Mozart Violin Sonatas

Started by Grazioso, June 01, 2007, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: Coopmv on April 21, 2013, 12:58:14 PM
I bought the entire series by Podger and Cooper a few months ago to add more HIP and SACD titles to my Mozart collection in addition to the Symphonies by Hogwood and Pinnock, which have been much discussed elsewhere ...

Had any time to listen to the Podger set and give us some thoughts? :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 21, 2013, 02:17:00 PM
Had any time to listen to the Podger set and give us some thoughts? :)

:D

Well, one thought I have is that I really need to get that set. Not that I'm not already overrun with these works, but I have heard Cooper playing elsewhere and I think I would like to hear his Mozart ideas. And Podger, it goes without saying, is always worth a listen.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

Yes, yes you do.  Volume one is great so you can just start there and move on if you like it.  I think that Podger's sweet tone works perfectly for Mozart.

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/5G-U9Ye4l6E

Is there a more interesting performance of the E minor sonata K 304 than this one from Kuijken and Leonhardt?

By more interesting I mean one which brings out better the startling modernity and the mood of emotional resignation.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

TTT after 3 years! 8)  With Mozart, I often like to have a combination of PI and MI recordings - this morning I was listening to my box w/ Podger and Cooper on fortepiano; also own another PI set (of the later works) w/ Breitman and Rivest, so I'm happy in the PI arena w/ these works - would like to add one MI performance at least of the 'mature violin sonatas' - looking on Amazon USA, I just randomly picked the performers shown below - of course, Szeryng & Haebler is an older recording, oft recommended; Stern & Bronfman are mainly 5* on Amazon and at a good price; AS Mutter got some mixed reviews; and Tiberghien/Ibragimova are well received in Fanfare reviews (and have 5 volumes of 2-discs each! BTW, these are selling @ BRO) - would appreciate any comments and further recommendations - thanks all!  Dave :)

Jo498

There is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces). However, I don't know any of the ones you depict.

[asin]‎B000067FH3[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

My Top 3 sets, in no particular order except the first, which is the first:

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Jo498 on October 09, 2021, 09:22:43 AMThere is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces).

I keep wanting that to be re-reissued, either individually or as part of a Zimmermann or Lonquich box. 

One of the highest highlights of the Grumiaux big box is the digital Mozart cycle with Walter Klien.  I've heard no better playing of the works.  Also, Zukerman and Neikrug are far better than they ought to be.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jo498 on October 09, 2021, 09:22:43 AM
There is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces). However, I don't know any of the ones you depict.

Quote from: Todd on October 09, 2021, 10:47:54 AM

I keep wanting that to be re-reissued, either individually or as part of a Zimmermann or Lonquich box. 

One of the highest highlights of the Grumiaux big box is the digital Mozart cycle with Walter Klien.  I've heard no better playing of the works.  Also, Zukerman and Neikrug are far better than they ought to be.

Thanks Jo... & Todd for your responses - looked at the Zimmermann/Lonquich box on Amazon USA, only used available (usually not a problem for me) but would be about $48 USD (checked Presto & JPC but not there); the reviews I found were good.  As for Grumiaux, a few offerings w/  Haskil, but incomplete and not cheap.  As for Szeryng & Haebler, I had a 2-disc set but culled it out (not sure why - old sound? Or preferred my PI recordings?).

The Stern & Bronfman 4-CD offering is a great price but cannot find reviews (except for mostly 5* on Amazon) - it is available on Spotify for a listen.  Finally, Tiberghien/Ibragimova are piquing my interest the most (all 5 2-disc releases available at BRO for $9 each, so a storage issue); but the reviews I've been reading (attached) are just superlative, esp. from Fanfare where comments on all sets are included.  Thanks again - Dave :)

Jo498

I have been so satisfied with Zimmermann that my only other complete (or more than complete) is the box issue with Podger/Cooper.
I recommend the handful? with Kagan and Richter (usually live on Live Classics, but some are on an EMI twofer with Beethoven), I also have a bunch of historical recordings (in the Diapason collection, also some Heifetz) and a cheap selection of Pauk/Frankl (they were on Vox and then incomplete on super cheap Documents/Quadromania).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on October 09, 2021, 11:47:55 PM
I have been so satisfied with Zimmermann that my only other complete (or more than complete) is the box issue with Podger/Cooper.
I recommend the handful? with Kagan and Richter (usually live on Live Classics, but some are on an EMI twofer with Beethoven), I also have a bunch of historical recordings (in the Diapason collection, also some Heifetz) and a cheap selection of Pauk/Frankl (they were on Vox and then incomplete on super cheap Documents/Quadromania).

