A monetary question for lp experts

Started by matti, June 05, 2009, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matti

I bought some lps from flee market today, 50 cents each:

Khachaturian: Spartacus; Gayaneh, Vienna Philharmonic/Khachaturian (Decca,1962)
Dvorak: 9th Symphony, BPO/Kubelik (DGG, 1973)
Beethoven: Symphonies 4 & 8, Minneapolis SO/ Dorati (Mercury)
Bartok: PC 1&2, Kocsis, Budapest Symphony Orch/Lehel (Hungaroton, 1972)
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Dance Suite, LSO/Solti (Decca, 1965)
Stravinsky: The Firebird, FNO/Maazel (Concert Hall, 60's)

All in mint condition, also the covers. I know they are worth more than I paid for them, and the question is, should I start looking for a new house, a new car or a new pair of socks? :D A layman's hunch is that the Khachaturian might be a rarity.

I have a pretty large collection (1000+) of classical lps which I never listen to. What would be the wisest way economically to find them new homes?  

Thanks

Matti

DFO

Select lots of 30, made detailled list and offer on Ebay on auction. Or,
take your time, made a complete list an offer on specializated publications, magazines or forums. Never try to sell to a second-hand seller. He'll offer 50 cents to a dollar each. >:D

Scarpia

Quote from: matti on June 05, 2009, 07:12:44 AM

Khachaturian: Spartacus; Gayaneh, Vienna Philharmonic/Khachaturian (Decca,1962)
Dvorak: 9th Symphony, BPO/Kubelik (DGG, 1973)
Beethoven: Symphonies 4 & 8, Minneapolis SO/ Dorati (Mercury)
Bartok: PC 1&2, Kocsis, Budapest Symphony Orch/Lehel (Hungaroton, 1972)
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Dance Suite, LSO/Solti (Decca, 1965)
Stravinsky: The Firebird, FNO/Maazel (Concert Hall, 60's)

All in mint condition, also the covers. I know they are worth more than I paid for them, and the question is, should I start looking for a new house, a new car or a new pair of socks? :D A layman's hunch is that the Khachaturian might be a rarity.

I have a pretty large collection (1000+) of classical lps which I never listen to. What would be the wisest way economically to find them new homes?  

Thanks

Matti

Took me 30 seconds to find out that there is a copy of your Khachaturian record on ebay.  Seller wants 8 bucks, no offers with three days to go.  My guess is this particular one won't be particularly high value because it was very popular at the time (lots were sold and are in circulation) and it has been issued on CD multiple times.

matti

Quote from: Scarpia on June 05, 2009, 08:00:45 AM
Took me 30 seconds to find out that there is a copy of your Khachaturian record on ebay.  Seller wants 8 bucks, no offers with three days to go.  My guess is this particular one won't be particularly high value because it was very popular at the time (lots were sold and are in circulation) and it has been issued on CD multiple times.

Thanks, I know I could have made some digging myself, but I'm an innocent virgin in Internet trading, ebay is Greek to me.  :-[

Thanks, DFO. I'm not selling them to a second-hand dealer, I'm not that desperate getting rid of them.

Daverz

Depends on what the records are and their condition.  If it's just a bunch of domestic pressings with no shaded dogs or original Mercuries in mint condition, then it's not worth much.  I've seen lots that size selling for $100 on craigslist.  I wouldn't lowball it that much, though.  I'd maybe start at $500.

Or you could always give the records away to a friend who might appreciate them.

DFO

Go to the Ebay site, mark music-records-classical music, and you'll have a good idea of prices and labels. For example, you can get a Kogan-Brahms v.c., english first edition, for the ridiculous price of u$s 1700.- There are good tutorials on how to registred and sell.

