Heinrich von Herzogenberg (1843-1900)

Started by Greta, September 08, 2007, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Herzogenberg was a rather succesful craftsman. I've heard his string quartets, piano quartets, symphonies and other stuff. Pretty consistent, elegant, engaging, very close to Brahms in style. You could like this composer's music, Andrei.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

One movement from Herzogenberg has really stood out to me: the theme-and-variations finale of his Cello Sonata no. 3. What exquisite craftsmanship and beauty!

https://youtu.be/iBudAXN3tFU
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SonicMan46

TTT after nearly 2 years! - I've not posted since 2016 and currently own 11 CDs in 9 jewel boxes (couple of doubles) - pics below for those unfamiliar w/ the offerings or who may want to increase their collection - all are instrumental - enjoy the piano disc and the chamber works the most - been listening the last few days - do I want or need more, probably not?  I was curious about the 3-disc piano music offering but the reviews were mixed and is available on Spotify for a preview - just curious what others have been doing w/ this composer over the last half dozen years or so, probably little?   :laugh:  Dave

kyjo

Herzogenberg was a rather uneven composer (his two symphonies are rather unremarkable IMO), but he composed some excellent chamber music, above all his 3 cello sonatas which can stand amongst the finest works in their genre. The theme-and-variations finale of No. 3 contain some of the most ineffably beautiful music in the chamber repertoire of the late-19th century: https://youtu.be/iBudAXN3tFU
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

amw

I find a lot of his music rather charming and full of satisfying melodic invention. I believe I thought particularly highly of the violin sonatas, cello sonatas and music for piano duet/two pianos, but it's been a very long time since I explored his output in depth.

SonicMan46

Complete Piano Works w/ Natasa Veljkovic - well I finally 'bit the bullet' on this 3-CD set when I saw the 50% off offer at JPC for 10 Euros - the pianist is superb and the booklet notes excellent (a link is provided in the attachment) - could only add two reviews, an excellent one from MusicWeb and a mediocre 2*/5* from an apparent knowledgeable Amazon reviewer - is this great music up to the standards of Brahms, who was their friend (Herzogenberg's wife had been a student of Johannes and wrote 8 pieces on the recording), well not really but I would likely do a 4* review on Amazon.  For the price, I'm a pleased customer -  :laugh:  Dave

Symphonic Addict

The best Herzogenberg I've heard so far is this:

He also was a succesful choral composer, and this masterful Mass is a proof of his talent. And the Piano Quartet No. 2 contains one of the finest slow movements in chamber repertoire.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Jo498

The only piece I somewhat remember is the trio with horn, oboe and piano and this is unfortunately not as impressive as the Reinecke for the same rare combination.
FWIW, the name is apparently not stressed as one would assume (HERzogenberg as "Herzog" (meaning duke) is stressed on the e) but HerzOgenberg. (the z as always in German like "ts", so roughly "fon HaretsOgunbareg")
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal