Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 11, 2017, 11:16:34 AM
It took me a while,but I'm really starting to like Pan,now. Lovely,nature painting on a truly epic scale. A bit of a Czech equivalent of Bax's Spring Fire in some ways. I like those East European horns,too. Some people have observed that it goes on a bit too long for it's own good;but I'm starting to think it's fine just the way it is!  :) :) :) :)

Yesterday I played Pan, what an amazing music! I perceived a notorious Impressionist influence, echoes of Ravel and especially of Debussy. It's an interesting blending of post-romanticism and French chromatic touches.

I also hope a decent recording of both symphonies  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 19, 2017, 01:20:25 PM
Yesterday I played Pan, what an amazing music! I perceived a notorious Impressionist influence, echoes of Ravel and especially of Debussy. It's an interesting blending of post-romanticism and French chromatic touches.

I also hope a decent recording of both symphonies  :)
Do you know the original piano version Caesar?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2017, 10:42:51 PM
Do you know the original piano version Caesar?

Yes, I have it. I'm not sure if would have been better to listen to the piano version first, though. Currently, I'm listening to the orchestral works, and today I'm gonna play Lady Godiva and Toman and the Wood Nymph from the excellent Chandos recording, which is a desert island disc. I'll play the piano version of Pan when I finish the orchestral, or perhaps I'll play both versions the same day to compare them.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 20, 2017, 11:04:47 AM
Yes, I have it. I'm not sure if would have been better to listen to the piano version first, though. Currently, I'm listening to the orchestral works, and today I'm gonna play Lady Godiva and Toman and the Wood Nymph from the excellent Chandos recording, which is a desert island disc. I'll play the piano version of Pan when I finish the orchestral, or perhaps I'll play both versions the same day to compare them.

I love both versions. I think that I knew the orchestral version first.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I have been trying to get a,reasonably priced,copy of Zdenĕk Košler's Supraphon recording of Novak's The Storm,for a few years,now,without success! Last night,I went on the internet,for something else. I had my usual look for sought for s/h cd'd (dvd's) and there it was! I bought it,of course! Courtesy of a certain,ubiquitous,purveyor of cd's,dvd's and books,I should have a copy soon! Not long ago,I acquired the Virgin cd of Novak orchestral works,from the same source. Also,a very hard to get s/h copy of Hollreiser's emi recording of Der Zigeunerbaron by Johann Strauss. And very recently,the emi cd of Fricker/Simpson/Orr symphonies! I just wonder what nuggets this seller will bring up next?!! Their customer service has always been very good,too,when required. At least,in my experience.

Roasted Swan

Novak's "The Storm" is a very fine work and the Kosler recording is excellent too - so happy listening!

vandermolen

Yes, it's an out-and-out masterpiece as far as I'm concerned - one of the greatest choral works if the 20th Century. That Supraphon recording (there's an older one as well) is terrific, although it would be great to have a more modern recording.

SymphonicAddict

Having so many new releases of music that probably would never have seen the light of day if it had not been possible by advocate labels like Naxos, cpo, Chandos, etc, will we have the proper recordings of the Novák's two symphonies? I keep hoping that it will be possible in the near future, perhaps next year. The recordings on YouTube of them sound somewhat tortuous to appreciate with no a decent sound.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 16, 2018, 06:20:17 PM
Having so many new releases of music that probably would never have seen the light of day if it had not been possible by advocate labels like Naxos, cpo, Chandos, etc, will we have the proper recordings of the Novák's two symphonies? I keep hoping that it will be possible in the near future, perhaps next year. The recordings on YouTube of them sound somewhat tortuous to appreciate with no a decent sound.
+1

cilgwyn

On,now. This arrived today. I finally managed to acquire a copy at a reasonable price! I have the old mono recording,and,just listening to this;you really do need to hear this in a good,stereo recording! This is the first time I have really enjoyed this colourful,dramatic music. I am really enjoying this;and I can quite see what vandermolen sees (hears) in it. A new recording would be welcome;but,in lieu of that,Supraphon really should have the sense to reissue this fine recording. Instantly approachable music. If you like choral music,Czech voices and sumptuous late,romantic music,with a dash of nationalism,you need to hear this! I'm impressed. And I like the artwork,too! :) :) :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 18, 2018, 03:38:30 AM
On,now. This arrived today. I finally managed to acquire a copy at a reasonable price! I have the old mono recording,and,just listening to this;you really do need to hear this in a good,stereo recording! This is the first time I have really enjoyed this colourful,dramatic music. I am really enjoying this;and I can quite see what vandermolen sees (hears) in it. A new recording would be welcome;but,in lieu of that,Supraphon really should have the sense to reissue this fine recording. Instantly approachable music. If you like choral music,Czech voices and sumptuous late,romantic music,with a dash of nationalism,you need to hear this! I'm impressed. And I like the artwork,too! :) :) :)

Yes, it's a fabulous release in all respects.

relm1

Agree with all of you about this work and this recording.  I've heard other recordings that are more modern than they lack the sense of joy, grandeur, lyricism, beauty, and adventure to this recording.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 18, 2018, 06:20:43 AM
Agree with all of you about this work and this recording.  I've heard other recordings that are more modern than they lack the sense of joy, grandeur, lyricism, beauty, and adventure to this recording.

'Other recordings that are more modern...'! I thought that the Kosler was the most recent. I'd be most interested to find a more recent recording. However, I suspect that I'd always come back to the Kosler.

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 20, 2017, 11:04:47 AM

I do not have a recording of the orchestral version - I need to find one. For piano, I have.

Brilliant that Novak is discussed in such depth on this forum. If I may throw in my two penny worth, I searched long and hard for a Supraphon recording of "In the Tatras" only to find the coupling, "About the Eternal Longing" is even finer!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 18, 2018, 07:07:39 AM
I do not have a recording of the orchestral version - I need to find one. For piano, I have.

Brilliant that Novak is discussed in such depth on this forum. If I may throw in my two penny worth, I searched long and hard for a Supraphon recording of "In the Tatras" only to find the coupling, "About the Eternal Longing" is even finer!

Please do throw in your views! I like 'In the Tatras' very much. Novak himself was a mountain climber.

My five favourite works:

The Storm
De Profundis
South Bohemian Suite
In the Tatras
Pan (Piano and orchestral versions)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 18, 2018, 03:38:30 AM

This work was a real eye-opener (or better, an ear-opener!) to me in the Novák's world sound.

vandermolen

I should have added 'Christ Child's Lullabye' from 'Eight Nocturnes' - one of the most beautiful songs that I know.

relm1

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 18, 2018, 11:01:41 AM
This work was a real eye-opener (or better, an ear-opener!) to me in the Novák's world sound.

There is a lot of great Novak.  This disc is excellent too:
https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Godiva-Profundis-Toman-Nymph/dp/B00004TD53

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: relm1 on October 18, 2018, 03:50:42 PM
There is a lot of great Novak.  This disc is excellent too:
https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Godiva-Profundis-Toman-Nymph/dp/B00004TD53

I have it, and it's one of the best ones I know. The 3 works in there are superbly well recorded and performed.

relm1

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 18, 2018, 04:14:22 PM
I have it, and it's one of the best ones I know. The 3 works in there are superbly well recorded and performed.

Totally agree.  Very colorful, original, and thrilling works brilliantly and vibrantly recorded.  Anyone who likes this composer must own this recording.