Scarpia

Browsing ebay, particularly for items similar to the ones you want to sell, is the best way to get the lay of the land.  You might also want to bid on a few things and maybe purchase a few knickknacks to get an idea of how the ebay experience works.  A big feature of ebay is "feedback."  Anyone who interacts with you gets to rate you and the ratings are public.  This gives an incentive to keep customers happy.  You biggest obstacle will be selling things with no prior feedback.  It is common for buyers to be wary of sellers with no feedback or bad feedback.

matti

Thanks guys, I just might try exploring the ebay world.

Bogey

Quote from: matti on June 05, 2009, 10:06:12 AM
Thanks guys, I just might try exploring the ebay world.

My father sells antique glass on Ebay frequently Matti.  A lot of things to consider, one being calculating the shipping for each lot and then packing it in such a way that it arrives in the same shape that you sent it.  Also, I would peruse sellers in the classical vinyl arena and see what language they use on their auction sites (http://music.shop.ebay.com/items/Records_?Genre=Classical&_catref=1&_dmpt=Music_on_Vinyl&_fln=1&_sacat=306&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282)

For example, this seller does a nice job.  Great pics and everything for pricing seems to be clear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVORAK-LUDWIG-HOELSCHER-VIOLONCELLO-KEILBERTH-594_W0QQitemZ360160279466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item53db39bbaa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1307|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I say this because of late I have been purchasing used classical vinyl.  However, I tend not to haunt Ebay for it too much because unless you can actually see ( and in some cases listen to it) it is difficult to tell the condition.  Also, the bargains are in the used shop, so for about $1-$3 an lp I can come home with an arm full.  Only when something truly sweet catches my eye or something fairly rare at a decent price comes along do I bite.  Good luck. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Daverz on June 05, 2009, 09:36:08 AM

Or you could always give the records away to a friend who might appreciate them.

Not a bad idea and only keep what you truly want and will play.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

matti

Quote from: Bogey on June 05, 2009, 10:59:53 AM
My father sells antique glass on Ebay frequently Matti.  A lot of things to consider, one being calculating the shipping for each lot and then packing it in such a way that it arrives in the same shape that you sent it.  Also, I would peruse sellers in the classical vinyl arena and see what language they use on their auction sites (http://music.shop.ebay.com/items/Records_?Genre=Classical&_catref=1&_dmpt=Music_on_Vinyl&_fln=1&_sacat=306&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282)

For example, this seller does a nice job.  Great pics and everything for pricing seems to be clear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVORAK-LUDWIG-HOELSCHER-VIOLONCELLO-KEILBERTH-594_W0QQitemZ360160279466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item53db39bbaa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1307|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I say this because of late I have been purchasing used classical vinyl.  However, I tend not to haunt Ebay for it too much because unless you can actually see ( and in some cases listen to it) it is difficult to tell the condition.  Also, the bargains are in the used shop, so for about $1-$3 an lp I can come home with an arm full.  Only when something truly sweet catches my eye or something fairly rare at a decent price comes along do I bite.  Good luck. :)

Yes, perfectly understandable - you'd have to build a reputation as a trustworthy seller first. I'd certainly hesitate buying something so fragile as vinyl without being able to check the merchantise. And all the packing and sending... too much trouble. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses, all of you. Perhaps I'd better check the ebay for a decent turntable and start strolling down the memory lane.  :)

DFO

You mean that you don't bid for the bargain Kogan-Brahms I mentioned? :)

Joe Barron

Well, if you bought them for 50 cents each, the odds are quite good you won't be able to sell them for much more. LPs should either be kept or discarded. There's  no real demand for them.

matti

Quote from: DFO on June 05, 2009, 12:51:44 PM
You mean that you don't bid for the bargain Kogan-Brahms I mentioned? :)

Well... if I get back to vinyl mode again... I've certainly spent money worse over the years. ;D
But seriously, 1700 dollars, that's lunacy.

DFO

Unconfirmed and probably just a legend, but there it is: some years ago a jap bought three 10" Continental label vynyls with Enescu playing Bach's sonatas and partitas, for u$s 21.000.-

Joe Barron