Josef Myslivecek (1737-1781)

Started by robnewman, May 30, 2009, 01:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 19, 2021, 09:58:51 AM
Thanks for persevering, SonicMan!

As some of you may know, a Mysliveček movie is in the works – in the editing room, to be precise. And there's a lot of promise it might turn out good: the director – Petr Václav – is one of Czech's best and his interest in the topic is genuine. His movies are gritty, immediate, with a strong social conscience. Definitely no crowd pleasers! He already made a documentary about Mysliveček and worked on the movie even before that, exchanging notes and meeting with Daniel Freeman. He also brought on board Václav Luks, the artistic director of Collegium 1704 and the orchestra itself participated in the shoot, so in the scenes of Mysliveček conducting, the musicians are playing live. I applaud this approach and can't wait for the premiere, which is scheduled for this fall, although the project underwent some covid-related delays.

Here are a few shots from the set at Teatro Sociale in Como, Italy. Yes, that's Jaroussky in the first one, playing one of the singers:

Thanks Rinaldo for the information above - looking forward to the hopeful outcome!  Dave :)

Que

Dave, excellent idea to revive this thread!  :)

Probably a question you expected from me: could you possibly point out the period instruments performances?  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on March 19, 2021, 11:18:11 AM
Dave, excellent idea to revive this thread!  :)

Probably a question you expected from me: could you possibly point out the period instruments performances?  8)

Hi Que - well, not sure if your meant the ones I own and have shown in the thread or the recent Spotify playlist posted?  But I own 9 CDs of Il Boemo's music - see pic below from my database (click to enlarge) - from my quick perusal of the booklet notes (and some web searching), the ones in red are period instrument performances (in several others the notes do not state) - I suspect that you would like the 'Wind Quintets & Octets', although hard to turn down Concerto Köln.

Of the 4 on my Spotify playlist, I have no notes - in the 'Oboe Quintets', the instrument sounds modern, as is the piano in that recording; cannot comment for sure on the other two recordings of 'String Quartets' & 'Quintetti di archi', sorry.  Dave :)

Que

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2021, 10:30:59 AM
This is a fantastic, Florestan-Stamp-of-Approval disc. Too bad Myslivecek wrote so little keyboard music, he really had a knack for it.

Well, a repost below from today's listening thread - with Andrei's encouragement above, plus a Spotify audition and a handful of excellent reviews (attached), I ordered the newest addition to my JM collection - thought that the solo pieces might be a little simplistic but was mistaken and Hammond does a great job playing all!  Dave :)

QuoteMyslivecek, Josef - Keyboard Music w/ Clare Hammond and Nicholas McGegan/Swedish Chamber Orchestra; consists of two piano concertos (about a third of the 76+min disc time, and divertimenti/exercises for solo piano, the remainder of the recording) - first new CD added to my JM collection in a number of years!  Well, I was not sure about this 'dual purpose' recording, i.e. concertos + 'simple' piano pieces, but I first listened on Spotify and was pleased, so ordered the CD - the reviews have generally been excellent (attached).  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 31, 2010, 07:09:53 AM

String Quintets - Pro Arte Antiqua Praha w/ two violas - listening @ the moment; superb string writing as usual from Myslivecek:)

Own that recording and love it.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 30, 2021, 09:30:37 AM
Own that recording and love it.  :)

+1 - like his wind works.  8)  Dave

SonicMan46

Il Boemo's Symphony numbering - anyone have a handle on the logic, if any?  According to his Wiki Article, Myslivecek has 55 symphonies listed - I own the first 3 single discs shown below; the Bambert recording (done in 2003) has 6 works (claim 'premieres' then) and are labelled F26 to F31; Concerto Köln lists keys and movement names; the Prague CO (third one) also does the same - NOW, there is a new offering to me on Amazon from CPO (4th pic below) w/ 2 discs, first having Symphonies w/ keys and Roman numeral numbers, second having opera overtures except for one symphony - BUT, some clarification, i.e. the attached Fanfare review (text in bold) states that the symphonies on the first disc are the same as those on the Bambert recording, so probably don't need to add to my collection (esp. at the price asked).  Dave :)