The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Contemporary jazz

(1/3) > >>

Henk:
I repeat my message (originally posted in the "Non-classical music listening thread"):

I see nobody here listening to contemporary (jazz) music where I like to listen to. People here seem to think that only Miles Davis, John Coltrane and some other well-known jazz-musicians count in the jazz world. But nowadays these contemporary groups, musicians are at the same level of artistry then the well-known older names and have taken jazz to other directions: AlasNoAxis, Paul Motian, Wayne Horvitz, Rudresh Mahanthappa, Dave Douglas, David Murray, Ahmad Jamal, Roy Hargrove, vocalists Rebecca Martin, Jennifer Sanon, Rosa Passos and Sachal Vasandani and european impro of Fuhler, Kaufmann, De Joode, Mengelberg, Baars.

Check them out! I would like to post a list with recommended albums for those who feel challenged.

Archaic Torso of Apollo:
Hm, I thought about starting a "Jazz since 1970" thread here, but you beat me to it  :)

On this subject I know a little but would like to know more...I've got some discs by the likes of Dave Holland, Brad Mehldau, Keith Jarrett, Michael Brecker...still, it's hard to beat the established classics. Recently I listed my 8 Desert Island Jazz Albums and there was only one from after 1970 (Holland's Conference of the Birds).

Josquin des Prez:

--- Quote from: Henk on June 05, 2009, 02:16:35 AM ---But nowadays these contemporary groups, musicians are at the same level of artistry then the well-known older names

--- End quote ---

If you say so. I'll check those names out. If they suck i'm going to hunt you down, how about that.

Dr. Dread:
Except for rare exceptions, I can't seem to get past the '60s.

Brewski:
I have a lot of ECM releases from the last 20 years or so, including Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Ralph Towner and Lyle Mays (just off the top of my head).  Garbarek has been a fave for a long time.

And a lot of my contemporary jazz is by Louisiana-based artists (many writing in a more retro style), e.g. Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys, Dwayne Dopsie & the Zydeco Hellraisers, Rockin' Dopsie Jr. and the New Orleans Jazz Vipers.

Henk, by all means post more of your favorites.

--Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version