Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2007, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Looks like an interesting new release from one of my favourite composers:
[asin]B06W5B4NZ2[/asin]
The powerful 'In the Tatras' is a fine tone poem conveying a spiritual journey as much as a physical one (Novak was a keen mountain climber).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

It took me a while,but I'm really starting to like Pan,now. Lovely,nature painting on a truly epic scale. A bit of a Czech equivalent of Bax's Spring Fire in some ways. I like those East European horns,too. Some people have observed that it goes on a bit too long for it's own good;but I'm starting to think it's fine just the way it is!  :) :) :) :)

cilgwyn

cilgwyn

I've just been listening to Karel Šejna conducting Eternal Longing. I was thinking parts of it reminded me of Bax;then near the end it struck me that a closser comparison was D'indy,when he's evoking nature! I can't recall which specific work by D'indy,though. Interesting! Novak's his own man,though. Lovely music. It's taken a while for him to click with me. Can't think why?! ::) ;D
The next Novak cd will be the one with our very own vandermolen's notes. This Sejna cd is wonderful,though,and the 1966/68 recordings sound superb.

vandermolen

I like the historic CD below very much. cilgwyn do you know the 'South Bohemian Suite' which I prefer to the better known Slovak Suite? I hope that you like the Alto CD - the last of the Eight Nocturnes is absolutely beautiful and ideal late-night listening.
If the picture appears below the CD is available for under £2.00 on Amazon UK.
The doom-laden though ultimately redemptive De Profundis was written during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia - quite a brave thing to do in the circumstances.
[asin]B000025FI9[/asin]
PS you know there's a fine piano version of 'Pan' on Chandos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I have to say,this is a superb cd. You get that 'authentic' sound from those Czech orchestras you had at the time,and the sound is very good. I understand Karel Šejna is unrivalled in this kind of repertoire,and the sound quality is very good for it's time. At least I though so. Some of Šejna's recordings are in mono,and I would like to investigate him more when I have the money!! :( ;D
The artwork could be better. It's quite pretty,I suppose;but sweeping vistas of mountains or an appropriate landcape (particularly mountains) would surely sell more copies. Yes,I will certainly keep that cd in mind;but I haven't to keep off the old cd buying for a bit. I recently stocked up on some dvds and books,as well. Yes,I like 'historic' recordings. I've always fancied Karel Ančerl's Martinu recordings,for example;but I've had to resist.....and managed to so fa!! I'm listening to the alto cd of Novak now. I'm not a big fan of people warbling songs with orchestral accompaniment. German lieder.......NOOOOOOOOO!!! ??? ::) But this is allot nicer than most. I 'm listening on cordless headphones,now!

71 dB

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 12, 2017, 01:43:29 AM
I have to say,this is a superb cd.

At Amazon.co.uk marketplace they ask £19.50 for it so it better be superb.  0:)

As a composer Novak is interesting (The Piano Trio I have on Naxos is very nice), but I have very little interest exploring these "OOP" -composers. There's simply so much great music to explore for a fraction of the price.

What is 'authentic' sound of Czech orchestras?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 12, 2017, 01:43:29 AM
I have to say,this is a superb cd. You get that 'authentic' sound from those Czech orchestras you had at the time,and the sound is very good. I understand Karel Šejna is unrivalled in this kind of repertoire,and the sound quality is very good for it's time. At least I though so. Some of Šejna's recordings are in mono,and I would like to investigate him more when I have the money!! :( ;D
The artwork could be better. It's quite pretty,I suppose;but sweeping vistas of mountains or an appropriate landcape (particularly mountains) would surely sell more copies. Yes,I will certainly keep that cd in mind;but I haven't to keep off the old cd buying for a bit. I recently stocked up on some dvds and books,as well. Yes,I like 'historic' recordings. I've always fancied Karel Ančerl's Martinu recordings,for example;but I've had to resist.....and managed to so fa!! I'm listening to the alto cd of Novak now. I'm not a big fan of people warbling songs with orchestral accompaniment. German lieder.......NOOOOOOOOO!!! ??? ::) But this is allot nicer than most. I 'm listening on cordless headphones,now!

Listen to 'Christchild's Lullaby' if nothing else.

cilgwyn

Quote from: 71 dB on May 12, 2017, 02:03:42 AM
At Amazon.co.uk marketplace they ask £19.50 for it so it better be superb.  0:)

As a composer Novak is interesting (The Piano Trio I have on Naxos is very nice), but I have very little interest exploring these "OOP" -composers. There's simply so much great music to explore for a fraction of the price.

