The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Mozart Violin Sonatas

(1/15) > >>

Grazioso:
I've been listening to these delightful works played beautifully by Accardo and Canino (part of the Brilliant Mozart box) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for additional recordings.

FideLeo:

--- Quote from: Grazioso on June 01, 2007, 02:50:35 AM ---I've been listening to these delightful works played beautifully by Accardo and Canino (part of the Brilliant Mozart box) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for additional recordings.

--- End quote ---

A recommendation for Jos van Immerseel - Midori Seiler on Zigzag Territories if HIP is desired.

Maciek:
I wonder if anyone could comment on the Kaja Danczowska - Krystian Zimerman recording? I like them but wouldn't call mine an informed opinion.

SimonGodders:
I've had this set for a few years and have never felt the need to acquire another:

If I had the money though, I'ld invest in all the Kagan/Richter on live classics. Bit pricey those discs though...

dirkronk:
As incomplete but generous selections, the performances from Grumiaux/Haskil and (a bit older) Goldberg/Kraus have always been especially endearing to my ears. Availability on CD is another matter; perhaps someone here knows if they're currently in print.

Frankly, not everyone may want an integral set of the Mozart violin sonatas, but I feel safe in recommending this one: Grumiaux's later performances with Klien, augmented with ones by Poulet/Verlet and van Keulen/Brautigam in the complete set on Philips Mozart Edition, may not supplant the Haskil in my affection, but they ARE superb and have provided me with just about all I'd want of these works. Good sound, too. Since acquiring this set last year, I've kept it on my desk at work where I can pull out a disk and pop it into the boombox on (frequent) occasion.

Of course, there are plenty of others to consider (agree about the appeal of Kagan/Richter, for example), both historic and more recent, but the ones above should be on anyone's shortlist to audition.

FWIW,

Dirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version