Started by robnewman, June 10, 2009, 04:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

QuoteFriedmann    15:32  7:22   8:21  11:51
Järvi             14:04  7:08  7:34   8:29
Svetlanov     14:03  7:27  7:34   7:56
Bakels          13:39  7:26  7:33   8:40

Scherchen, Czech PO:    12:52    6:35   7:42    8:37

Gave it a listen. The sound is rather thin and distant, 1951 vintage. There are some of the usual Scherchen characteristics - slightly chaotic orchestral playing, sudden changes of tempi, some occasional accelerations etc., but it´s not extreme, and given the irregularities and the sound it must be considered a possible, supplementary recording, not a first choice. But besides the Russian folksyness, the conducting style, some dense episodes & the "jumping" traits gave me clear associations to Czech music, including late Dvorak, that I hadn´t had before. Svetlanov remains my favourite here.

kishnevi

Anyone ever hear the Ashkenazy on Exton (with the Iceland Philharmonic)?

vandermolen

It was a pleasure to hear the First Symphony conducted by Neeme Jarvi and the SNO today with its enjoyable Glazunov companions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

The two symphonies are so lovely, I always enjoy them when I can. It's difficult to choose my favorite one, both of them have that Russian allure I can't resist!! Besides the symphonies, another work I like so much by Kalinnikov is 'Tsar Boris'. I'm not sure if it's an incidental music, but what I can say it's strong, it contains enough energy to be seduced. This is one of his most sweeping pieces. 'The Cedar and the Palm' and the two Intermezzi are nice, too (as I can remember). Overall, he was a good composer, sadly dead being very young.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 10, 2017, 02:44:02 PM
The two symphonies are so lovely, I always enjoy them when I can. It's difficult to choose my favorite one, both of them have that Russian allure I can't resist!! Besides the symphonies, another work I like so much by Kalinnikov is 'Tsar Boris'. I'm not sure if it's an incidental music, but what I can say it's strong, it contains enough energy to be seduced. This is one of his most sweeping pieces. 'The Cedar and the Palm' and the two Intermezzi are nice, too (as I can remember). Overall, he was a good composer, sadly dead being very young.
Right, I must look out for Symphony 2 next.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Turner

Worth mentioning that there is a Mravinsky Kalinnikov 2nd. I haven´t heard it yet, but it´s on you-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslHwFCu2sc

kyjo

I love both of Kalinnikov's symphonies. The "big tune" (secondary theme of the first movement) of the First has been haunting my memory ever since I first heard it. The Second may lack a deeply memorable "big tune", but it is still a beautiful and energetic work. The first movement isn't terribly inspired, but the rest of the piece is very much on the same exalted level as the First. I've only heard the Kuchar recordings with the National Orchestra of Ukraine on Naxos, which are perfectly satisfactory.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Knowing the good reputation due to his 2 extremely attractive symphonies, I don't get the idea why Tsar Boris is little known, it's rather unbelievable. The most ablaze pages of this composer. His gift for melody and drama are unabashed here as much as possible. If you're looking for Russian blockbusters (I remember this word by cilgwyn), don't hesitate about this ultra epic piece. Practiaclly as good as his symphonies.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on September 11, 2017, 03:57:25 PM
I love both of Kalinnikov's symphonies. The "big tune" (secondary theme of the first movement) of the First has been haunting my memory ever since I first heard it. The Second may lack a deeply memorable "big tune", but it is still a beautiful and energetic work. The first movement isn't terribly inspired, but the rest of the piece is very much on the same exalted level as the First. I've only heard the Kuchar recordings with the National Orchestra of Ukraine on Naxos, which are perfectly satisfactory.

Kyjo - Just saw your comment above about the 2nd subject of the 1st symphony - my experience was identical.  One of those tunes the looped in my head from that moment on.....

BUT please please hear any other version after Kuchar!  Its "ok" but Svetlanov is a different league and in fact the old Jarvi/SNO/Chandos recording also still sounds very fine.  If its good with Kuchar think how much better it is with these others....!

