Author Topic: Peteris Vasks (born 1946)  (Read 25732 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Re: Peteris Vasks (born 1946)
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
I would go with the Rowland - his recorded version was the first I heard, and I was really impacted by it. I thought the Storgårds was excellent, although you probably can't go wrong,  PD 🙂

Kremer and his Kremerata Baltica on Teldec (Warner now of course) is worth hearing, too. There are many excellent performances of Distant Light, though. I haven’t heard a bad one yet.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
I received these two CDs about a week ago.

Except for Distant Light (which gets an excellent performance here) and Voices, everything on them were first encounters. I have to admit the three Musicas didn't enthuse me.

Anyone else have these CDs?

On a different tangent, in looking for the Second Symphony, the only recording I can find is the Storgards on Ondine, which is priced like an OOP item on Amazon. Is there another recording? Is it, like Symphony 1 aka Voices, known under a different name?

I don’t know those BR Klassik recordings, Jeffrey, but this label has been hit/miss for me. I only know Musica Adventus, which isn’t featured on that second recording of course. I do own two recordings of Musica Dolorsa, but I haven’t heard either one of them: one on ECM and the other on BIS. As for the Musica Serena, this BR Klassik must be the world premiere recording as I can’t find any other recording of it. I’ve got Musica Appassionata in this recording:

But I haven’t heard it and I have no idea where the disc is at the moment, so I’m not worried about that one. :) Viatore and Symphony for Strings, “Voices” have received a few recordings and I like both of these works. Of course, I was talking about the 2nd Cello Concerto last night and it’s an exquisite piece.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:06 PM »
I received these two CDs about a week ago.

Except for Distant Light (which gets an excellent performance here) and Voices, everything on them were first encounters. I have to admit the three Musicas didn't enthuse me.

Anyone else have these CDs?

On a different tangent, in looking for the Second Symphony, the only recording I can find is the Storgards on Ondine, which is priced like an OOP item on Amazon. Is there another recording? Is it, like Symphony 1 aka Voices, known under a different name?
Jeffrey, there's another recording of Symphony No.2 here. This is a marvellous CD in all respects. For personal reasons I find the Esenvalds work 'Visions of Arctic Night' to be incredibly moving as well. I'm debating whether to get the new recording of Symphony No.3 (actually it's a bit on a one-sided debate  ::)). I already have the Ondine recording. Symphonies 2 and 3 are my favourite works by Vasks. I recently bought the Viola Concerto but haven't listened to it yet. My good friend Johan (Christo of this forum) who is sadly ill at the moment (I send him my very best wishes if he reads this), wrote the excellent notes for the Ondine recording of Symphony No. 2.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:44:14 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »
All fine choices, indeed. 8) Yes, I’ll probably agree with you about Distant Light. It seems like one of his signature works and it’s certainly the most recorded work, but this of course doesn’t mean it’s his “best” work, but it does feel like a masterpiece to me.

Probably the Viola Concerto is a close contender, too. This is a remarkably beautiful piece..

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2021, 03:06:31 AM »
Jeffrey, there's another recording of Symphony No.2 here. This is a marvellous CD in all respects. For personal reasons I find the Esenvalds work 'Visions of Arctic Night' to be incredibly moving as well. I'm debating whether to get the new recording of Symphony No.3 (actually it's a bit on a one-sided debate  ::)). I already have the Ondine recording. Symphonies 2 and 3 are my favourite works by Vasks. I recently bought the Viola Concerto but haven't listened to it yet. My good friend Johan (Christo of this forum) who is sadly ill at the moment (I send him my very best wishes if he reads this), wrote the excellent notes for the Ondine recording of Symphony No. 2.

Thanks. That's on the list for the next batch of purchases.

Foxandpeng is quite accurate about the Viola Concerto.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2021, 04:31:46 AM »
Thanks. That's on the list for the next batch of purchases.

Foxandpeng is quite accurate about the Viola Concerto.
You won't regret it Jeffrey - it's a fine CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2021, 05:24:25 AM »

I didn’t realize Johan had wrote the liner notes for that Ondine recording of Distant Light and Symphony No. 2. That is awesome! Yes, I hope he’s doing well.

Probably the Viola Concerto is a close contender, too. This is a remarkably beautiful piece..

Yes, that’s a fine work, too. Wonderful work.