I don't think that the Pauk was all transferred, it is my favourite of the inauthentic recordings - though I have a soft spot for Danczowska's single CD.

Jo498

I don't know if there might have been a CD set of Pauk/Frankl on Vox. As I wrote the cheapo quadromania is incompetently incomplete with one disc having less than 40 min. playing time. There is another single cheapo CD with lots of overlap but one sonata missing from the quadro but still not complete and a later (I think, maybe live) BBC disc with Pauk.

It should be noted that most sets aren't "complete", usually missing all the early/dubious? sonatas before K 296 and sometimes also the fragments or K 547.

Last night I listened to two sonatas (304 and 380) with Szigeti/Horszowski from the 1950s in the Diapason Mozart box and they were quite interesting, basically the opposite of "china doll" Mozart, i.e. utterly serious, even grim in the e minor.
- Blaise Pascal

Scion7

I have several versions, but I keep going back to this 1977 vinyl box-set:

Which was licensed from MHS by ASV in the early 80's and issued as single LP's:
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Todd

Quote from: jlopes on May 05, 2022, 04:09:54 PM
Have you seen this, Todd? https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9327526--mozart-sonatas-for-violin-and-piano

But only digital, I'm afraid. Better than nothing.

I have seen it now, and I am completely happy with download only.  Thanks for the heads up.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

I know the post is old, but I'm with Florestan, Mutter is my favorite set.

SonicMan46

As I did last year in this thread, let me put a plug in for Alina Ibragimova & Cedric Tiberghien - only two of the five 2-CD sets are shown below; I bought all on BRO for $9 USD each, about 5 bucks a disc!  Plus a joyous and consistent performance throughout - reviews attached for those interested - it's a set considered up there in the top 5 or so of recordings of these works - try a listen on a streaming service.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Podger & Cooper in the 8-CD box, just listening to half the discs today; also own the two sets of Breltman & Rivest (also on period instruments as is the large box) and five 2-disc recordings w/ Tiberghien & Ibragimova - after reviewing the last few pages of this thread, there are 'favs' from others but I'll likely stick w/ what's in my collection - for those 'hunting' for these Wolfie works, reviews attached of the ones shown below.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2022, 07:55:05 AM
Podger & Cooper in the 8-CD box, just listening to half the discs today; also own the two sets of Breltman & Rivest (also on period instruments as is the large box) and five 2-disc recordings w/ Tiberghien & Ibragimova - after reviewing the last few pages of this thread, there are 'favs' from others but I'll likely stick w/ what's in my collection - for those 'hunting' for these Wolfie works, reviews attached of the ones shown below.  Dave :)

The one you need to have -- you may think I'm pulling your leg but I'm not -- is Pauk & Frankl. One of the LPs has never been transferred but I can let you have it.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2022, 08:11:29 AM
The one you need to have -- you may think I'm pulling your leg but I'm not -- is Pauk & Frankl.

If the strength of their Schubert set is anything to go by, this might be indeed very good. Have they recorded all of Mozart's (mature) sonatas?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2022, 08:15:07 AM
If the strength of their Schubert set is anything to go by, this might be indeed very good. Have they recorded all of Mozart's (mature) sonatas?

I think so, but as I say it's not all transferred. I just find it constantly rewarding. This is my version -- used ones there for £12, someone should grab a bargain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Violin-Sonatas-Gyorgy-Pauk/dp/B00023GOLO

One of the amazon reviews says something enigmatic

Quoteパウクはフランツ・リスト室内管弦楽団とモーツァルトのヴァイオリンとオーケストラの作品全集も録音していた。ハンガリーの人らしくいぶし銀の音色が魅力的で地味ながらモーツァルティアンなら一度は聴いてみることをお勧めする。一時 駅売りCDでたたき売りされていたがアッという間に姿を消してしまったので、見かけたら迷わず買って損はない。

which google says means

Quotethe tone of Ibushi silver is attractive and sober like a Hungarian person.