Ferde Grofé (1892-1972)

Started by Franco_Manitobain, May 01, 2023, 07:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

I don't think there is a thread dedicated to this composer, and it might get me kicked off of GMG for creating one.  ;D

When I first started exploring classical music, there was a radio station that used to play the Grand Canyon Suite frequently, and I absolutely HATED it at that time (circa 18 years ago).

Now, on a whim, at the thrift shop, I obtained two discs of six of his suites, and I got to say I am really enjoying them!

It is defintely more "out of fashion" nowadays to listen to some Grofé and he certainly does not have a great reputation amongst "serious classical music afficionados".

However, as stated, I quite enjoyed listening to these six suites.  If one can enjoy the bonbons from the Waltz Strauss family or from Offenbach, then I don't really see why Grofé can not be enjoyed in equalled measure?

So, what say ye?  Is Grofé anyone's "guilty pleasure"?  :-[

Roasted Swan

Grofé achieves what he sets out to do really well.  Its just that the age of the "light" illustrative suite is all but over but that doesn't mean they are not extremely well-crafted, fun to listen to.  They are not my favourites in this genre but they are still very good examples.

Franco_Manitobain

Out of the six suites I listened to, I particularly enjoyed the Hollywood Suite and the Hudson River Suite.

Also, I did not know until today that Grofé was the one who orchestrated George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

VonStupp

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 01, 2023, 08:45:34 AMOut of the six suites I listened to, I particularly enjoyed the Hollywood Suite and the Hudson River Suite.

Also, I did not know until today that Grofé was the one who orchestrated George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
Loved the Hollywood Suite too, and those two Naxos CD's are a fine set. Wonderful US light orchestral music.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Aviation Suite and Atlantic Crossing for more rare Grofe:
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: VonStupp on May 01, 2023, 03:17:24 PMLoved the Hollywood Suite too, and those two Naxos CD's are a fine set. Wonderful US light orchestral music.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Aviation Suite and Atlantic Crossing for more rare Grofe:
VS

Thanks VS, I'll have to check those two out!

VonStupp

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 01, 2023, 03:24:25 PMThanks VS, I'll have to check those two out!
I see Naxos reissued them together. Quite frankly, I don't really remember anything about them.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Maestro267

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 01, 2023, 08:36:18 AMGrofé achieves what he sets out to do really well.  Its just that the age of the "light" illustrative suite is all but over but that doesn't mean they are not extremely well-crafted, fun to listen to.  They are not my favourites in this genre but they are still very good examples.

So is the age of the Beethovenian symphony but that doesn't stop us listening to them.

The Niagara Falls Suite is magnificent! Glorious wonderful tunes, a beautiful slow movement and an epic finale with sirens leading to a glorious climax looking towards a Bright and Glorious Future! The Dream! AMERICA!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 03, 2023, 03:51:23 AMSo is the age of the Beethovenian symphony but that doesn't stop us listening to them.

The Niagara Falls Suite is magnificent! Glorious wonderful tunes, a beautiful slow movement and an epic finale with sirens leading to a glorious climax looking towards a Bright and Glorious Future! The Dream! AMERICA!

Beethoven is still played in concert.  When did you last hear a light music suite performed in full by a 'proper' symphony orchestra (excepting perhaps a Coates suite or indeed the Grand Canyon).  I wish they were - by saying they're not is simply acknowledging a sad fact.

Maestro267

I thought you meant in terms of what is being composed.