Prokofiev piano concerti

Started by PaulR, June 03, 2009, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: hvbias on June 24, 2022, 12:02:06 PM
Do you mind expanding on the differences in the Moscow PO and Frankfurt Krainev/Kitajenko cycles? And how is the sound on the former? Thanks.

It's my subjective opinion. Both the albums are very good.
I think the Moscow is more lively and colorful overall. The rec sound of the Moscow is better, imo.

MusicTurner

I totally agree. In a few concerto movements, there are more marked timing/phrasing differences too.

staxomega

Thanks. For some reason this is not showing up on Qobuz even with the four or five different spellings of Kitajenko, unless someone else's search skills are better than mine and can point it out. It is on Spotify but I have no way to connect that to my hifi.

DavidW

Quote from: hvbias on June 25, 2022, 11:55:16 AM
Thanks. For some reason this is not showing up on Qobuz even with the four or five different spellings of Kitajenko, unless someone else's search skills are better than mine and can point it out. It is on Spotify but I have no way to connect that to my hifi.

Just search Qobuz for Krainev instead.  I got it that way.

staxomega

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2022, 12:15:50 PM
Just search Qobuz for Krainev instead.  I got it that way.

Is the full cycle from Melodiya available on Qobuz? I was only able to find Piano Concerto 5 on "EMG Classical."

DavidW

Quote from: hvbias on June 26, 2022, 03:32:31 AM
Is the full cycle from Melodiya available on Qobuz? I was only able to find Piano Concerto 5 on "EMG Classical."

I'm sorry I didn't follow the thread closely enough.  I didn't realize that there are two sets, I was talking about the Teldec one.  So ignore me.

Atriod

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2022, 07:46:09 PMIt's my subjective opinion. Both the albums are very good.
I think the Moscow is more lively and colorful overall. The rec sound of the Moscow is better, imo.

After buying some tickets to see Prokofiev Piano Concerto 2 (knocking it off the bucket list, first time and with my favorite current performing pianist!) and Pathetique (will be the 4th time) I went into some comparisons with cycles- I completely agree with you on the Krainev/Moscow Phil cycle, I universally prefer it to Krainev Frankfurt. Also included Ashkenazy's very solid (no misses in the cycle) in the mix but when compared against Krainev/Moscow Phil/Kitajenko could not match their passion and intensity. Beroff/Masur was also solid throughout, in the same leagues as Ashkenazy. Next will be revisiting Kun-Woo Paik and Bronfman. In the last few years Prokofiev may just barely not make my top 10 composer list, I've really started to love his music.

I'd like to see Melodiya do a Prokofiev box like they did for Rachmaninoff with rarities that were either vinyl only or really hard to find on CD.

Brian

Quote from: Atriod on December 05, 2023, 12:14:09 PMAfter buying some tickets to see Prokofiev Piano Concerto 2 (knocking it off the bucket list, first time and with my favorite current performing pianist!)
Who are you seeing it with? We've got Kozhukhin doing it in May; I don't know much about his work, but also knocking the piece off my live bucket list.

Jo498

The 2nd pc is probably my favorite work by Prokofiev (and after Bartok my fav 20th century pc), I heard it once in concert in ca. 1996 with Craig Sheppard and the U of Washington orchestra. IIRC Sheppard played both #1 and #2 in 2 different concerts but maybe it was a different pianist in #1.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Atriod

Quote from: Brian on December 05, 2023, 12:52:37 PMWho are you seeing it with? We've got Kozhukhin doing it in May; I don't know much about his work, but also knocking the piece off my live bucket list.

Also May! Sergei Babayan/Yaniv Dinur/New Bedford Symphony Orchestra.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Atriod on December 05, 2023, 12:14:09 PMAfter buying some tickets to see Prokofiev Piano Concerto 2 (knocking it off the bucket list, first time and with my favorite current performing pianist!) and Pathetique (will be the 4th time) I went into some comparisons with cycles- I completely agree with you on the Krainev/Moscow Phil cycle, I universally prefer it to Krainev Frankfurt. Also included Ashkenazy's very solid (no misses in the cycle) in the mix but when compared against Krainev/Moscow Phil/Kitajenko could not match their passion and intensity. Beroff/Masur was also solid throughout, in the same leagues as Ashkenazy. Next will be revisiting Kun-Woo Paik and Bronfman. In the last few years Prokofiev may just barely not make my top 10 composer list, I've really started to love his music.

I'd like to see Melodiya do a Prokofiev box like they did for Rachmaninoff with rarities that were either vinyl only or really hard to find on CD.

You may like Browning/Leinsdorf as well.  The no.3 by Weissenberg/Ozawa is wild, but I don't know if you'll like it. 

Atriod

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 05, 2023, 04:35:28 PMYou may like Browning/Leinsdorf as well.  The no.3 by Weissenberg/Ozawa is wild, but I don't know if you'll like it. 

I really liked the Browning/Leinsdorf, the Sony transfers sound better than the Testament. I don't get along with Weissenberg, probably a distant future listen  :laugh:

We seem to share tastes in Scriabin too, someone asked me about Igor Zhukov's Melodiya cycle on another forum and I grabbed it out storage to listen to, extremely good, interpreted like Richter. I then went to the Scriabin thread here and saw you recommend it to someone.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Atriod on December 07, 2023, 06:29:26 AMI really liked the Browning/Leinsdorf, the Sony transfers sound better than the Testament. I don't get along with Weissenberg, probably a distant future listen  :laugh:

We seem to share tastes in Scriabin too, someone asked me about Igor Zhukov's Melodiya cycle on another forum and I grabbed it out storage to listen to, extremely good, interpreted like Richter. I then went to the Scriabin thread here and saw you recommend it to someone.

Yes the Weissenberg sounds like the Beatles' Helter Skelter.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 07, 2023, 02:02:08 PMYes the Weissenberg sounds like the Beatles' Helter Skelter.

Just tried to send you a PM but your index is full.

On topic, I have been listening to the Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO recordings lately. Would love to hear the Browning/Leinsdorf.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 10, 2023, 08:53:36 AMJust tried to send you a PM but your index is full.

On topic, I have been listening to the Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO recordings lately. Would love to hear the Browning/Leinsdorf.

Working on it.