Favorite Beethoven Op. 18 quartets?

Started by ChamberNut, June 11, 2009, 09:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are your favorite (chose up to three) Beethoven Op. 18 quartets?

#1 in F
3 (100%)
#2 in G
0 (0%)
#3 in D
0 (0%)
#4 in C minor
4 (133.3%)
#5 in A
2 (66.7%)
#6 in B flat
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

snyprrr

No.5: Menuetto

Haydn is NOT far away here! I am noticing that at least half of the mvmts. in these SQs are instantly memorable, and the other half seems, to me, to come of as just "expert" music (this Menuetto being an example). Most of the scherzo/minuetto mvmts. I can't really remember (No.2 made the biggest impression on me so far). I think the Suske here are maybe exaggerating the dynamics a little, but to good effect.

snyprrr

No.5: Andante cantabile

Not as good as Tchaikovsky... though I do like that jaunty cello.

snyprrr

No.5: Allegro

What?... I totally missed it...

snyprrr

I am now listening to Mozart's SQ K464 in A major, the SQ LvB studied whilst writing his set. There are many things here in common with LvB's Op.18 No.5 in A major, to the point where I'm lost. How could this Mozart SQ NOT have been writing by LvB? ...or vice versa...

snyprrr

ChamberNut

Quote from: snyprrr on June 11, 2009, 01:08:31 PM
No.1: Andante affetuoso ed appassionato

My first thought is, Is this the first modern sounding slow mvmt? I don't recall Mozart or Haydn staying in the minor key this consistantly. This mvmt., as per the classical era, seems to even prefigure minimalism. You know, I'm listening here to LvB for the first time after becoming aquainted with Mozart and again with Haydn (plus some Boccherini), and I can tell that there's something different going on here, but I'm not sure... unless it's in the emotional content. This slow mvmt. is certainly getting some drama going; and it is a very memorable first listen.

Boy......you're in for a REAL treat when you get into the middle and late string quartets my friend.  8)

snyprrr

Oh no, but the Late Quartets and I have been friends from the beginning, and, he said baring his heart, the Amadeus were the vessel.

The Middle Quartets, which I had hitherto dismissed, have I recently become become aquainted with(via Vermeer library). My favorites there would be the F major and f minor. This is the most underestimated set in the cycle, perhaps. This was the period I was really intrigued by, but this recent "classical" craze 'roun' here sidetracked me to pre-1800.

So I have been working backwards the whole time! Xenakis is my Dittersdorf, haha ::), oy... but I was totally stoked for this Suske set, and, I believe, it is delivering on all grounds, and super cheepcheep too! Can I get a witness?

But yea, the Early Quartets, which, honestly I never thought I would ever get LvB Early Quartets, these things have me beside myself.

I'm listening to the last one now, No.3 in D major. ...wait a minute...

snyprrr

No.3 in D major

Are you kidding me??? :o :o :o

Someone tell me that is not the Star Trek theme!!!

IT IS!!! :o :o :o

Seriously, Can I get a witness??? :o :o :o

The STAR TREK String Quartet!

This is like the single biggest musical revelation of the year for me, ha! I hear all of Nordic Music in this first mvmt. Allegro. For me now this competes for even supreme spot in the set (ha, and I thought this poor little wretched key of D major was only going to offer up more Haydn). That is now certainly my all time favorite Beethoven, haha, Star Trek... whew! ;D

So...I guess...getting back to your poll, but sorry,...how can you say no to an SQ in c minor? You have to look long and hard to find an unattractive SQ in c minor! :) Is it really fair to the major keys? :P

Please check out the "Star Trek" SQ, Beethoven Op.18 No.3, mvmt.1 Allegro. Do you hear it? :o

snyprrr

So I have now listened to this set for the first time. They are certainly amoungst Haydn's finer efforts, no?

Oh please, I couldn't resist! ::)

Seriously, this "anonymous" set of 6 SQs from the classical era (blind taste test) reveals a verrry incisive composer. His profile is equal too, and, it appears, supercedes all his teachers ("I learned nothing"). He certainly gives not an inch in his overall conception. If I haaad to compare Mozart's "Haydn" Quartets, Haydn's Op.76, and LvB's Op.18...

...anyhoo ::)...

I have not absorbed this yet. :-X

::)STAR TREK ;D

snyprrr

Is there no one out there who hears the STAR TREK theme in LvB's Op.18 No.3 in D major?

...from the first two notes...

ChamberNut

Quote from: snyprrr on June 16, 2009, 07:53:30 AM
Is there no one out there who hears the STAR TREK theme in LvB's Op.18 No.3 in D major?

...from the first two notes...

I can kind of hear it.  I think it is just pure coincidence.