Lilburn's Second- more garbage

Started by Sean, February 20, 2008, 08:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

This thread is hilarious, I can't believe some of what i'm reading. I see Paul hasn't changed in the last few years, bless his cotton socks.  ;D

I still like Lilburn's 2nd. Despite its flaws I think it has something to say, and I do find it evocative of the New Zealand landscape (well, what  I imagine from seeing pictures and such).

Also, whoever has said Rautavaara was the 2nd coming of Sibelius?   ??? 

paulb

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on February 21, 2008, 02:24:12 PM

Also, whoever has said Rautavaara was the 2nd coming of Sibelius?   ??? 

yeah you are right,
Rautavvaarrara ( I can never get all those r's and a's right ;D) is not fit to tie Sibelius' sandals.
Thats what John The Prophet said about his master Jesus The Christ. ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: paulb on February 21, 2008, 02:30:22 PM
yeah you are right,
Rautavvaarrara ( I can never get all those r's and a's right ;D) is not fit to tie Sibelius' sandals.

But Christ isnt the "2nd coming" of John the Baptist...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Benji

yeah you are right,

Sandals?... never mind.

Anyway, I just dont see why Rautavaara would be thought of as the second coming of Sibelius, except for the rather obvious and incidental fact that they both hail from Finland. Seems a rather lazy throw-away comment, but hey, this thread is for garbage.  >:D

paulb

Quote from: Jezetha on February 21, 2008, 02:40:26 PM
But Christ isnt the "2nd coming" of John the Baptist...

No but John PRECEDED Jesus The Christ as was foretold in the scriptures.
I hear no such greatness in Rautavvararra as to be compared to Sibelius. Not even close. Though i'm sure if I heard Rautavaarrar I;'d hear much that i could hear in better form in Sibelius. Which is my point.
Lutoslawski did the same in copying  Bartok, but forged in  some things he learned from Stravinsky as well.

Benji

I just....can't stop laughing. This is too much fun for me, time for bed.

karlhenning

Guido

Quote from: paulb on February 21, 2008, 03:03:55 PM
Lutoslawski did the same in copying  Bartok, but forged in  some things he learned from Stravinsky as well.

Paul you said you had heard one piece by Lutoslawski. One. And the piece was dedicated to Bartok's memory. Do hear his works! If yo like Schnittke, Carter and Petterson you may very well like him too.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Paul's musicological remarks sometimes make me think that Andy Kaufman still walks among us.

paulb

Quote from: Guido on February 21, 2008, 04:40:10 PM
Paul you said you had heard one piece by Lutoslawski. One. And the piece was dedicated to Bartok's memory. Do hear his works! If yo like Schnittke, Carter and Petterson you may very well like him too.

Thanks Guido
Will place on my wish list
I like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRDxA4W8HI&feature=related

and this section especially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVEK5oRJCI&feature=related

and i like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ua_nlxNt_I

and these may not be the 2 best of performances.
I really like this second clip.

Grazioso

Quote from: paulb on February 21, 2008, 03:03:55 PM
I hear no such greatness in Rautavvararra as to be compared to Sibelius. Not even close. Though i'm sure if I heard Rautavaarrar I;'d hear much that i could hear in better form in Sibelius. Which is my point.

WTF? You hear no such greatness in Rautavaara yet you haven't heard his work? What do he and Sibelius have to do with each other, anyway, besides being Finnish?

Yet you can get the t's and s's in "Pettersson" right  ;D
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Quote from: Grazioso on February 22, 2008, 04:30:34 AM
WTF? You hear no such greatness in Rautavaara yet you haven't heard his work?

Ah! You've now met Paul, I see.

Harry

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on February 20, 2008, 09:33:41 AM
I consider Lilburn as a fine composer, and so what, that there are large remnants of Sibelius, i like Sibelius too! :)

Me too. The influence of VW and Sibelius seem assimilated to me. I think that Lilburn, in those early symphonies has a unique, recognisable style.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

greg

Quote from: Grazioso on February 22, 2008, 04:30:34 AM
WTF? You hear no such greatness in Rautavaara yet you haven't heard his work?
I once had a patron at the library who I used to talk to while working (had the same name as me). He said he liked this one movie even though he hadn't seen it yet. I think he had some type of down syndrome or something.