Nerves

Started by The Mad Hatter, June 01, 2007, 08:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Hatter

Just ruined -absolutely demolished- a performance of mine. And I knew the music. Barely even felt nervous before I began, but it just went downhill from the first note.

karlhenning

Shake it off, have a cup of strong, hot tea.

lukeottevanger

Comisserations :( I know what that is like; less so with performing, actually, than with recording, for some reason. I don't get nervous, obviously, as I know I can retake, but once things start to go wrong - or, more importantly, if I start to notice and think about the mistake - it often starts to get worse exponentially.

The Mad Hatter

Yeah. Oddly, looking back, all the really hard stuff went fine, but the easier stuff I messed up completely. Guess I had to give my whole concentration to the tougher stuff, and couldn't distract myself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement/commiseration.

Steve

I've only now seen this, my apologies.

For each moment of greatness, a great deal of mediocre ones must precede it. There will be others.  :)

Bogey

Not to worry....I am, and will always will be in awe of those of you here that write and or play music.  I am guessing on a whole that a very small percentage of the world population can do either, so you and the other musicians that haunt this forum have much to be proud of.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Most often when things go wrong for me I find it's usually a case of not being mentally prepared rather than any physically aspect.  Trying to be engaged in the moment and where you are going rather than what just happened takes practice as well.  I find a little mental visualization is just as important as the physical practice.  That way you've already completed the task to your liking hundreds of times already!!!

Allan

The Mad Hatter

Great thinking, Allan, thanks. Will try to do that in future.

Steve and Bogey, cheers.

I've decided to do much more public performance over the coming months and years as well - can't afford to let the stage fright take over - when it goes well, I enjoy playing too much.

Bogey: it's never too late to learn. My oldest piano student is in his sixties, and just started two years ago.

Bogey

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on June 02, 2007, 12:13:15 PM

Bogey: it's never too late to learn. My oldest piano student is in his sixties, and just started two years ago.

Unfortunately I have so many interests that humble, and I mean smack me down,on a daily basis....take chess and gardening for instance. :)  However, I will not totally rule out your encouragement.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Imagine walking a 20' length plank that is a foot wide and on the ground.  No problem.  Now imagine walking on that same plank but it is a mile in the sky.  Same exact task but more pressure for your mind to deal with.  You shouldn't have any problem walking that same plank a mile high except for it's a mind game.  That's the same thing I try to accomplish in my performances.  If I can stay focused on the task and relaxed I know I'll give a good performnace cause I've put in the work needed for it. 

Things don't always happen the way I want them too but that's my ideal.

Allan