Mozart Violin Sonatas

Started by Grazioso, June 01, 2007, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazioso

I've been listening to these delightful works played beautifully by Accardo and Canino (part of the Brilliant Mozart box) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for additional recordings.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

FideLeo

Quote from: Grazioso on June 01, 2007, 03:50:35 AM
I've been listening to these delightful works played beautifully by Accardo and Canino (part of the Brilliant Mozart box) and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for additional recordings.

A recommendation for Jos van Immerseel - Midori Seiler on Zigzag Territories if HIP is desired.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Maciek

I wonder if anyone could comment on the Kaja Danczowska - Krystian Zimerman recording? I like them but wouldn't call mine an informed opinion.

SimonGodders

I've had this set for a few years and have never felt the need to acquire another:

If I had the money though, I'ld invest in all the Kagan/Richter on live classics. Bit pricey those discs though...

dirkronk

As incomplete but generous selections, the performances from Grumiaux/Haskil and (a bit older) Goldberg/Kraus have always been especially endearing to my ears. Availability on CD is another matter; perhaps someone here knows if they're currently in print.

Frankly, not everyone may want an integral set of the Mozart violin sonatas, but I feel safe in recommending this one: Grumiaux's later performances with Klien, augmented with ones by Poulet/Verlet and van Keulen/Brautigam in the complete set on Philips Mozart Edition, may not supplant the Haskil in my affection, but they ARE superb and have provided me with just about all I'd want of these works. Good sound, too. Since acquiring this set last year, I've kept it on my desk at work where I can pull out a disk and pop it into the boombox on (frequent) occasion.

Of course, there are plenty of others to consider (agree about the appeal of Kagan/Richter, for example), both historic and more recent, but the ones above should be on anyone's shortlist to audition.

FWIW,

Dirk

Que

My recommendation (HIP) - super!

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 01, 2007, 09:00:25 AM

Q

Q - I've been looking for some HIP performances of these works - currently just own half of these pieces on a Philips Duo w/ Ingrid Haebler & Henryk Szeryng - excellent discs, well performed, and highly recommended; could just obtained their other volume, but  those Analekta releases are indeed enticing - quick question, are these packaged like the Philips Duos, i.e. 2 discs inside a single-sized jewel box?  Always thinking of storage room, 'ya know!  ;D  Thanks - Dave  :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on June 01, 2007, 09:16:25 AM
...but  those Analekta releases are indeed enticing - quick question, are these packaged like the Philips Duos, i.e. 2 discs inside a single-sized jewel box? 

Dave, yes they are in slim double CD boxes. :)

BTW, some reviews: volume 1, volume 2.
Note that Classicstoday mixed up covers and content (cover of no.2 with no.1, content of no.1 with no.2 - but the reviews themselves are on the correct volume! ;D

Q

Josquin des Prez

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 01, 2007, 09:35:47 AM
Dave, yes they are in slim double CD boxes. :)

BTW, some reviews: volume 1, volume 2.
Note that Classicstoday mixed up covers and content (cover of no.2 with no.1, content of no.1 with no.2 - but the reviews themselves are on the correct volume! ;D

Q - thanks for the comments & links - read both reviews (9/9 & 10/10) - will put these sets on my list!  :D

BorisG

Gurn Blanston

Q

Absolutely! My favorite cycle; wonderful playing, great sound from the instruments. I thought I was content with what I had until I got these!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 01, 2007, 05:44:48 PM
Absolutely! My favorite cycle; wonderful playing, great sound from the instruments. I thought I was content with what I had until I got these!   :)

8)

Gurn - thanks for the re-inforcement - already on my order list - just need to add a few more!  Dave  :D

Steve

Q

Hmm, I could use a HIP cycle of these. For some reason, the only complete set of these I have remains the DG Boxed Set with Perlman.

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on March 30, 2009, 08:09:31 AM
The recordings which have given me the greatest pleasure are those by Szigeti.

But then he is my favourite violinist of all time, and I can see that he may not be everyone's cup of tea. He's a strong personality with a rather unusual fiddle tone.  So try before you buy!

If you mean the Szigeti Mozart Sonatas with Horszowski and Szell on Vanguard: these were recorded rather late in Szigeti's career and they are very hard to listen to, what with his very insecure intonation.

Mozart: Haskil / Grumiaux

Beethoven: Casadesus / Francescatti

Que

Quote from: bwv 1080 on March 30, 2009, 07:03:29 AM
Phillips has Grumeiux on a complete Mozart set, which is hard to beat

Sorin Eushayson

Oh yes, I went ahead and got these due to the recommendations found here and thought it was a superb set.  Great performances and the tone of these wonderful instruments is captured well.  A must-have.

George

I only have one set but I love it. Lupu/Goldberg on Decca. 

Josquin des Prez

I've been listening to the whole set recently, and it seems not all of the sonatas are of the same quality, even among the mature works. For those who are new and want to focus on the essential, i'd recommend the k377 to k380, then k454 and k526.

Antoine Marchand

For HIP fans this is not a bad idea at all:

Sigiswald Kuijken - Violin (Giovanni Grancino, Milano ca. 1700)
Luc Devos - Fortepiano (Claude Kelecom, Brussels 1978 after J.A. Stein, Augsburg 1788: disc 1-3; Brussels 2001 after J.A. Stein, Augsburg 1788: disc 4-5)

5 CDs (although the fifth one lasts just nineteen minutes), Accent, 1991-2005