Your favourite choral symphony

Started by Lilas Pastia, May 31, 2007, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you like best? (It's ok NOT to chose the 9th !!)

Beethoven 9
27 (87.1%)
Mendelssohn 2
3 (9.7%)
Mahler 2
14 (45.2%)
Mahler 8
7 (22.6%)
Rachmaninov The Bells
3 (9.7%)
Vaughan-Williams Sea symphony
4 (12.9%)
Shostakovich 13
9 (29%)
None of the above
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Lilas Pastia

I'm a sucker for the VW and Rachmaninov ones ;D

not edward

Of these, the Beethoven and Shostakovich. None ranks in my favourite three by the composer in question (though they might well both rank in the favourite five, if I ever compiled one).

My brain is telling me there must be other good choices, but none is coming forward. (Sibelius' Kullervo and Schnittke's (only marginally choral) 4th both fall some way short.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Josquin des Prez

Steve

Sorry, I had to be honest.

Beethoven's 9th it is.  ;)

BachQ

Bonehelm

Hard choice.

Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's 2nd are equally great - among the finest symphonies ever written. They have similarities too...such as the way the choir is introduced in the final movements...and the stormy, tragic opening of both works...both are about struggle in the beginning, then end in a triumphant, victorious manner...

hornteacher

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 04:28:07 PM
Sorry, I had to be honest.

Beethoven's 9th it is.  ;)

Yep, ditto.

Danny

mahlertitan

Steve

springrite

I want to know the person who voted Mendelssohn 2. It is a good work, but I doubt even Mendelssohn's own mother would vote it the greatest choral symphony ever.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 09:39:52 PM
Not even Mahler's 2nd?

it's okay, i have a strong preference for purely instrumental music.

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 31, 2007, 09:48:18 PM
it's okay, i have a strong preference for purely instrumental music.

So, it's not just the choral symphonies, but all vocal music? Does that rule out Opera?

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 09:59:44 PM
So, it's not just the choral symphonies, but all vocal music? Does that rule out Opera?

yes, i am not that into operas or vocal music.

However, i have heard all the great works, like mozart, verdi, rossini, schubert's songs, and song cycles..etc, i'm just don' like voice in music, that's all.

Papy Oli

Olivier

val

Beethoven 9th.

But The Bells are very beautiful. Regarding Mahler's 2nd, the Choral part is, to me, the less intersting.

Symphonien

Novi

Another Mahler 2 vote :). Oh my, when the mezzo starts singing in Ulricht ... that's so achingly beautiful.

I like LvB 9 but prefer the first 3 movements, so I don't suppose that counts in this particular poll, does it? ;D

Mahler 8 isn't a favourite, but sometimes - just sometimes - I really like the bloatedness, the over-the-topness, the sheer excess, of it. Too much of it, you OD though.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Hector

Quote from: D Minor on May 31, 2007, 04:35:12 PM
LvB 9
Havergal Brian 1
Mahler 2

Brilliant!

Berlioz' Romeo et Juliette!

karlhenning

Had to be honest, too.  If I had to choose just one of those, for me, it has to be the Shostakovich Opus 113