Mozart Violin Sonatas

Started by Grazioso, June 01, 2007, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2022, 08:11:29 AM
The one you need to have -- you may think I'm pulling your leg but I'm not -- is Pauk & Frankl. One of the LPs has never been transferred but I can let you have it.

Thanks Mandryka for the tip - unfortunately I've not owned a turntable (TT) since 1984 - bought my first CD player then and sold my Denon TT to my BIL for a pittance and sent him all of my LPs - BUT, I do see some of the Pauk recordings on Spotify - will put together a playlist of what is available - there is the one CD on Amazon USA for about $15 - Dave :)

Florestan

the tone of Ibushi silver is attractive and sober like a Hungarian person

As clear and illuminating as darkness at midnight.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2022, 08:15:07 AM
If the strength of their Schubert set is anything to go by, this might be indeed very good. Have they recorded all of Mozart's (mature) sonatas?

Thanks for mentioning the Schubert - I didn't know it existed. It sounds utterly charming, right. Sometimes superstar names just don't pull off the music as well as petits maîtres - Pauk and Frankl are a case in point. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2022, 08:48:08 AM
Thanks Mandryka for the tip - unfortunately I've not owned a turntable (TT) since 1984 - bought my first CD player then and sold my Denon TT to my BIL for a pittance and sent him all of my LPs - BUT, I do see some of the Pauk recordings on Spotify - will put together a playlist of what is available - there is the one CD on Amazon USA for about $15 - Dave :)

This BBC CD contains different performances than the old VOX LP set. I'm not sure how they were recorded.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Anooj

What about this set? Does anyone have opinions on it?

Florestan

Quote from: Anooj on April 15, 2023, 04:20:04 PMWhat about this set? Does anyone have opinions on it?

I have it but never listened to it in its entirety. Based on what what I heard, I like it --- but then again I'm a Mozart fanatic and I have yet to hear a bad violin sonatas set. FWIW, my top three are Mutter/Orkis, Schneiderhan/Seeman and Boskovsky/Kraus.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on April 16, 2023, 04:34:22 AMI have it but never listened to it in its entirety. Based on what what I heard, I like it --- but then again I'm a Mozart fanatic and I have yet to hear a bad violin sonatas set. FWIW, my top three are Mutter/Orkis, Schneiderhan/Seeman and Boskovsky/Kraus.

Oh I love Mutter in Mozart VSs!  That makes me think I should check out the other two.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on April 16, 2023, 05:06:35 AMOh I love Mutter in Mozart VSs! 

A man after my own heart!  8)

Her Mozart Violin Concertos are very good as well, give them a try if you haven't already. Paradoxically, much less interventionist than in the violin sonatas.  :D