Franz Danzi (1763-1826)

Started by robnewman, May 31, 2009, 10:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robnewman

Franz Danzi (1763-1826)
Concerto for Bassoon
c. 1790
3rd Movement

Danzi studied piano,  cello and singing with his father and at the age of 15 joined the celebrated Mannheim orchestra. When the Elector Palatine Carl Theodor transferred his court to Munich in 1778, Danzi remained in Mannheim, in the orchestra of the newly established Nationaltheater. He studied composition with G.J. Vogler and before leaving Mannheim wrote a duodrama, a Singspiel and incidental music for at least 8 plays.

In 1784 he was appointed to replace his father as principal cellist in the court orchestra at Munich. Although he wanted to compose operas for the court, Danzi received no commissions until 1789; Die Mitternachtstunde (formerly dated 1788) was not performed until 1798. In 1790 he married the singer Margarethe Marchand who, before her marriage was a famous singer and who had lived for around 2 years in Salzburg at the home of the Mozarts. The couple visited Hamburg, Leipzig, Prague, Florence and Venice, spending two years in the Guardasoni opera/stage company. In 1796 they returned to Munich.

In October 1807, the King of Württemberg offered Danzi the position of Kapellmeister at Stuttgart, where Zumsteeg had been active. There Danzi met Carl Maria von Weber and encouraged the younger composer as he completed his Singspiel Silvana. In 1811 the king established an institute for music: Danzi was appointed a director, to teach composition and supervise instruction on wind instruments. However, he was so overworked between court duties and the institute that he apparently had no time for composition, producing only a single one-act opera and very little other music in his five years in Stuttgart.

Danzi left Stuttgart in 1812 to become Kapellmeister in Karlsruhe. The musical organization there was inexperienced and weak and he spent the rest of his tenure trying to build a respectable company. He remained an active correspondent with Weber and directed his operas soon after their premières. None of his own operas written in Karlsruhe produced a popular success, but during the last decade of his life Danzi found a willing outlet for his instrumental compositions in Mozart publisher Johann André, for whom he provided numerous pieces of chamber music. Amongst them were the works for which he is best known today, his woodwind quintets opp.56, 67 and 68. His music is always genial, anticipating styles such as those of Schubert and Weber.

Franz Danzi (1763-1826)
Concerto for Bassoon
c. 1790
3rd Movement

http://www.mediafire.com/?z4gjtnmyly5

snyprrr

Any specific recommends for Danzi?

DavidW

Snips, Danzi's Sinfonia Concertante is superb! 8)

snyprrr

Quote from: DavidW on July 29, 2009, 02:27:31 PM
Snips, Danzi's Sinfonia Concertante is superb! 8)

Chamber-wise, I mean. Thanks, though!

SonicMan46

Just acquired a new Franz Danzi recording, i.e. Bassoon Quartets w/ Robert Thompson and members of the Coull SQ, and wanted to post in a 'Danzi Thread' and this limited one from a number of years back seems to be it!

One of our former 'notorious' members made the OP w/ a nice short bio review.  But I've enjoyed Danzi's wind music in particular for many years, and thought that I would just re-activate this thread.   

Below I've posted images of the now 9 discs (2-CD Symphony set) that I do have in my collection, hopefully to stimulate interest in this composer and generate comments and other similar or alternate recommendations! :)

chasmaniac

I have the viola/cello duos you note and a collection of flute chamber pieces by Ensemble Les Adieux. Fine fare, methinks.

[asin]B003TZI0DM[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 04, 2012, 08:59:17 AM
Just acquired a new Franz Danzi recording, i.e. Bassoon Quartets w/ Robert Thompson and members of the Coull SQ, and wanted to post in a 'Danzi Thread' and this limited one from a number of years back seems to be it!

One of our former 'notorious' members made the OP w/ a nice short bio review.  But I've enjoyed Danzi's wind music in particular for many years, and thought that I would just re-activate this thread.   

Below I've posted images of the now 9 discs (2-CD Symphony set) that I do have in my collection, hopefully to stimulate interest in this composer and generate comments and other similar or alternate recommendations! :)

I've got the symphonies disc - it's really quite good. I haven't gotten to the others, but I have the Reich chamber music also on my list. It's a dilemma!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

chasmaniac

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 04, 2012, 08:59:17 AM
...thought that I would just re-activate this thread.   

Received these 2 today from BRO and I'm just approaching the end of the piano/wind quintets. This stuff is fantastic!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mc ukrneal

I might have a Danzi dilemna! Which would you recommned?

I can get this one for $28:
[asin]B002AT465O[/asin]

I can get this one for $26:
[asin]B000SQKZ2Y[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on November 09, 2012, 02:38:16 PM
I might have a Danzi dilemna! Which would you recommned?

Danzi - Complete Wind Quintets!

Hi Neal - well the prices are right and so close as to not be an issue; so, period instruments vs. modern ones (I'm assuming the BIS recordings)?  The Berliners not only have the 3 sets of Wind Quintets (Op. 56, 67, 68) but also the Piano Quintets (Op. 41, 53, 54) - now I have the latter w/ Schornsheim & the Das Reichasche Quintett (same group on NCA); in fact, that disc is available @ BRO for $6!

My 'complete' wind quintet recordings are w/ the Michael Thompson WQ (3 discs) - I need to compare my Op. 68 PIs on NCA w/ the modern instruments - might want to obtain the other 2 NCA discs?  But let us know your decision!  Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 10, 2012, 07:10:55 AM
Hi Neal - well the prices are right and so close as to not be an issue; so, period instruments vs. modern ones (I'm assuming the BIS recordings)?  The Berliners not only have the 3 sets of Wind Quintets (Op. 56, 67, 68) but also the Piano Quintets (Op. 41, 53, 54) - now I have the latter w/ Schornsheim & the Das Reichasche Quintett (same group on NCA); in fact, that disc is available @ BRO for $6!

My 'complete' wind quintet recordings are w/ the Michael Thompson WQ (3 discs) - I need to compare my Op. 68 PIs on NCA w/ the modern instruments - might want to obtain the other 2 NCA discs?  But let us know your decision!  Dave :)
Based on the snippets, I think the NCA is a bit more dynamic in contrast. But the BIS has three extra pieces (three whole quintets) and is also well played. I also think I prefer the sound of the horn on the BIS (has a super warm, engaging sound and is a bit more prominent). I think I'd be happy with either one.