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I just can't stand any recording by JYT......

8)

snyprrr

Quote from: George on March 20, 2018, 06:28:45 AM
Which of Leeuw's Satie recordings have you heard? His later recordings, from 1992 and 1995, while still slower than most, work much better for me than his 1977 recordings. For example, his Gymnopedie is 6:06 on the 1977 and 4:50 on the 1992 recording. It seems the pianist had a change of heart over the years. (Thibaudet's is 3:39 and Ciccolini's is 3:08)

I didn't know there were two... I've heard the Philips 2CD 'Early Works'... even though it does tug at the seams of the piece... one would also want an alternative...

I base EVERYTHING Satie on Ciccolini's 'Le Sailing'!!! No one else seems to get it like he does...

George

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on March 20, 2018, 08:16:24 PM
I just can't stand any recording by JYT......

Well then it's good that you appear to be sitting down.

snyprrr

Quote from: George on March 20, 2018, 06:28:45 AM

The earlier one...

Now, I didn't know Ciccolini had TWO Cycles, both for EMI, the first 1967-71, the second, 1983-86. Oy, what'sthe consensus here?

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on March 19, 2018, 07:45:10 AM
I was surprised recently that I didn't enjoy ANY of Satie's Orchestral Works. huh

I hear ya. I don't enjoy Satie's orchestral works much either. His piano music is quite good, though. I'm about to make my acquaintance with his mélodies thanks to this disc:

snyprrr

Tharaud's Satie is IT!!!! ...just my opinion, but WOW on sound quality and delicacy! A Whole Cycle Please!!!

I think I've figured out how to divide Satie:

No.1: get either the Complete Ciccolini (which version?) AND/or Thibaudet

No.2: get Leeuw for the contrast in the Early Works

No.3: get Vol.3 of Ciccolini'80s, 'Fantastic Works' to have all the quirky stuff in one place.
No.3a: get Vol.4 of Ciccolini'80s, 'Etudes' for all the small diamonds no one ever gets to.

Actually, I found I could bypass Ciccolini Vols. 1-2/5, since, for the most part, the whole 'Early' period is strewn over three albums, with, then, a smattering of random bits and pieces out-of-context (Vol.1's 'First & Last Pieces', for which I only want the Nocturnes).

FRANKLY-

Sarabandes
Ogives
Gymnopedies
Gnoissonesss
Nocturnes
Rose+Croix (incl.- Priere, Porte Ciel, 4 Preludes...)
Pieces Froides

should be able to be found just about anywhere in great performances,... uh, one would assume. I just wish Tharaud woud have played the pieces I wanted him to play :(

I hear there's "rumbling" in Leeuw's 2nd recording, and 'After the Rain',... of course, SOUND is half the battle with Satie(I hope you all concur)...

I like a lot about Th :(ibaudet, but he's also a little bolder in places I didn't expect; obversely, the Bjorn guy has something I don't like, but sometimes astonishes with delicacy :(...

WHY ISN'T SAT :(IE MORE POPULAR WITH THE CREAM OF PIANISTS??

Ah, Satie, my 3rd discovery after DSCH and the Mendlssohn(?) VC.

Please, let me just wallow in this Post, since it takes soooo long to get there...

Floating...