Erik Satie

Started by Michel, May 31, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Can anyone confirm or deny the Virgin sound issue on Queffelec's set?From what I hear, it's that somewhat hard and dry Virgin sound particular to the era, and it seems to make her performances sound a little hard or aggressive (in the recording sense). Others have noted it; still others say the recording is excellently dry and crisp and clean.

ANYONE>?

snyprrr

I think Satie's literature for Piano 4Hands is quite profound in context. He certainly has some of the more interesting works amongst the milieu

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on April 11, 2018, 10:16:03 AM
Can anyone confirm or deny the Virgin sound issue on Queffelec's set?From what I hear, it's that somewhat hard and dry Virgin sound particular to the era, and it seems to make her performances sound a little hard or aggressive (in the recording sense). Others have noted it; still others say the recording is excellently dry and crisp and clean.

ANYONE>?

I have this:

The piano sound is not pleasing. Too metallic in a weird acoustic. Hard on the ears. A pity because I like her performances.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Listening to Queffélec's Gnossiennes now: horrible sound. The piano sounds like a zither! Bizarre  :o

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 11, 2018, 12:41:50 PM
The piano sounds like a zither! Bizarre  :o

A zither! :)

I have her Ravel on another Virgin release and don't recall it sounding so bad, but that's based on a very superficial sampling.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on April 11, 2018, 10:12:48 AMI'm surprised you got the earlier Ciccolini. Isn't the sound not optimal for Satie, or is there a ReMastering Miracle here? I'm sure, though, as you compare the steadier Ciccolini to the more wayward (and many times humorless) JYT,

(well, I know better than to ruin your box-opening-day) ;)

I'd be more interested in that Ogawa...

I wonder if deLeeuw played his fortes somewhat mildly because he was trying to evoke the spirit of the Erard?

From the reviews I've read, it seems that many favor Ciccolini's earlier cycle. There's a good review of the set here. I couldn't disagree with you more about Thibaudet. His performances, from what I've heard so far, have been scintillating and a nice contrast to Ciccolini.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 11, 2018, 12:41:50 PM
Listening to Queffélec's Gnossiennes now: horrible sound. The piano sounds like a zither! Bizarre  :o

Sarge

That's a shame as she's such a good pianist. I bought her Ravel set, so I hope I don't run into the same problems you have had with her Satie.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 11, 2018, 07:16:38 PM
From the reviews I've read, it seems that many favor Ciccolini's earlier cycle. There's a good review of the set here. I couldn't disagree with you more about Thibaudet. His performances, from what I've heard so far, have been scintillating and a nice contrast to Ciccolini.

I will hold off on Cicci until I hear your report. ;)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 11, 2018, 12:32:54 PM
I have this:

The piano sound is not pleasing. Too metallic in a weird acoustic. Hard on the ears. A pity because I like her performances.

Sarge

Thaaat's what I'm talkin' 'bout...

Ivan Hewitt says it's still his TopRecommends,... very few are speaking of the metallic Virgin sound. I agree, Sarge, her performances are a great masculine foil to Roge's more feminine approach. I was gonna get both, but one can hear the Virgin sound issues right on YT,... it reeeally is bothersome to me and I'm glad you confirm.

I am starting to warm to Roge's femininity,...

Have your heard France Clidat's early '80s 3CD set on Forlane/others? She can be quick, and the sound, though good, strikes me in a strange way, but, she's worth hearing. In the Glazer range, perhaps,...

John White's recital on the super cheapee label is very well recorded...

Thanks again for the Queffelec ;)... such a shame...

George

I couldn't disagree with you more about Thibaudet. His performances, from what I've heard so far, have been scintillating and a nice contrast to Ciccolini.

Ciccolini's Satie doesn't work for me, but Thibaudet moved to the top of my Satie pianist list a few years back and has remained there. Roge formerly held that spot.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Quote from: George on April 12, 2018, 05:37:03 PM
Ciccolini's Satie doesn't work for me, but Thibaudet moved to the top of my Satie pianist list a few years back and has remained there. Roge formerly held that spot.

I feel similar to you.  Ciccolini was my first exposure to Satie's piano works and was, for a long time, the only recording I knew.  But after de Leeuw, Ciccolini sounded rough and almost crude.  Leeuw, Roge and Thibaudet are the ones I listen to the most nowadays.

Mirror Image

What is it about Ciccolini that you don't like?

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2018, 09:10:37 PM
What is it about Ciccolini that you don't like?

I think it was the fast tempos. I don't like his Beethoven either.

snyprrr

So JYT's 10min. 'Prelude...Porte...Ciel' doesn't bother you? Or the 3.5min. 'Prelude en tapisserie'?

I like half of his Cycle, but I do get that "I'm sight reading this" feeling sometimes...

I just believe you have to collect Satie piecemeal. I just can't see deLeeuw playing a convincing 'Je te veux', 'Poudre d'Or', 'The Dreamy Fisch', 'Le Piccadilly', and so forth,...

as per Ccolini- I think he is unsurpassed in the Humorist Works, basically, his volume from the '80s with all the 1912-1915 stuff.

snyprrr

deLeeuw
Van Veen
Simonetto?
the new lady...
Schleiermacher
Horvath??
JYT's 'Prelude...Ciel'

Right now, only deLeeuw holds a place forme with this approach to Satie. Schleiermacher I just shook my head at. JYT plays that Prelude at almost 2/3 speed, three times slower than the fastest...

There is either ego, drugs, serious-research-gone-awry, or something... the '60s??... LSD?...either way, Satie has been somewhat hijacked imo.

I'd like to hear a bluegrass version of Gymnopede?!?!?!

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on April 13, 2018, 03:15:35 AM
I think it was the fast tempos. I don't like his Beethoven either.

Oh, well I like Ciccolini's incisiveness and his overall clarity of the musical line. The fast tempi don't bother me.

Mirror Image

I hate to admit that I agree with snyprrr, but I do feel that Thibaudet's Satie lacks that sparkle I like. His performances feel so lethargic to me, especially compared to Ciccolini, Tharaud, and Queffélec.

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2018, 08:31:38 AM
I hate to admit that I agree with snyprrr, but I do feel that Thibaudet's Satie lacks that sparkle I like. His performances feel so lethargic to me, especially compared to Ciccolini, Tharaud, and Queffélec.

A lot changed in just two days:

Spineur

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2018, 08:31:38 AM
Yes these are my favorite Satie Performers on the piano.  I find that I agree more and more with you MI !  I would add this CD

[asin]B004754SG6[/asin]

Not the most performed Satie, but brilliant under Lubimov fingers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on April 13, 2018, 09:10:05 AM
A lot changed in just two days:

Indeed and I thought Thibaudet was going to be 'my thing' whenever I was listening to the few performances of his featured in the Tout Satie! Erato set (which, btw, was all corrupted --- thanks again, Erato). But further exploration, revealed a pianist with very little to say and who doesn't really project the spirt of Satie too well IMHO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spineur on April 13, 2018, 09:58:28 AM
Yes these are my favorite Satie Performers on the piano.  I find that I agree more and more with you MI !  I would add this CD

[asin]B004754SG6[/asin]

Not the most performed Satie, but brilliant under Lubimov fingers.

Excellent, Spineur. That does look like a tasty disc indeed. Lubimov is such a fantastic pianist. Thanks for the recommendation.