What is 'authentic' sound of Czech orchestras?
;D Keep looking. I shouldn't advertise;but I got my copy very cheaply from Music Magpie. Have you looked at their website? They're always getting new stock. Mine certainly didn't cost that much! As to the 'aunthentic sound'. I'm referring to those old Czech recordings from the early to mid sixties,and earlier than that. I'm not a musician,but I know it when I hear it. Karel Ančerl's recording of Dvorak's Ninth,for example. The sound of the woodwind in particular. The horns.It just has a very distinctive sound,which seems to seems to disappear from later recordings,good as they undoubtedly are. Soviet orchestra's had that raspy brass. French orchestras again had a distinctive sound. All I can say is I know it when I hear it!! I think the Karel Šejna has the edge,to my ears in the Novak. Unlike Bostock he was obviously steeped in this music,being Czech. The Bostock is very good,though.I'm going to have to listen to Šejna's Dvorak when I can.

cilgwyn

The alto cd IS very good,though,and cheaper! Also,vandermolen wrote the booklet notes! Let's face it,when did anyone ask me to write any booklet notes? Or even the back of a cornflakes packet? I can dream,though! ::) :( Buy the alto,then the Supraphon,if you like what you've heard. As to Music Magpie? Other purveyors of cds are available,as they say! ;D

cilgwyn

Regarding an 'authentic' Czech sound and the distinctive sound orchestras from various countries had many years ago,as opposed to the more homogenised sound you get these days. Here is a good example,imho. The recording here of Dvorak's Ninth has a very distinctive sound indeed. The woodwind has a bucolic,chirrupy sound to it which really grabs your attention throughout. It just sounds so Czech. It also happens to be simply one of the best recordings of Dvorak's Ninth. His recording of the Sixth is equally superb. I only wish he could have recorded the lot! It is available in a Gold (remastered) Edition,as well. I've heard both,and unless you have supersonic hearing,this one sounds fine! It also has more attractive artwork,imo!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 13, 2017, 02:10:30 AM
The alto cd IS very good,though,and cheaper! Also,vandermolen wrote the booklet notes! Let's face it,when did anyone ask me to write any booklet notes? Or even the back of a cornflakes packet? I can dream,though! ::) :( Buy the alto,then the Supraphon,if you like what you've heard. As to Music Magpie? Other purveyors of cds are available,as they say! ;D
And I suggested the release to them.  0:)

Daverz

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 13, 2017, 02:27:42 AM
Regarding an 'authentic' Czech sound and the distinctive sound orchestras from various countries had many years ago,as opposed to the more homogenised sound you get these days. Here is a good example,imho. The recording here of Dvorak's Ninth has a very distinctive sound indeed. The woodwind has a bucolic,chirrupy sound to it which really grabs your attention throughout. It just sounds so Czech. It also happens to be simply one of the best recordings of Dvorak's Ninth. His recording of the Sixth is equally superb. I only wish he could have recorded the lot! It is available in a Gold (remastered) Edition,as well. I've heard both,and unless you have supersonic hearing,this one sounds fine! It also has more attractive artwork,imo!

There's also a live 8th with the Concertgebouw that is worth tracking down.  I have it on this set:
[asin]B00005UUOX[/asin]

cilgwyn

Indeed,but the Supraphon is the one with that Czech sound 71dB was asking me about! I must admit I'm not a fan of live recordings,with a few exceptions. Audience noise and concert hall ambience is okay at a concert,but not something I want to endure repeatedly at home!! ??? ::)  Also,the sound on the Orfeo is poor. Stick to the studio recording,I say. That's what studios are for!! And you get that Czech sound!! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 13, 2017, 04:02:24 AM
Indeed,but the Supraphon is the one with that Czech sound 71dB was asking me about! I must admit I'm not a fan of live recordings,with a few exceptions. Audience noise and concert hall ambience is okay at a concert,but not something I want to endure repeatedly at home!! ??? ::)  Also,the sound on the Orfeo is poor. Stick to the studio recording,I say. That's what studios are for!! And you get that Czech sound!! ;D
I recall that Ancerl's performance of 'In the Tatras' was excellent in the EMI set.

cilgwyn

I'd like to hear his Martinu. Everytime I click on the buy button,I've said,NO! There are the Supraphon cds and another cd set of radio recordings. Usually quite cheap,but I can't buy everything I want! I have to pay boring old bills!!Another reason why the Atterberg symphonies are,and probably will remain,as Donald Rumsfeld might say,unknown unknowns!! ::) :( ;D I have enjoyed the 1928 recording of the,so called,Dollar Symphony however,conducted by Kurt Atterberg,no less!

And back to Novak. I will listen to Christ Childs Lullaby again,later!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 13, 2017, 04:38:40 AM
I'd like to hear his Martinu. Everytime I click on the buy button,I've said,NO! There are the Supraphon cds and another cd set of radio recordings. Usually quite cheap,but I can't buy everything I want! I have to pay boring old bills!!Another reason why the Atterberg symphonies are,and probably will remain,as Donald Rumsfeld might say,unknown unknowns!! ::) :( ;D I have enjoyed the 1928 recording of the,so called,Dollar Symphony however,conducted by Kurt Atterberg,no less!

And back to Novak. I will listen to Christ Childs Lullaby again,later!

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it.  :)

snyprrr

Really, people. >:(

Such a great Piano Quintet,... and, did my buddy send me that SQ3 a while back?,... let's see...

kyjo

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2017, 07:28:17 AM
Such a great Piano Quintet

+1 I found the theme-and-variations slow movement to be particularly moving.

Also, here's hoping for commercial recordings of the Autumn and May symphonies in the near future!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 19, 2017, 11:56:54 AM
+1 I found the theme-and-variations slow movement to be particularly moving.

Also, here's hoping for commercial recordings of the Autumn and May symphonies in the near future!
+2