Peteris Vasks (born 1946)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 11:20:15 AM
The Oboe Concerto is superb, fox. I have enjoyed the new Ondine disc immensely.

Really glad to hear this 🙂. I've no doubt that the symphonies will find their place in time too!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 13, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
Really glad to hear this 🙂. I've no doubt that the symphonies will find their place in time too!

Indeed. I take it you've heard his SQs? They're also fantastic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 03:58:12 PM
Indeed. I take it you've heard his SQs? They're also fantastic.

Yeah, I'm sold. #2, #1, #4 and #3 in that order atm  although it's a movable feast. I find the disquiet of #1 really interesting against the others. I concur entirely 🙂. 
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 13, 2021, 04:29:53 PM
Yeah, I'm sold. #2, #1, #4 and #3 in that order atm  although it's a movable feast. I find the disquiet of #1 really interesting against the others. I concur entirely 🙂.

Excellent to read. I actually should revisit these SQs as it's been quite some time since I've heard them. If you could only take one Vasks work to the desert island, what would it be and why?

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
Yep, great disc!

Thanks. I'm trying to strategize: if I get the Wergo recording I'll probably end up with multiple recordings of the Third Symphony (I intend to get a recording of the Cello Concerto for which the Third is the coupling). This CD obviously has a bigger spread of works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on September 13, 2021, 06:15:27 PM
Thanks. I'm trying to strategize: if I get the Wergo recording I'll probably end up with multiple recordings of the Third Symphony (I intend to get a recording of the Cello Concerto for which the Third is the coupling). This CD obviously has a bigger spread of works.

Or just go my route and buy them all. ;) ;D

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on September 13, 2021, 05:36:38 PM
Anyone heard any of this CD?

I'm trying to strategize: if I get the Wergo recording I'll probably end up with multiple recordings of the Third Symphony (I intend to get a recording of the Cello Concerto for which the Third is the coupling). This CD obviously has a bigger spread of works.

That's the other one of my two Vasks CDs. Solid 2010's Naxos release. I have nothing negative to say about it, but obviously I am not a Vasks expert who can say what performance to get.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Really enjoying his Cello Concerto (almost over) via youtube with Geringas (Connifer Classics).  Made me think of Shostakovich in places--in a good way.  :)

Earlier this morning, I also revisited his Oboe Concerto (again via youtube)....a lovely way to start the morning.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 04:18:14 AM
Really enjoying his Cello Concerto (almost over) via youtube with Geringas (Connifer Classics).  Made me think of Shostakovich in places--in a good way.  :)

Earlier this morning, I also revisited his Oboe Concerto (again via youtube)....a lovely way to start the morning.

PD

Have you heard the 2nd Cello Concerto, PD? It's a must-listen!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2021, 06:23:38 AM
Have you heard the 2nd Cello Concerto, PD? It's a must-listen!
No, not yet.  Will get around to it eventually.  :)  Thank you for the suggestion though!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 07:23:48 AM
No, not yet.  Will get around to it eventually.  :)  Thank you for the suggestion though!

PD

8) I find it an immensely satisfying work, but I seem to be saying this about much of Vasks' music lately. ;)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 04:47:59 PM
Excellent to read. I actually should revisit these SQs as it's been quite some time since I've heard them. If you could only take one Vasks work to the desert island, what would it be and why?

What an excellent, but tough question. I'm torn. Some of the works that are deeply embedding for me are perhaps those most obvious:

Distant Light
Cello Concerto #2 'Klābūtne'
Symphony #2
Oboe Concerto
Gramata Cellam

Hard to choose.... all are stunningly reflective of Vasks' redemptive worldview. I've heard SQ #3 several times today, and it is rising in my mind.

Probably Distant Light still, because it is simply so hauntingly beautiful.

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 14, 2021, 08:58:59 AM
What an excellent, but tough question. I'm torn. Some of the works that are deeply embedding for me are perhaps those most obvious:

Distant Light
Symphony #2
Oboe Concerto
Gramata Cellam

Hard to choose.... all are stunningly reflective of Vasks' redemptive worldview. I've heard SQ #3 several times today, and it is rising in my mind.

Think that I'll try (if I can find it) "Distant Light" next.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 09:12:22 AM
Think that I'll try (if I can find it) "Distant Light" next.

PD

What a discovery this work is, PD. Hopefully you'll find it to be as vital as I have! This proves the axiom that music has power to calm the savage breast, to me, at least.

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 14, 2021, 09:16:24 AM
What a discovery this work is, PD. Hopefully you'll find it to be as vital as I have! This proves the axiom that music has power to calm the savage breast, to me, at least.
I see that there are at least a couple of different performances on youtube.  To which one do you suggest that I listen to Fox?  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peteris+vasks+distant+light

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 14, 2021, 08:58:59 AM

Distant Light
Symphony #2
Oboe Concerto
Gramata Cellam

All fine choices, indeed. 8) Yes, I'll probably agree with you about Distant Light. It seems like one of his signature works and it's certainly the most recorded work, but this of course doesn't mean it's his "best" work, but it does feel like a masterpiece to me.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
I see that there are at least a couple of different performances on youtube.  To which one do you suggest that I listen to Fox?  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peteris+vasks+distant+light

PD

I would go with the Rowland - his recorded version was the first I heard, and I was really impacted by it. I thought the Storgårds was excellent, although you probably can't go wrong,  PD 🙂

Tolstoy

JBS

I received these two CDs about a week ago.

Except for Distant Light (which gets an excellent performance here) and Voices, everything on them were first encounters. I have to admit the three Musicas didn't enthuse me.

Anyone else have these CDs?

On a different tangent, in looking for the Second Symphony, the only recording I can find is the Storgards on Ondine, which is priced like an OOP item on Amazon. Is there another recording? Is it, like Symphony 1 aka Voices, known under a different name?