Mozart Violin Sonatas

Started by Grazioso, June 01, 2007, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on April 10, 2011, 10:39:00 AM
Well, I was not planning on obtaining another set of these works, love my HIP performances from the previous page of this thread -  :D

But, these older recordings (1969 & 72) w/ Henryk Szeryng & Ingrid Haebler were released recently in a 4-disc box (2CD sized jewel box) at a good price on the Amazon MP; believe these were one of the favs in the old vinyl days - also received a great review in the Mar-April issue of the American Record Guide (attached) - so took a chance!

Well, I've gone through the set twice; recorded sound for the era is superb (a few clicks & pops) w/o surface noise; both instruments are up front w/ some dominance by the pianist (believe a point of discussion previously) - Szeryng is exquisite on the violin - even did some 'back to back' comparisons w/ my HIP set, and these older performances stand up quite well.  For the price, a recommendation for these historic recordings from two superb performers -  :)

I bought this wonderful set a few months ago.  I am glad that Newton Classic has released this set, which has been OOP for some times.  These recordings might have been released by Philips as singles back in the 60's or early 70's.  These old masters Szeryng and Haebler have stood the test of time very well IMO ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on April 10, 2011, 10:50:39 AM
I bought this wonderful set a few months ago.  I am glad that Newton Classic has released this set, which has been OOP for some times.  These recordings might have been released by Philips as singles back in the 60's or early 70's.  These old masters Szeryng and Haebler have stood the test of time very well IMO ...

Stuart - glad that you also enjoy these recordings; I was amazed (at their age), just how good these performances are!  Dave  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on April 10, 2011, 02:41:59 PM
Stuart - glad that you also enjoy these recordings; I was amazed (at their age), just how good these performances are!  Dave  :)

I have always wondered how the current violin sensations such as Julia Fischer and Janine Jansen stack up against those old masters such as Henryk Szeryng, Arthur Grumiaux and Nathan Milstein?  To be sure, most of them had passed on before the HIP era really took off ...

coffee

There are a lot of them!

Which are your favorites?

Which seem to you to be the most famous or popular?

Which would you most highly recommend to a beginner in classical music?
Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

coffee

Quote from: Opus106 on August 04, 2012, 06:49:41 AM
It's all here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1290

Thank you. It was an interesting thread. Only one of the posts discussed which sonatas to listen to first, which is what I'm really interested. But one is better than none. And other comments on there were interesting.

I think I've found a way to answer my own question, but if anyone has comments on that, I'd be interested.
Liberty for the wolf is death for the lamb.

The Raven

My recommendations would be:
K296, K301, K302, K303, K304, K305, K306, K376, K377, K378, K379, K380, K454, K481, K526 and K547

K296, K301, K304, K378 and K454 should be the most popular five of them.

Listen to any of them.

K301,K304,K376 and K526 by Hahn and Zhu
K376, K378 and K379 by Kagan and Richter
and all of them by Goldberg and Lupu in addition with Podger and Cooper

Opus106

Quote from: coffee on August 04, 2012, 09:13:40 AM
Only one of the posts discussed which sonatas to listen to first, which is what I'm really interested. But one is better than none. And other comments on there were interesting.

I think it speaks about my time spent in GMG: as soon as a topic seeking recommendations pop up, I assume it's about recordings. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

listener

I have the Willi Boskovsky/Lilli Kraus set in a stack to be played eventually.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Jem

Gil Shaham plays them absolutely beautifully – such unassuming poise always, whether he's playing Mozart or Bartok Violin Concerto No.2

Here's a youtube video of the famous E minor: the user has put loads of vids so this is not the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-FCsatmTM

George

Quote from: The Raven on August 04, 2012, 09:30:31 AM
and all of them by Goldberg and Lupu in addition with Podger and Cooper

Agreed, though Grumiaux and Haskil are even better. Shame they didn't record them all.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jem on August 07, 2012, 05:24:14 AM
Gil Shaham plays them absolutely beautifully – such unassuming poise always, whether he's playing Mozart or Bartok Violin Concerto No.2

Here's a youtube video of the famous E minor: the user has put loads of vids so this is not the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-FCsatmTM

The playing is lovely, I'm a fan of the Shaham siblings, but the power of the piano just steamrollered me. These instruments work much better for Dvorak and Brahms than for Mozart... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

The Raven

Quote from: George on August 07, 2012, 06:23:58 AM
though Grumiaux and Haskil are even better.

for a beginner it'd be my 3rd choice :)

The Raven

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 07, 2012, 06:30:27 AM
I'm a fan of the Shaham siblings, but the power of the piano just steamrollered me.

I absolutely agree with you. I don't like Hagai's Grieg but Gil's Brahms' and Bruch's concertos, Brahms' double with Wang, Beethoven's triple with Bronfman, romances, septet with Reid, Franck's violin sonata are all among my favorites

J.A.W.

How are the Arthur Grumiaux/Walter Klien interpretations rated compared to the Grumiaux/Clara Haskil ones?
Hans

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: J.A.W. on April 20, 2013, 03:46:34 PM
How are the Arthur Grumiaux/Walter Klien interpretations rated compared to the Grumiaux/Clara Haskil ones?

I used to have the Grumiaux/Klien set. And I currently own one of the Grumiaux/Haskil discs with K.378, et. al.

The sound on the Haskil disc is problematic. Neither instrument sounds natural - each has an outsized profile that is almost blatty. Further, neither seem to inhabit the same acoustic, with the violin very forward and the piano muddy (yet still outsized). The net result being a lack of blend. Not much interplay. (Philips had better days).

The Klien set is much better recorded and the sense of interplay is palpable. The music-making is as fine as it gets. I only wish I could time travel and un-cull that puppy.

Another fine disc is this one with Dumay/Pires. Very musical with excellent interplay.

[asin]B000001GF1[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 07, 2012, 06:30:27 AM
The playing is lovely, I'm a fan of the Shaham siblings, but the power of the piano just steamrollered me. These instruments work much better for Dvorak and Brahms than for Mozart... :-\

8)

Now, now, don't encourage them!  There are HIPster Brahms fans out there that want more HIP recordings. :P

On a slightly more serious note this is one of my favorite recordings ever.  Great stuff:

North Star

Quote from: The Raven on August 07, 2012, 07:07:45 AM
I absolutely agree with you. I don't like Hagai's Grieg but Gil's Brahms' and Bruch's concertos, Brahms' double with Wang, Beethoven's triple with Bronfman, romances, septet with Reid, Franck's violin sonata are all among my favorites

Is Hagai related to Gil and Orli?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

Coopmv

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 21, 2013, 05:00:28 AM
Now, now, don't encourage them!  There are HIPster Brahms fans out there that want more HIP recordings. :P

On a slightly more serious note this is one of my favorite recordings ever.  Great stuff:

I bought the entire series by Podger and Cooper a few months ago to add more HIP and SACD titles to my Mozart collection in addition to the Symphonies by Hogwood and Pinnock, which have been much discussed elsewhere ...