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 30, 2019, 11:29:26 PM
Kyjo - Just saw your comment above about the 2nd subject of the 1st symphony - my experience was identical.  One of those tunes the looped in my head from that moment on.....

BUT please please hear any other version after Kuchar!  Its "ok" but Svetlanov is a different league and in fact the old Jarvi/SNO/Chandos recording also still sounds very fine.  If its good with Kuchar think how much better it is with these others....!

Don't worry, I've gone on to explore other recordings! ;) I've been especially taken by the Malaysian(!) Philharmonic recordings under Kees Bakels on BIS.

And btw, I revise my earlier comment about not finding the first movement of the 2nd Symphony particularly inspired. I now find the whole work completely entrancing from start to finish and prefer it overall to the already great 1st Symphony.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brahmsian

What do Kalinnikovians recommend for a recording of the two symphonies?

Please keeping in mind that I tend to prefer tempos on the brisk side, rather than the slow side (the opposite of Sergeant Rock)  :D

I'm leaning towards Kuchar/Naxos, but potentially Jarvi/Chandos.

Que

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 11, 2021, 08:35:50 AM
What do Kalinnikovians recommend for a recording of the two symphonies?

Please keeping in mind that I tend to prefer tempos on the brisk side, rather than the slow side (the opposite of Sergeant Rock)  :D

I'm leaning towards Kuchar/Naxos, but potentially Jarvi/Chandos.

Svetlanov - authentic & swift.

MusicTurner

Svetlanov in the 1st would be the main one for me too. Svetlanov isn't necessarily the best in the Russian repertoire, of course, (cf. Borodin's 2nd for example), but his Kalinnikov's 1st is very good indeed

Brahmsian

Thanks, folks. I also hear Bakels for a modern recording is a pretty good one?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 11, 2021, 12:27:56 PM
Thanks, folks. I also hear Bakels for a modern recording is a pretty good one?

Bakels is good but Jarvi with the (old) SNO still sounds very good as well.  From the great phase of him recording for chandos.  FAR better than Kuchar.

Brahmsian

I've sampled both the Svetlanov and Jarvi 1st today on YouTube, both marvelous. And I had heard the Kuchar 1st a few times already, which is what sparked my interest initially.

You would think that beautiful catchy melody of the second movement of the 1st symphony would have made this work as popular as Vivaldi's Four Seasons...... It's that tuneful!!  :)

Symphonic Addict

Whenever I see this thread alive, the incidental music for Tsar Boris comes to my mind. I sometimes prefer it over the symphonies. Kalinnikov at his most dramatic.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on August 23, 2011, 06:32:09 PM
I think the best recording of the Symphony No. 1 is the Kondrashin.  Very good recording and transfer by Melodiya.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//MELCD1000957.htm

MDT is long gone, of course, and this disc is going for over $900 on Amazon.

EDIT: on Apple Music

https://music.apple.com/album/1536184302

There's also a dodgy looking issue on Qobuz and other streaming services:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/af41c138u2zwc

EDIT: This streaming transfer is probably from LP.  Rather bass shy, bright and closed-in sounding.  You'd be better off with the MP3s of the Kondrashin/Melodiya, which are still available:

https://www.amazon.com/Balakirev-Symphony-Major-Kalinnikov-Minor/dp/B08L9TLWV4

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 11, 2021, 02:59:18 PM
I've sampled both the Svetlanov and Jarvi 1st today on YouTube, both marvelous. And I had heard the Kuchar 1st a few times already, which is what sparked my interest initially.

You would think that beautiful catchy melody of the second movement of the 1st symphony would have made this work as popular as Vivaldi's Four Seasons...... It's that tuneful!!  :)

Yes you are absolutely right!  I can clearly remember the first time I ever heard that tune....  I've mentioned the shop before - Farringdon Records on Cheapside in London.  Downstairs was an Aladdin's cave of a Classical department presided over by Tony whose CM knowledge was encyclopedic.  They always had interesting/tantalising music playing and one time it was Kalinnikov 1 in the Kondrashin version

I reckon they sold out all their stock of that disc that day!  That would have been around 1980 I reckon......