Prokofiev piano concerti

Started by PaulR, June 03, 2009, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

last time I was at a Barnes and Nobles (The only store that has a decent classical music selection in my area ((But it's not good either)) had 2 sets of his Prokofiev piano concerti.  One was Beroff/Masur/Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig and the other was Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO.   I was wondering which one is a better set, or if some other set is better, I would like to try to get it.  :)

thanks.

Dancing Divertimentian

There are better sets, IMO, than either Ashkenazy or Beroff. Starting with Browning/Leinsdorf on Testament. Much more fire and reflection respectively.

For individual performances, Katchen/Kertész (Decca) tops them all in the 3rd PC and Richter (DG) is superb in the 5th.

And Paik/Wit on Naxos do a wonderful 1, 3, & 4 (haven't heard the rest of the set).

Of course, none of these are as easy to "snap up" as Ashkenazy or Beroff but to me it's been worth the extra outlay and effort to hear these worthwhile alternatives. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

eyeresist

Ashkenazy/Previn is supposed to be great, but I haven't heard it. I have the Beroff - the performances are stirring and well played, and I feel no driving need to supplement it, except of course for the essential Richter/Rowicki recording of the 5th (which I do have).

George

Quote from: Ring of Fire on June 03, 2009, 08:04:37 PM
last time I was at a Barnes and Nobles (The only store that has a decent classical music selection in my area ((But it's not good either)) had 2 sets of his Prokofiev piano concerti.  One was Beroff/Masur/Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig and the other was Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO.   I was wondering which one is a better set, or if some other set is better, I would like to try to get it.  :)

thanks.

I prefer the Beroff/Masur. A bit more excitement, though I would like even more.

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 03, 2009, 09:09:30 PM
And Paik/Wit on Naxos do a wonderful 1, 3, & 4 (haven't heard the rest of the set).

I have both CDs in that series. I have been meaning to compare them to the Beroff set, along with some individual recordings that I picked up recently.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I have been listening various recordings of the concerti around No. 1-3, including Argerich (A and D), Kissin, Lang Lang, Toradze, Paik, Bavouzet, etc. I didn't bother Ashkenazy since I don't like him anyway.
I think I like the recordings by Krainev (with Moscow PO, not Frankfurt O), Gutierrez, and Lugansky. Especially the former two recordings offer wild, lively performance of Nos. 1 and 3.
I would love to hear senior members' opinion about these, or other, recordings.

Post ed: probably connoisseurs would rate Bavouzet highly.

Daverz

Quote from: Forever Electoral College on September 13, 2019, 04:44:28 PM
I have been listening various recordings of the concerti around No. 1-3, including Argerich (A and D), Kissin, Lang Lang, Toradze, Paik, Bavouzet, etc. I didn't bother Ashkenazy since I don't like him anyway.
I think I like the recordings by Krainev (with Moscow PO, not Frankfurt O), Gutierrez, and Lugansky. Especially the former two recordings offer wild, lively performance of Nos. 1 and 3.
Thanks.

I've been listening to Shelest in 2 lately.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEeLrRVqL.jpg

Then there are Yundi Li and Yuja Wang.

Karl Henning

Quote from: PaulR on June 03, 2009, 08:04:37 PM

thanks.

I have the Béroff, and like it very well, I haven't heard the Ashkenazy, and so cannot offer a comparison.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Yes great performance. The recording, and its sound, is a little old.
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2019, 06:01:40 PM
I have the Béroff, and like it very well, I haven't heard the Ashkenazy, and so cannot offer a comparison.

Jo498

Great sound and impressive but mostly fairly slow so maybe not everyone's cup of tea is Toradze/Gergiev (Philips). But AFAIR the sound of Béroff/Masur was good enough for me.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Herman

I like the Toradze, too. One might say it's a little invested in the 'brutal' idea of Prokofieff playing, which isn't necesaarily the way one should. But the Toradze - Gergiev - Mariinsky is a great cooperation of like minds.

The Krainev is very good, too.

The problem with the Gutierrez is IMHO that the Concertgebouw-acoustic (as rendered by Chandos) isn't terribly helpful for the rhythmic acuities of Prokofieff. (Most of the acoustic problems stem from the engineering desk rather than the hall itself, but never mind.)

I would recommend to you the 5th concerto. It's a wonderful piece, but it's like people just give up after nr.3.

Jo498

My favorite by a huge margin is #2 but I never really understood why #4 and #5 are so comparably neglected.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nowadays I am listening the Concerti 1 and 3 by Graffman with Szell/Cleveland Orch. In general, I prefer new recordings to old "classic" recordings. But I like the Graffman's performance, which was recorded in the 1960s. The music is very colorful and exuberant, and Cleveland Orch evinces its dexterity and musical depth.

SonicMan46

Well, I'm on Prokofiev in my collection perusal - as to the Piano Concertos, Bavouzet is my only 'complete' set and for decades I've kept Martha Argerich in No. 3 as one of those kind of 'historic' recordings - for those wondering about Jean-Efflam's performances of these works see the attachment of about a half dozen reviews, all excellent except for Hurwitz from ClassicsToday who has some demerits, not deserved IMO -  :laugh:  Dave

Jo498

For slow, powerful, "russian" and very good sound, I can again recommend Toradze/Gergiev. Toradze died a a few weeks ago.

edit:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/arts/music/alexander-toradze-dead.html
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

Sad to hear. Toradze introduced me to Prokofiev 2 at the 2007 Proms and it remains my favourite piano concerto to this day.

RIP

rachmaninoff

Hello, in terms of integrals, the first one for which I have kept a particular affection is Tacchino with Louis de Froment (VOX). We are very far, in my opinion, from the requirements of the scores; the tempi are very slow, especially the 2nd...but it is with this interpretation that I discovered the 2nd. As much as Beroff excited me, I come back with pleasure to Tacchino which is totally the opposite, especially with a 3rd zone orchestra...(orchestra of the Luxembourg Television I think).

Jo498

I have three complete recordings, Beroff/Masur, Toradze/Gergiev, Browning/Leinsdorf (in the cheap "white" box") and in addition several recordings of the 3rd in some anthologies/boxes, 2+4 with Bronfman/Mehta (this was my first CD of the music and I still quite like it although I don't think that set is so highly regarded), Richter in #5. This is plenty and I like most of them well enough and they also have sufficiently good sound/recording quality for my needs. This often very brilliant music (both piano and orchestra) does benefit from at least modern stereo sound, I think.
- Blaise Pascal

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Jo498 on May 24, 2022, 03:06:02 AM
I have three complete recordings, Beroff/Masur, Toradze/Gergiev, Browning/Leinsdorf (in the cheap "white" box") and in addition several recordings of the 3rd in some anthologies/boxes, 2+4 with Bronfman/Mehta (this was my first CD of the music and I still quite like it although I don't think that set is so highly regarded), Richter in #5. This is plenty and I like most of them well enough and they also have sufficiently good sound/recording quality for my needs. This often very brilliant music (both piano and orchestra) does benefit from at least modern stereo sound, I think.

Great performances by the piano and orchestra. I wish the piano were recorded/miked better, a few times the notes become unclear. Again, nice recording.

staxomega

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 13, 2019, 04:44:28 PM

Post ed: probably connoisseurs would rate Bavouzet highly.

Do you mind expanding on the differences in the Moscow PO and Frankfurt Krainev/Kitajenko cycles? And how is the sound on the former? Thanks.