Naxos buys Ondine

Started by Brian, June 09, 2009, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on June 13, 2009, 11:22:41 AM
US from $7 to $10. Britain from 5 pounds to 6.

That happened over several years. I remember at Tower Records (which had a special deal with Naxos distribution as I think the two companies were intertwined somehow) Naxos discs were $6.99 in the late 90s. Then they went up to 7.99, and then 8.99 some time before or early 2006. By the time the went up to 9.99 (also a matter of increased reputation, no doubt), Tower was out of business, anyway. And had they not even been $5.99? I seem to remember, but might remember wrongly. If so, that would have had to be as late as 1998 because I don't think I was exposed to Naxos discs before that.

71 dB

Quote from: Brian on June 13, 2009, 11:22:41 AM
US from $7 to $10. Britain from 5 pounds to 6.

Because US dollar and British Sterling have got so weak currencies!

$7 would be only 5 euros today.
£5 would be only 6 euros today.

Should record companies do bad business just because currencies are weak?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Grazioso

Quote from: jlaurson on June 13, 2009, 10:34:26 PM
And had they not even been $5.99?   

Yes, in the early/mid 90's, I was buying Naxos discs for around $5 each at local record stores, both chain and indie. I don't buy nearly as many as I used to since they've almost doubled in price.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Valentino

Quote from: Coopmv on June 13, 2009, 07:49:09 PM
My download experience is practically nil.  I downloaded eight freebies (concerts) from RCO a while back and really have not even listened to all of them.  I am too old to go for the download or eMusic ...   LOL
Duh! My dad's 69 and he just bought a Squeezebox and downloaded BPO/Maazel in LvB5 from the DG web shop.

---

I guess Naxos engineering costs have risen since they aquired most of the tech staff from Decca. Good sound costs money too.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: 71 dB on June 14, 2009, 01:22:02 AM
Because US dollar and British Sterling have got so weak currencies!

$7 would be only 5 euros today.
£5 would be only 6 euros today.

Should record companies do bad business just because currencies are weak?

The EURO is way overvalued (see the MELTDOWN thread) relative to the Dollar and perhaps the Pound.  It appears EU minus the UK is getting even deeper into recession since the export market for Germany, the largest economy on the continent, appears to have collapsed.

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on June 14, 2009, 03:46:31 AM
Duh! My dad's 69 and he just bought a Squeezebox and downloaded BPO/Maazel in LvB5 from the DG web shop.

---

I guess Naxos engineering costs have risen since they aquired most of the tech staff from Decca. Good sound costs money too.

Good point, I am a bit younger than your dad but I have no spare time to tinker with new technologies since I have a 70-hour workweek.  Life in the US is a bit more hectic than life in Norway.  I really enjoyed the leisurely paced Norwegian lifestyle when I visited Norway in 93.

71 dB

Quote from: Coopmv on June 14, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
The EURO is way overvalued.

Perhaps but at least naxos euro prices stay low.  0:)

Brian

Quote from: Valentino on June 14, 2009, 03:46:31 AM
Ah! I didn't know that. No wonder their orchestral recordings stopped sounding like the microphones were placed under a bathtub in the last row of the balcony.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on June 14, 2009, 09:19:11 AM
Ah! I didn't know that. No wonder their orchestral recordings stopped sounding like the microphones were placed under a bathtub in the last row of the balcony.

I bought a bunch of Naxos CD's on Bach Organ Works by Wolfgang Rubsam, a few Bach CD's by Bob van Asperen and a number of Telemann CD's a number of years ago and really have not bought any Naxos CD's until this spring when I bought a few dozens of Naxos Historical at the suggestion of George, our piano works guru.  Naxos rarely has the big-name artists to be sufficiently attractive to me.  It is a bit like a Telarc at a budget price but with more international exposure.  I also rarely buy Telarc due to its not-so-attractive roster of artists.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on June 14, 2009, 10:29:56 AM
I bought a bunch of Naxos CD's on Bach Organ Works by Wolfgang Rubsam, a few Bach CD's by Bob van Asperen and a number of Telemann CD's a number of years ago and really have not bought any Naxos CD's until this spring when I bought a few dozens of Naxos Historical at the suggestion of George, our piano works guru.  Naxos rarely has the big-name artists to be sufficiently attractive to me.  It is a bit like a Telarc at a budget price but with more international exposure.  I also rarely buy Telarc due to its not-so-attractive roster of artists.

Well, I'll just say that big-name artists mean nothing to me.  My experience has been that they are not consistently better than their lesser-known compatriots.

Grazioso

While I'm disappointed in the way Naxos prices have risen, I've never had any major qualms about the quality of their releases. In fact, many of their recordings are first rate, in terms of both performance and sound (read the critics and posters here for further confirmation). Plus, their repertoire is far broader than what you'd get from the old major labels that boasted the "big name" artists of yore.

Only going after CD's by big-name artists is like listening only to big-name composers: you'll miss a lot of wonderful music.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Brian

Quote from: Bulldog on June 14, 2009, 10:38:53 AM
Well, I'll just say that big-name artists mean nothing to me.  My experience has been that they are not consistently better than their lesser-known compatriots.
Indeed, big names are simply good marketing, and the major labels have great marketing. Naxos doesn't put giant pictures of Antoni Wit, James Judd, Maria Kliegel, Elizabeth Farr, Bjarte Engeset, Norbert Kraft, Wolf Harden, and the Maggini Quartet on its album covers, but they are all world-class artists. (Disclaimer: there actually are two covers with Kliegel on the front...)

Also, Naxos has indeed recorded (not licensed but recorded) several "big-name artists" before - Roberto Alagna, Ewa Podles, Cho-Liang Lin, Anthony Newman, Leonard Slatkin, Vassily Sinaisky, Cristina Ortiz, the violinist Josef Suk, and at least three principal chairs from the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

71 dB

What makes an artist attractive to you? Extensive marketing (exposure in the media) or skills? Naxos is a very good choice for less known works/composers (I suppose they are not-so-attractive to you too?).

Henritus

Quote from: Coopmv on June 13, 2009, 02:55:27 AM

Shares in record companies are generally poor investments anyway.  I have owned TimeWarner shares for over ten years and am still sitting on paper losses ...

Including EMI I guess  ;D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-Q-4P5c5I One of the funniest commercials I know.

Catison

Quote from: 71 dB on June 16, 2009, 05:51:47 AM
What makes an artist attractive to you? Extensive marketing (exposure in the media) or skills? Naxos is a very good choice for less known works/composers (I suppose they are not-so-attractive to you too?).

If an artist has no marketing, they can't be very good.  Every genius has a PR department.  This is especially true for Mozart, who even has chocolates made after his likeness.  This can only point to the quality of his genius.  Also, if you have big boobs, then your music is definitely worth hearing.
-Brett

Lethevich

Quote from: Catison on June 17, 2009, 06:50:33 AM
Also, if you have big boobs, then your music is definitely worth hearing.

Finally, Oliver Knussen will get the attention he deserves! 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.