Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Any other admirers of this great Czech composer? He lived long enough to see the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia and wrote a defiant response "De Profundis" (1941), in which despair turns to hope and defiance (something I love in music).

His masterpiece is the choral/orchestral "The Storm" (1908-1910) written for the town of Brno (ironically, considering that the work is about a storm at sea, Brno is apparently further from the sea than anywhere else in Europe!) . There are two fine Suppraphon recordings but it cries out for a modern version (Chandos?).

Do yourself a favour and look out for his "Christchild's Lullaby", the last of his Eight Nocturnes for Voice and Orchestra (Classico CD 191) which is one of the most consoling and beautiful works I know and which would be much better known if performed in concert or on radio. It is `with his South Bohemian Suite, a very atmospheric, late romantic work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

I remember having heard something interesting from him on radio years ago. I wonder what it was...  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

bhodges

I just discovered him a couple of years ago and don't have much, but I do like this recording of the Slovak Suite

--Bruce

val

I only have two works of Novak: At the Tatra Mountains, a tone poem conducted by Ancerl and the beautiful 2nd string Quartet (in two movements, A Fugue and a Fantasia): the quartet is a masterpiece and, at least to me, superior to those of Janacek. The version I have, played by the Janacek Quartet seems perfect.

vandermolen

Quote from: val on June 02, 2007, 03:50:45 AM
I only have two works of Novak: At the Tatra Mountains, a tone poem conducted by Ancerl and the beautiful 2nd string Quartet (in two movements, A Fugue and a Fantasia): the quartet is a masterpiece and, at least to me, superior to those of Janacek. The version I have, played by the Janacek Quartet seems perfect.

Thanks Val, I must search out the Quartet.

The Piano Quintet is a beautiful work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Novak-Piano-Quintet-V%C3%ADtezslav-Nov%C3%A1k/dp/B0000063CR/ref=sr_1_9/202
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: bhodges on June 01, 2007, 08:23:46 AM
I just discovered him a couple of years ago and don't have much, but I do like this recording of the Slovak Suite

--Bruce

This was my introduction to Novak as well, followed a year later by a couple of chamber recordings coupled with Suk. Very enjoyable works. I regret not getting more of his works before I left the States.

Grazioso

Lady Godiva is a beautiful work with an unforgettable main melody and a bit near the end that sounds startlingly like Mahler.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Kurkikohtaus

In the Czech Republic, honestly, Novak is not played very much.  The one piece that does come up with regularity is the Slovácká Suita... BTW, "Slovak Suite" is a mistranslation, it implies the country Slovakia, while the correct "Slovácká" refers to "Slovácko", which is a region in Moravia, in the east of the Czech Republic.

The other piece that big orchestras sometimes play is "O věčné touze" (Of Eternal Longing), which sounds somewhat like La Mer with its whole-tone-scales and sea hymns.

In conclusion, Novak is fine, but one must never assume that just because he is recorded, that he is played as well.

Also, the correct spelling of his first name is Vítěslav (Viteslav).

vandermolen

Quote from: Kurkikohtaus on June 03, 2007, 01:18:51 PM
In the Czech Republic, honestly, Novak is not played very much.  The one piece that does come up with regularity is the Slovácká Suita... BTW, "Slovak Suite" is a mistranslation, it implies the country Slovakia, while the correct "Slovácká" refers to "Slovácko", which is a region in Moravia, in the east of the Czech Republic.

The other piece that big orchestras sometimes play is "O věčné touze" (Of Eternal Longing), which sounds somewhat like La Mer with its whole-tone-scales and sea hymns.

In conclusion, Novak is fine, but one must never assume that just because he is recorded, that he is played as well.

Also, the correct spelling of his first name is Vítěslav (Viteslav).

Thank you for that. V interesting to hear.

Hector

Quote from: bhodges on June 01, 2007, 08:23:46 AM

--Bruce

This is the only recording I have, bought because he is never played or relayed and I wanted to explore his music.

I am still exploring.

The comments above make the Chandos recording tantalising, though.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

vandermolen

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2007, 04:52:46 AM
great cd and piano version too

Just acquired this CD.  I have and do appreciate many of Novakian orchestral works.  I've only listened to "Pan" once, so I couldn't offer a detailed comment.  What I can surmise on first listening is that the symphonic poem appears to be a hybrid of Czech and French characteristics.  Baxian and Debussyian elements are highly suggestive. Will give it further listening.

vandermolen

Quote from: schweitzeralan on May 29, 2009, 07:29:04 AM
Just acquired this CD.  I have and do appreciate many of Novakian orchestral works.  I've only listened to "Pan" once, so I couldn't offer a detailed comment.  What I can surmise on first listening is that the symphonic poem appears to be a hybrid of Czech and French characteristics.  Baxian and Debussyian elements are highly suggestive. Will give it further listening.

Bax and Debussy do come to mind in this work. I like the piano version (Chandos) too. Do you know 'The Storm' ? It is one of my favourite works of all time - an absolute masterpiece.

Daverz

My introduction to the composer was the Sejna recordings of his lovely suites.

http://www.amazon.com/Novak-Orchestral-Eternal-Longing-Moravian-Slovak/dp/B00008FTZZ

These are recorded in good stereo sound.

And then the exciting potboiler The Storm in a good mono recording on Supraphon.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2009, 08:51:02 AM
Bax and Debussy do come to mind in this work. I like the piano version (Chandos) too. Do you know 'The Storm' ? It is one of my favourite works of all time - an absolute masterpiece.

I do have it.  It is a masterpiece to be sure.  There are some "Sukian" moments.  Good composer; I should have owned this long ago.

DFO

I've his second and third SQ, the quintet, the Piano Trio "Quasi una Ballata" and a cello sonata. All magnificent works IMO. :D

snyprrr

I can't find Novak's SQ No.3 anywhere. Who, what, where, when, and how???

Novak, Suk, Dohnanyi, Fibich, Bella, Seiber,...I just can't keep 'em straight.

Is there a "Bohemian composers" thread...Dun?...hint hint...

snyprrr

I'm always scared of Czech composers known for their tone poems... scared of ZZZZzzzzz...seriously!

DFO

Quote from: snyprrr on May 29, 2009, 03:25:19 PM
I can't find Novak's SQ No.3 anywhere. Who, what, where, when, and how??

No.1 op.22, No.2 op.35 and No.3 op.66. I've the last 2, the third by
the old Vlach SQ. A marvelous version.Copied from an old Supraphon LP.