Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

I'm holding off reporting purchases until the discs arrive, these came in today from Presto
ZELENKA  "Sepolcri" 3 cantatas for the Holy Sepulchre at the Jesuit College at the Klementinum in Prague.  A substantial amount of reconstruction was required, but there is a lot of "parody" so the originals coluld be used a refference.
The Holzey organ at Rot an der Rot.  My only other recording is in a set on mono Period lps recorded using a selection of Swabian organs.
and ERNST vol. 2 with Sherban Lupu, violin - exciting stuff if you've tried playing a violin.
Like everyone else, I have a large 'pending' stack, but may prepone listing to these. (and try to resist going downtown because the DVD of The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh in in stock)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

The new erato

Just played the Zelenka this morning; mighty fine.

Sergeant Rock

One item in today's mail, recommended by Mirror Image:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2012, 02:35:44 AM
One item in today's mail, recommended by Mirror Image:

Sarge

I knew you would, Sarge, I knew you would... :D

Geo Dude

I sold a few OOP box sets on Amazon and used the money to expand my collection.  Here are the results:

listener

and more...REGER    Piano Works    10 discs
      HAYDN Die Feuersbrunst - a marionette Singspiel
    and that wonderful British Symphonic Collection with unique recordings of COWEN, HOLST, BUSH, BUTTERWORTH inter alia much praised by Harry
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Que

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 06, 2012, 07:33:57 AM
I sold a few OOP box sets on Amazon and used the money to expand my collection.  Here are the results:

Oooohh! :o  Handpicked goodies! :) I'm sure a lot of dedicated research went into that - and I notice some favourites here on the forum.

Q

The new erato

Quote from: listener on January 06, 2012, 11:15:09 AM
and more...REGER    Piano Works    10 discs

Any tips on good prices on that Reger set?

Geo Dude

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 06, 2012, 11:58:31 AM
Oooohh! :o  Handpicked goodies! :) I'm sure a lot of dedicated research went into that - and I notice some favourites here on the forum.

Q

Indeed!  I spent more than a few hours digging through various threads in this forum (Haydn's Haus and Bach on the Harpsichord among others) while making selections and culling for the purchase.

listener

Quote from: The new erato on January 06, 2012, 01:05:24 PM
Any tips on good prices on that Reger set?
Does not include the 2-piano/4-hand works and transcriptions (Smetana's Moldau, for example) but 12 Thorofon CDs at 39.99. EUR, less 15%? exported at  http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Max-Reger-1873-1916-Das-gesamte-Klavierwerk/hnum/4945520
Seemed to be classed as 1 item for shipping, so it's worth looking at their sale items as well.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 06, 2012, 07:33:57 AM

You know, 71dB is going to comment that there is too much Bach being purchased. Thank you. It'll take the heat off us Haydnistas  ;D

Sarge

Geo Dude

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2012, 01:41:43 PM
You know, 71dB is going to comment that there is too much Bach being purchased. Thank you. It'll take the heat off us Haydnistas  ;D

Sarge

Good point!  I'm always willing to take a hit for Team Haydn.

Henk

Some BC releases:

Dargomïzhsky - The Stone Guest
Zarzuela Festival - Spanish Operetta
Bizet - Carmen Suites, L'Arlésienne Suiter (Orquestra Filarmonica de México)

Chopin | PC's / Lang Lang (DG)
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Wanderer

Quote from: PaulSC on December 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM

I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

Quote from: PaulSC on December 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM

I'm not familiar with her Bach, but, for what's it worth, Quirine Viersen has also recorded a superb Korngold concerto.

Sergeant Rock

Continuing my current obsession, these arrived this morning:

Don't worry, fellow Haydnistas: there's more Haydn in the pipeline. Should arrive early next week.

Sarge

DieNacht

Various LPs and CDs, total price 12 Euros:

Danzi: 3 Quintets for Piano & Winds / Schornsheim, Reicha5/nca cd. Very disappointing, HIP in the bad way, won´t keep it. The BIS issue of 3 Wind Quintets and 1 piano quintet is much better than this.

Taktakishvili: 1.Violin Cto + Eshpai: 2. Violin Cto /Isakadze, Konvalinka, CzRSO; Mirzoyan: String Quartet/Talich4; Prokofiev: 2.String Quartet/Prazak4 /panton 2LP. Didn´t have the Mirzoyan quartet but the others. The work (1947) turns out to be very Shostakovich-like, not bad. The Taktakishvili is an extremely attractive work & I don´t see why it isn´t played more often, in favour of, say, Spohr, Paganini or Schumann ... But the earlier Isakadze issue with the composer as conductor is better than this, which seems to suffer from less committed playing, in spite of her beautiful violin tone. Eshpai´s concerto is also attractive, more episodic than Taktakishvili´s elegiac chant.

Rachmaninov: 3rd Piano Concerto; Prokofiev: 3rd Piano Cto / Argerich, Chailly /artists live cd. Apparently it´s the original release of the Rach 3, officially approved by Martha Argerich as her definitive and only recording of the work and later re-issued by philips, whereas I haven´t seen the Prokofiev otherwise (the DG is with Abbado, the EMI with Dutoit).

Mozart: Lucio Silla /Cambreling etc., Bruxelles ensemble /pavane 3LP. Haven´t digged into this work before, called one of Mozart´s early mature masterpieces and psychologically and musically highly inventive. The issue got very good reviews and the staging is by Patrice Chereau, quite apparent from the illustrations, with a very sparse and modern design.

Bartok: 3rd Piano Concerto / Ditta Bartok-Pasztory, Tibor Serly conductor.; Serly: Concerto for 2 Pianos & Orchestra /mhs LP.
An interesting issue, since the Bartok concerto was written for D-B, and Serly completed its final bars. Will supplement my Farnadi/Scherchen, Kocsis/Fischer, Argerich/Dutoit, Bernathova/Ancerl, Katchen/Ansermet and Ranki/Ferencsik (I didn´t find the Sandor/Reinhardt and Anda/Fricsay concerto sets that interesting).

EDIT: It turns out that the Bartok 3rd Concerto performance is very disappointing here. Perhaps the pianist was past her prime, but the playing is boringly lifeless, tempi dragged out, and the orchestral sound receded, some instruments barely being audible. It´s the least attractive version I´ve heard, unfortunately.

Florestan

Quote from: DieNacht on January 07, 2012, 04:07:55 AM
The Taktakishvili is an extremely attractive work & I don´t see why it isn´t played more often, in favour of, say, Spohr, Paganini or Schumann ...

Indeed, Spohr's and Schumann's VCs are concert hall warhorses...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2012, 02:57:29 AM
Continuing my current obsession, these arrived this morning:

I'm sure you have your reasons, but why not get the whole box: It would probably be cheaper, no? (Or is this just to meet the hardest working woman of Bundespost on a daily basis? ;))
Regards,
Navneeth

DieNacht

QuoteIndeed, Spohr's and Schumann's VCs are concert hall warhorses... 

They occur on concert programmes even here and have been issued on several recordings, whereas Taktakishvili never does.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on January 07, 2012, 04:12:49 AM
I'm sure you have your reasons, but why not get the whole box: It would probably be cheaper, no? (Or is this just to meet the hardest working woman of Bundespost on a daily basis? ;))

I owned one CD already (Symphony#6) which would have been duplicated if I'd bought the box. But beyond that, when I added up the used prices of the individual CDs, it came out cheaper to buy the cycle that way. (For example, the CD with 4&5 was only 89 cents; the rest were under 5 Euro each).

Sarge