Your favourite choral symphony

Started by Lilas Pastia, May 31, 2007, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you like best? (It's ok NOT to chose the 9th !!)

Beethoven 9
27 (87.1%)
Mendelssohn 2
3 (9.7%)
Mahler 2
14 (45.2%)
Mahler 8
7 (22.6%)
Rachmaninov The Bells
3 (9.7%)
Vaughan-Williams Sea symphony
4 (12.9%)
Shostakovich 13
9 (29%)
None of the above
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

bhodges

I love the Mahler Eighth, and can't really explain why.  I wouldn't want to listen to it every day, but in live performance it is definitely an event.  Part of the thrill for me is even before it begins, just watching the stage filling up with people.  I am really looking forward to the Philadelphia Orchestra's performance about a year from now, especially after hearing Eschenbach and the group do the Second a few weeks ago. 

--Bruce

Tsaraslondon

I voted for Mahler 2, because I find the choral contribution more satisfying than in Beethoven's 9th. I sometimes feel that, if Beethoven hadn't been deaf, he wouldn'thave had the sopranos sing so high for so long. In some performances the strain really shows. That said, the purely instrumental slow movement is one of the most beautiful in all music.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Sergeant Rock

Mahler Symphony #8 E flat  "Symphony of a Thousand" and Havergal Brian Symphony #1 D minor "Gothic"

About Mahler 8: I'm puzzled by how little respect this symphony gets--even from the dedicated Mahlerites.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

springrite

Quote from: James on June 01, 2007, 08:33:28 AM
Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms

Quote from: karlhenning on June 01, 2007, 08:40:48 AM
(* pounds the table *)

In a poll of Los Angeles Philharmonic musicians, the work receiving the most votes (mentions) as favorite work happened to be Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms.

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on June 01, 2007, 08:56:34 AM
In a poll of Los Angeles Philharmonic musicians, the work receiving the most votes (mentions) as favorite work happened to be Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms.

Well isn't that cool!  I would have expected something else to win...not sure what, but not the Stravinsky. 

--Bruce

springrite

Quote from: bhodges on June 01, 2007, 09:06:05 AM
Well isn't that cool!  I would have expected something else to win...not sure what, but not the Stravinsky. 

--Bruce

Another Stravinsky work, Rite of Spring, finished 3rd or 4th.

not edward

Quote from: James on June 01, 2007, 08:33:28 AM
Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms
Ok, so why did I forget that one? It's my #1 choice by miles.

I'll also pre-empt Maciek by replacing my #2 choice with Szymanowski's orgiastic 3rd.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

Probably because it's so short; they get to go home early, toke up, and watch the sunset from their beachfront properties  ;D

Sarge

BachQ

techniquest

Mahler 2 - absolutely - no contest.
Then the 8.
Then Shostakovich 13, then Mahler 3, then LVB 9. I don't know the Brian 1 or 4 well enough yet for them to go on the faves list.

Maciek

Quote from: edward on June 01, 2007, 09:23:09 AM
Ok, so why did I forget that one? It's my #1 choice by miles.

I'll also pre-empt Maciek by replacing my #2 choice with Szymanowski's orgiastic 3rd.

Thanks, Edward. :D I felt I shouldn't be doing this on yet another thread or I'd put everyone to sleep with my monotony...

Wendell_E

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 01, 2007, 09:38:08 AM
Probably because it's so short; they get to go home early, toke up, and watch the sunset from their beachfront properties  ;D

Sarge

And, of course, since the score doesn't call for violins, violas, or clarinets, those players can go home before it even begins.   ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Wendell_E on June 01, 2007, 11:27:31 AM
And, of course, since the score doesn't call for violins, violas, or clarinets, those players can go home before it even begins.   ;D

Bingo!

Sarge

from the new world

Selected the Mahler 8th and Shosty 13th, in part as my favourite completely choral symphonies.

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 01, 2007, 08:11:30 AM
Mahler Symphony #8 E flat  "Symphony of a Thousand" and Havergal Brian Symphony #1 D minor "Gothic"

About Mahler 8: I'm puzzled by how little respect this symphony gets--even from the dedicated Mahlerites.

Sarge

Mahler's 8th has always been something of a problem for me.  I know it's called a symphony, but for me it sounds more like an Oratorio, or even two oratorios cobbled together.  Das Lied, on the other hand, sounds more like a sung symphony.  I do love the 8th; I just feel the 2nd is a better symphony.

For Choral symphonies, I chose the Beethoven 9th and Mahler 2nd as much for the thematic program as the music, although the music of both can stand on its own merits.  I'm just surprised Kullervo didn't make it onto the list, too.

PaulR

Lilas Pastia

DSCH 14 is not a choral symphony, nor is Das Lied.

Of course the ones I put on the list are just a few among the many that could be included, but I doubted they would have garnered many votes. I preferred to let people go out and mention their favourites! My own indulgence was to nominate the Rachmaninov work, which few know  ;)

Others not yet mentioned: DSCH 2 and 3, Hanson 7, Harris 4, Sauguet 2, Henze 7, Eisler, Bernstein 3, Danielpour 3 etc. etc.

BachQ

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 01, 2007, 03:28:37 PM
Others not yet mentioned: DSCH 2 and 3, Hanson 7, Harris 4, Sauguet 2, Henze 7, Eisler, Bernstein 3, Danielpour 3 etc. etc.

I refuse to believe that this thread has any weaknesses ....... whether in the OP or otherwise .........

Christo

A more accurate list imho would also include a.o.:

Brian, Gothic (no. 1) [probably my first choice, but only thanks to the three orchestral parts]
Holst, [`First] Choral Symphony (a second one never followed, due to his premature death)
Bliss, Morning Heroes
Rubbra, Sinfonia Sacra (no. 9)
Braga Santos, Symphonies 4 & 6
Guarnieri, Symphony 5
Santoro, Sinfonia Da Paz (no. 4)
Badings, Psalmensymfonie (no. 6)
Stravinsky, Symphonie de Psaumes [not really a symphony, of course]

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948