V.S. Kalinnikov (1866-1901)

Started by robnewman, June 10, 2009, 04:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 11, 2021, 11:18:31 PM
Yes you are absolutely right!  I can clearly remember the first time I ever heard that tune....  I've mentioned the shop before - Farringdon Records on Cheapside in London.  Downstairs was an Aladdin's cave of a Classical department presided over by Tony whose CM knowledge was encyclopedic.  They always had interesting/tantalising music playing and one time it was Kalinnikov 1 in the Kondrashin version

I reckon they sold out all their stock of that disc that day!  That would have been around 1980 I reckon......

That is quite a vivid memory, Swan.  :) The piece obviously made an impact.

My first hearing was on our local radio station this past fall, while I was parked in the car waiting for a pickup food order.  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 11, 2021, 11:18:31 PM
Yes you are absolutely right!  I can clearly remember the first time I ever heard that tune....  I've mentioned the shop before - Farringdon Records on Cheapside in London.  Downstairs was an Aladdin's cave of a Classical department presided over by Tony whose CM knowledge was encyclopedic.  They always had interesting/tantalising music playing and one time it was Kalinnikov 1 in the Kondrashin version

I reckon they sold out all their stock of that disc that day!  That would have been around 1980 I reckon......
Farringdon Records in Cheapside (and the famous Tony) was a treasure trove of discoveries in my 20s and earlier.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I've performed this work in concert.  It's very fun and satisfying and audiences loved it.  The slow movement is very beautiful and a very satisfying finale resulted in a standing ovation.  I might have a recording of our concert somewhere.

kyjo

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 11, 2021, 12:27:56 PM
Thanks, folks. I also hear Bakels for a modern recording is a pretty good one?

Yes, it's excellent all-around!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brahmsian

Well, in the end I decided to go with Jarvi for the two symphonies.  Looking forward to receiving it!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 25, 2021, 05:18:25 AM
Well, in the end I decided to go with Jarvi for the two symphonies.  Looking forward to receiving it!  :)

Never did get it as it was out of order. Got the Bakels then.

Comparing Kuchar with Bakels, I much prefer Kuchar!

My focal point had always been the 1st Symphony, but the 2nd symphony has grown on me immensely!  I enjoy it equally to the 1st now. 🙂

Brahmsian

Morning listening.  The Adagio of the 1st Symphony is to me one of the great symphonic adagios!

vers la flamme

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2023, 04:28:24 AMMorning listening.  The Adagio of the 1st Symphony is to me one of the great symphonic adagios!

I have that too but somehow have never listened to it.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 14, 2023, 05:19:25 AMI have that too but somehow have never listened to it.

It may be time to change that, my friend.  ;)

foxandpeng

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2023, 04:28:24 AMMorning listening.  The Adagio of the 1st Symphony is to me one of the great symphonic adagios!

Agree completely. Kalinnikov is outstanding.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Maestro267

Wow, only 35 years? Tragically unfortunate.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 14, 2023, 07:09:53 AMWow, only 35 years? Tragically unfortunate.

34 to be accurate, died shortly before his 35th.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2023, 07:10:37 AM34 to be accurate, died shortly before his 35th.

And in abject poverty. A sad story.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Maestro267

Albion

Coincidentally, a second-hand copy of the Kuchar Naxos disc dropped through the letter box today. The second movement of No.1 is just magical with that haunting ostinato. The orchestra of Ukraine is truly splendid and the disc has now joined my collection of favourites. I can't remember what I was doing when I was 34, probably nothing of any significance whatsoever...
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 14, 2023, 05:19:25 AMI have that too but somehow have never listened to it.

What What What!!!  This is such a trememndous disc/glorious works.  Your mission this weekend (should you accept it)  Listen to this disc and report back!