Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM
Big mistake, Hummel is the most boring composer who ever lived, I'm afraid.
If there is a disc to convince you otherwise it is the one below. Not boring at all, and a real winner. If you don't like this one, then you are 'lost' regarding Hummel, and I would just strike him from your list.
[asin]B000000AFD[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 07, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
If there is a disc to convince you otherwise it is the one below. Not boring at all, and a real winner. If you don't like this one, then you are 'lost' regarding Hummel, and I would just strike him from your list.
[asin]B000000AFD[/asin]

I am with you all the way. Hummel boring? Bah, Humbug!
The double MDG recording is one of the best performances I know, and musically very rewarding, there is not a note too much, and the writing is most excellent.
The piano concertos bear witness to his genius. Very good performances too.

Lethevich

It's disturbing to think that somebody might mistake a 5 disc multi-composer reissue for a new recording - because original issues like that are so common, right ???
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 07, 2011, 10:22:37 PM
I am with you all the way. Hummel boring? Bah, Humbug!
The double MDG recording is one of the best performances I know, and musically very rewarding, there is not a note too much, and the writing is most excellent.
The piano concertos bear witness to his genius. Very good performances too.

I never noticed how much Stephen Hough resembles our former Sean.   :(

Lethevich

Sean would probably consider all those bowler hats as typical English repression.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on April 07, 2011, 10:28:06 PM
BTW I like the 3-instead-of-5-stars Amazon review of someone who was dissaponted just because he bought the set and then discovered he was already a happy owner of most of the recordings reissued here...Hilarious! ;D Why do people keep downgrading recordings for these weird reasons? 8)

Well, I must confess some years ago, I gave one star to the amazing DHM anniversary box set. I had pre-ordered it on Amazon, but the date of the pre-order arrived and I didn't receive any confirmation mail from them. After a week I asked what it had happened and they replied that didn't have stock and, therefore, I should wait one month to know if the product would be available again. I was really furious and I clearly explained my reasons.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 07, 2011, 11:39:55 PM
I never noticed how much Stephen Hough resembles our former Sean.   :(

Hmm, quite strikingly so, Scarpia!

The new erato

DE MACHAUT Sacred and Secular music. Ensemble Gilles Binchois / Dominique Vellard. Brilliant Classics 3cds & CD ROM

Sergeant Rock

Arrived late yesterday: Shostakovich Fourth, live recording of the German premiere, Kondrashin conducting the Staatskapelle Dresden.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: The new erato on April 08, 2011, 07:08:53 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of that disc in the US after hearing the Clarinet Chamber music disc from the same series.

Some releases to which I look forward very much!

Que

Quote from: The new erato on April 08, 2011, 07:06:15 AM

DE MACHAUT Sacred and Secular music. Ensemble Gilles Binchois / Dominique Vellard. Brilliant Classics 3cds & CD ROM

Oh my, I got these recordings a while ago on Cantus! :o Mandatory, I'd say.

The issues on Cantus were licensed from now defunct Harmonic Classics, I believe. Maybe we can expect more reissues on Brilliant from the Harmonic or Cantus catalogues? (Which would be great news)

Harry, you might be in the know on this? :)

Q

Scarpia

Was dissatisfied that I don't have a set of complete Schubert string quartets (after selling off the Melos set years ago, which I really disliked).  Anyway, found this set and ordered it.

[asin]B001V7UTTI[/asin]

The Verdi quartet is not so well known, but I have their recordings of the Brahms quartets and Clarinet quintet, which are superb.  Looking forward to it.

Quote from: Que on April 08, 2011, 08:37:58 AM
Oh my, I got these recordings a while ago on Cantus! :o Mandatory, I'd say.

The issues on Cantus were licensed from now defunct Harmonic Classics, I believe. Maybe we can expect more reissues on Brilliant from the Harmonic or Cantus catalogues? (Which would be great news)

Harry, you might be in the know on this? :)

Q

Yes Que, as I understood it, that is in the oven. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 08, 2011, 08:09:21 AM
Some releases to which I look forward very much!

Interesting releases indeed Harry. I wouldn't have thought Schnittke would be a composer you would enjoy seeing as you pretty much stay within a Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Late-Romantic frame of mind.

I bought that Schnittke a few months ago only to have it cancelled on me by a seller. I'll be buying it again tonight.

Mirror Image

Re-ordered this Schnittke set that was cancelled on me months ago by a seller, so I bought it again:

[asin]B002Y4Z53W[/asin]

Not sure how much I will like Schnittke's music, but he seems like an interesting composer.

otare

Que

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on April 08, 2011, 02:22:38 PM
Yes Que, as I understood it, that is in the oven. :)

Absolutely amazing!  :) Things are getting crazy with Brilliant! :o

And as a consequence with my wallet...but in a nice way.. ;D

Q

Mirror Image

Saygun has been a composer that has flown under my radar for quite some time, so I decided to buy the CPO series:

[asin]B000069KKZ[/asin]

[asin]B000269QW0[/asin]

[asin]B0009JVOJI[/asin]

[asin]B001E2V8OU[/asin]

[asin]B000YPW5IG[/asin]