Author Topic: Mozart Violin Sonatas  (Read 35862 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Mozart Violin Sonatas
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2022, 07:19:54 AM »
If the strength of their Schubert set is anything to go by, this might be indeed very good. Have they recorded all of Mozart's (mature) sonatas?

I think so, but as I say it's not all transferred. I just find it constantly rewarding. This is my version -- used ones there for £12, someone should grab a bargain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Violin-Sonatas-Gyorgy-Pauk/dp/B00023GOLO

One of the amazon reviews says something enigmatic

パウクはフランツ・リスト室内管弦楽団とモーツァルトのヴァイオリンとオーケストラの作品全集も録音していた。ハンガリーの人らしくいぶし銀の音色が魅力的で地味ながらモーツァルティアンなら一度は聴いてみることをお勧めする。一時 駅売りCDでたたき売りされていたがアッという間に姿を消してしまったので、見かけたら迷わず買って損はない。

which google says means

the tone of Ibushi silver is attractive and sober like a Hungarian person.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2022, 07:48:08 AM »
The one you need to have -- you may think I'm pulling your leg but I'm not -- is Pauk & Frankl. One of the LPs has never been transferred but I can let you have it.

Thanks Mandryka for the tip - unfortunately I've not owned a turntable (TT) since 1984 - bought my first CD player then and sold my Denon TT to my BIL for a pittance and sent him all of my LPs - BUT, I do see some of the Pauk recordings on Spotify - will put together a playlist of what is available - there is the one CD on Amazon USA for about $15 - Dave :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Слава Україні!
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2022, 07:52:20 AM »
the tone of Ibushi silver is attractive and sober like a Hungarian person

As clear and illuminating as darkness at midnight.  :D
You are the music while the music lasts. - T. S. Eliot

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2022, 08:32:45 AM »
If the strength of their Schubert set is anything to go by, this might be indeed very good. Have they recorded all of Mozart's (mature) sonatas?

Thanks for mentioning the Schubert - I didn’t know it existed. It sounds utterly charming, right. Sometimes superstar names just don’t pull off the music as well as petits maîtres - Pauk and Frankl are a case in point. 

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
Thanks Mandryka for the tip - unfortunately I've not owned a turntable (TT) since 1984 - bought my first CD player then and sold my Denon TT to my BIL for a pittance and sent him all of my LPs - BUT, I do see some of the Pauk recordings on Spotify - will put together a playlist of what is available - there is the one CD on Amazon USA for about $15 - Dave :)

This BBC CD contains different performances than the old VOX LP set. I'm not sure how they were recorded.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:00:15 AM by Mandryka »