Peteris Vasks (born 1946)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 24, 2019, 05:58:33 PM
I hope you can listen to that disc, it's utterly touching. Whas is the Esenvalds like?

Beautiful Cesar and in one section very moving. In style it is not unlike Vasks. Modern music at its best as far as I'm concerned. Haunting and atmospheric.

PS I should have added that 'Visions of Arctic Night' by Esenvalds is a concerto for clarinet, orchestra and electronics. Might appeal to Karl as well.
It is the middle movement that I find very touching. I'm sure that you will know what I mean if you get to hear the work, as I hope you do.

:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Great to see Vasks getting some love! His Violin Concerto "Distant Light" is a favorite of mine...

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 25, 2019, 07:25:37 AM
Great to see Vasks getting some love! His Violin Concerto "Distant Light" is a favorite of mine...

That is a fabulous CD in all respects and includes interesting booklet notes by our very own 'Christo'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2019, 12:52:41 AM
Beautiful Cesar and in one section very moving. In style it is not unlike Vasks. Modern music at its best as far as I'm concerned. Haunting and atmospheric.

PS I should have added that 'Visions of Arctic Night' by Esenvalds is a concerto for clarinet, orchestra and electronics. Might appeal to Karl as well.
It is the middle movement that I find very touching. I'm sure that you will know what I mean if you get to hear the work, as I hope you do.

Sounds tempting, I'll try to get it. Thanks!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 25, 2019, 12:58:58 PM
Sounds tempting, I'll try to get it. Thanks!
The whole CD is excellent Cesar.

71 dB

The Naxos Flute music disc was a bit disappointing after the first listening.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on July 27, 2019, 08:36:50 AM
The Naxos Flute music disc was a bit disappointing after the first listening.
Right. Thanks. Well, I won't be snapping that one up.

vandermolen

I really like the Piano Quartet. It should appeal to anyone who responds to Shostakovich's Piano Quintet IMO.
I find the final sections very moving:

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on February 24, 2020, 01:33:27 PM
I really like the Piano Quartet. It should appeal to anyone who responds to Shostakovich's Piano Quintet IMO.
I find the final sections very moving:

Thanks! What do you think about the Malcys stuff? Any good?

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on February 24, 2020, 01:54:19 PM
Thanks! What do you think about the Malcys stuff? Any good?

Heard the first movement and struggled with it a bit. Maybe I was impatient to get on to the Vasks. Think it worth returning to but not obviously as memorable as the Vasks. I'll try to listen to it properly tomorrow and report back.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on February 24, 2020, 01:56:39 PM
Heard the first movement and struggled with it a bit. Maybe I was impatient to get on to the Vasks. Think it worth returning to but not obviously as memorable as the Vasks. I'll try to listen to it properly tomorrow and report back.

Ok, thanks! No pressure.  0:)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on February 24, 2020, 04:06:30 PM
Ok, thanks! No pressure.  0:)
Actually I owe you a debt of gratitude for encouraging me to listen to this work again and right through. I enjoyed it very much this time round. The problem for me is that the opening movement 'Blackthorn Eyes' (1999) is a bit too 'plink-plonk' and discordant for me  (I realise that's not a very technical description). However, the second movement with its charming title 'Hyacinth of the Snowfields' (2012) has some lovely lyrical/minimalist sections and the last movement 'Milky Way' has some lovely, catchy, sections, reminding me of Aaron Copland at his most populist. So, thanks to you, I will now play the CD right through from beginning to end and not skip straight on to the Vasks work. I'm playing the CD again now. So, a strong recommendation from me.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on February 24, 2020, 10:58:21 PM
Actually I owe you a debt of gratitude for encouraging me to listen to this work again and right through. I enjoyed it very much this time round. The problem for me is that the opening movement 'Blackthorn Eyes' (1999) is a bit too 'plink-plonk' and discordant for me  (I realise that's not a very technical description). However, the second movement with its charming title 'Hyacinth of the Snowfields' (2012) has some lovely lyrical/minimalist sections and the last movement 'Milky Way' has some lovely, catchy, sections, reminding me of Aaron Copland at his most populist. So, thanks to you, I will now play the CD right through from beginning to end and not skip straight on to the Vasks work. I'm playing the CD again now. So, a strong recommendation from me.

You are welcome and I'm glad you enjoy the disc beyond Vasks. Thanks for the reporting! this one appears as an interesting disc for sure and it's now added to my wishlist.  $:)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on February 25, 2020, 03:45:52 AM
You are welcome and I'm glad you enjoy the disc beyond Vasks. Thanks for the reporting! this one appears as an interesting disc for sure and it's now added to my wishlist.  $:)
I'm sure that you would not regret obtaining a copy of it.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on February 25, 2020, 03:52:53 AM
I'm sure that you would not regret obtaining a copy of it.

I'm trying to limit my purchases for several reasons*, but I'll think about making this disc one of my March purchases. This disc would offer more Vasks who I don't have much** + Malcys who I don't know at all + contemporary music for piano quartet. It comes down to how things get prioritized. If there's not much else to buy, this disc certainly is high on my wishlist, if not on top!  ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on February 25, 2020, 07:29:21 AM
I'm trying to limit my purchases for several reasons*, but I'll think about making this disc one of my March purchases. This disc would offer more Vasks who I don't have much** + Malcys who I don't know at all + contemporary music for piano quartet. It comes down to how things get prioritized. If there's not much else to buy, this disc certainly is high on my wishlist, if not on top!  ;)

Yes, your 'Financial situation...' point makes good sense. I wish that I could adhere to it more conscientiously myself.

calyptorhynchus

Can someone point me towards a complete list of Vasks's works?

Thanks
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Symphonic Addict

Listening to this recent release. The Symphony for strings Voices is quite a dense and moving piece. It's good to have an alternative recording, and this one is simply stunning. The Viola Concerto is next. The cover art suits the music in a most appropriate way as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 08, 2020, 04:37:50 PM

Listening to this recent release. The Symphony for strings Voices is quite a dense and moving piece. It's good to have an alternative recording, and this one is simply stunning. The Viola Concerto is next. The cover art suits the music in a most appropriate way as well.
Yes, what a lovely cover image Cesar.