Author Topic: Mozart Violin Sonatas  (Read 33171 times)

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Beethoven, Berlioz, Couperin, Debussy, Haydn, Lully, Rameau, Ravel
Re: Mozart Violin Sonatas
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I bought the entire series by Podger and Cooper a few months ago to add more HIP and SACD titles to my Mozart collection in addition to the Symphonies by Hogwood and Pinnock, which have been much discussed elsewhere ...

Had any time to listen to the Podger set and give us some thoughts? :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
Had any time to listen to the Podger set and give us some thoughts? :)

:D

Well, one thought I have is that I really need to get that set. Not that I'm not already overrun with these works, but I have heard Cooper playing elsewhere and I think I would like to hear his Mozart ideas. And Podger, it goes without saying, is always worth a listen.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Geo Dude

• Veteran member
  • Pipe Organ Addict
    • My Blog
    Beethoven, Berlioz, Couperin, Debussy, Haydn, Lully, Rameau, Ravel
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
Yes, yes you do.  Volume one is great so you can just start there and move on if you like it.  I think that Podger's sweet tone works perfectly for Mozart.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5G-U9Ye4l6E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5G-U9Ye4l6E</a>

Is there a more interesting performance of the E minor sonata K 304 than this one from Kuijken and Leonhardt?

By more interesting I mean one which brings out better the startling modernity and the mood of emotional resignation.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2021, 08:58:56 AM »
TTT after 3 years! 8)  With Mozart, I often like to have a combination of PI and MI recordings - this morning I was listening to my box w/ Podger and Cooper on fortepiano; also own another PI set (of the later works) w/ Breitman and Rivest, so I'm happy in the PI arena w/ these works - would like to add one MI performance at least of the 'mature violin sonatas' - looking on Amazon USA, I just randomly picked the performers shown below - of course, Szeryng & Haebler is an older recording, oft recommended; Stern & Bronfman are mainly 5* on Amazon and at a good price; AS Mutter got some mixed reviews; and Tiberghien/Ibragimova are well received in Fanfare reviews (and have 5 volumes of 2-discs each! BTW, these are selling @ BRO) - would appreciate any comments and further recommendations - thanks all!  Dave :)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »
There is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces). However, I don't know any of the ones you depict.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2021, 09:31:12 AM »
My Top 3 sets, in no particular order except the first, which is the first:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 09:33:35 AM by Florestan »
"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one-half that you see." - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
There is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces).

I keep wanting that to be re-reissued, either individually or as part of a Zimmermann or Lonquich box. 

One of the highest highlights of the Grumiaux big box is the digital Mozart cycle with Walter Klien.  I've heard no better playing of the works.  Also, Zukerman and Neikrug are far better than they ought to be.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2021, 11:23:20 AM »
There is a great modern (rec. early 1990s) set on EMI with a good balance between the musicians that used to be very cheap with Frank Peter Zimmermann and Alexander Lonquich (who has one 5th disc for himself with piano solo pieces). However, I don't know any of the ones you depict.

I keep wanting that to be re-reissued, either individually or as part of a Zimmermann or Lonquich box. 

One of the highest highlights of the Grumiaux big box is the digital Mozart cycle with Walter Klien.  I've heard no better playing of the works.  Also, Zukerman and Neikrug are far better than they ought to be.

Thanks Jo... & Todd for your responses - looked at the Zimmermann/Lonquich box on Amazon USA, only used available (usually not a problem for me) but would be about $48 USD (checked Presto & JPC but not there); the reviews I found were good.  As for Grumiaux, a few offerings w/  Haskil, but incomplete and not cheap.  As for Szeryng & Haebler, I had a 2-disc set but culled it out (not sure why - old sound? Or preferred my PI recordings?).

The Stern & Bronfman 4-CD offering is a great price but cannot find reviews (except for mostly 5* on Amazon) - it is available on Spotify for a listen.  Finally, Tiberghien/Ibragimova are piquing my interest the most (all 5 2-disc releases available at BRO for $9 each, so a storage issue); but the reviews I've been reading (attached) are just superlative, esp. from Fanfare where comments on all sets are included.  Thanks again - Dave :)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2021, 11:47:55 PM »
I have been so satisfied with Zimmermann that my only other complete (or more than complete) is the box issue with Podger/Cooper.
I recommend the handful? with Kagan and Richter (usually live on Live Classics, but some are on an EMI twofer with Beethoven), I also have a bunch of historical recordings (in the Diapason collection, also some Heifetz) and a cheap selection of Pauk/Frankl (they were on Vox and then incomplete on super cheap Documents/Quadromania).
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2021, 11:56:12 PM »
I have been so satisfied with Zimmermann that my only other complete (or more than complete) is the box issue with Podger/Cooper.
I recommend the handful? with Kagan and Richter (usually live on Live Classics, but some are on an EMI twofer with Beethoven), I also have a bunch of historical recordings (in the Diapason collection, also some Heifetz) and a cheap selection of Pauk/Frankl (they were on Vox and then incomplete on super cheap Documents/Quadromania).

I don’t think that the Pauk was all transferred, it is my favourite of the inauthentic recordings - though I have a soft spot for Danczowska’s single CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2021, 12:15:37 AM »
I don't know if there might have been a CD set of Pauk/Frankl on Vox. As I wrote the cheapo quadromania is incompetently incomplete with one disc having less than 40 min. playing time. There is another single cheapo CD with lots of overlap but one sonata missing from the quadro but still not complete and a later (I think, maybe live) BBC disc with Pauk.

It should be noted that most sets aren't "complete", usually missing all the early/dubious? sonatas before K 296 and sometimes also the fragments or K 547.

Last night I listened to two sonatas (304 and 380) with Szigeti/Horszowski from the 1950s in the Diapason Mozart box and they were quite interesting, basically the opposite of "china doll" Mozart, i.e. utterly serious, even grim in the e minor.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • A vajda az én dolgom, és az üzlet jó.
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2021, 01:14:13 PM »
I have several versions, but I keep going back to this 1977 vinyl box-set:

Which was licensed from MHS by ASV in the early 80's and issued as single LP's:
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal