Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithW

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2012, 12:57:24 PM
Nice! Looks like this set comes out around my birthday (March 6th). I'll definitely be buying this with my birthday money. 8) Kudos for mentioning it, erato.

If you want an early present, Presto are shipping late January for $135, compared to Amazon's $200.

kishnevi

Landed today:

a five CD set of re-issues

also, at least in part, re-issues.
CDs 1 and 2 are selections from concerts in the 1990s conducted by Maazel and Mehta.  And they didn't skimp either: both CDs clock in at 79 minutes and change.
CD 3 is this, crammed into one CD of 81 minutes duration:

[ETA: found the track listings--they're not exactly the same: this version is shorter by about six minutes, since it leaves out two polkas by Josef Strauss, and the track times are not exactly the same.
The DVD is this

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on January 07, 2012, 02:51:00 PM

Puchased this afternoon. Harry will be satisfied.... 8)

Q
And it's part of an order now on the way to me from Presto, so Harry can be double-pleased.
And speaking of Presto
Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2012, 06:04:35 PM
Thanks, Keith. I've never used Presto and I hardly ever buy from overseas. Is Presto a safe website and have you used them?
I've ordered from them several times in the last few months, and (knock on wood) so far have no problems with them.  I've got two orders en route to me now from them (one of them seems to have gotten delayed in the Christmas rush, but I'm expecting it to land any day now).  The only criticisms I have of their system is that it's not possible to keep a wish list, and no way of keeping track of an order while they are processing it.  Also, you will get charged Visa transactions fees for overseas purchases if that's how your card operates, so that needs to be calculated into the purchase. Shipping charges are like Arkivmusic--order more than a few and it works out to about 1USD per item.   But their sales are often good deals (usually by brand, and lasting a month or more).

The new erato

Quote from: KeithW on January 07, 2012, 04:23:42 PM
If you want an early present, Presto are shipping late January for $135, compared to Amazon's $200.
Got it from £ 65 (VAT deducted), free PP, from amazon.co.uk.

Geo Dude

I decided to add to my Hantai Scarlatti collection before the discs disappear completely (or skyrocket to ridiculous prices). 

This makes #1 and #3 (from the mega-order):

[asin]B000065VX5[/asin]

The new erato

Feeding my habit for rare baroque vocal works:

[asin]B0055ES19S[/asin]

Teradella's Sesostri. I liked the previous release of Artaxerxe by the same forces, this one reputedly is better.

DieNacht

QuoteTeradella's Sesostri. I liked the previous release of Artaxerxe by the same forces, this one reputedly is better.

... this is one of the cases where I don´t have a single clue of what you´re talking about  :D
... But it sounds exotic and beautiful !

The new erato

Quote from: DieNacht on January 08, 2012, 11:43:00 AM
... this one of the cases where I don´t have a single clue of what you´re talking about  :D But it sounds exotic and beautiful !
Spanish baroque opera. Baroque opera is mostly nonsense (think soap opera for the aristocracy before TV made the nonsense available for the masses, though with gods and historical persons in the leading roles) but the melody and singing is soooooooooo glorious, I'm an unthinking sucker for the stuff.

madaboutmahler

My first order of the year in which I spent pretty much all of my Christmas money.... :D

[asin]B003LQSHBO[/asin]
[asin]B00000K2EP[/asin]
[asin]B00000J9HE[/asin]
[asin]B000001GQN[/asin]
[asin]B000E6EH04[/asin] (and also the score for Salome as well)

It took me a long time to settle on these cds...
I know what I want for my birthday now... the Tilson Thomas Mahler cycle, was listening to some of it earlier and it sounded absolutely brilliant! Perfect for my taste... the Sinopoli I have just brought sounds great for me as well, I was listening to some of it earlier on Spotify. :)

Looking forward to another year of spending! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 08, 2012, 12:43:13 PM
[asin]B00000J9HE[/asin]
[asin]B000001GQN[/asin]

Two excellent choices here, Daniel. It seems Honegger is a bit of stretch for you though. You very rarely get outside of the Mahler/Strauss/Elgar thing you've been doing. But it's an improvement. There are so many wonderful 20th Century composers that deserve your attention besides these three.

Lisztianwagner

My first order of the year in which I spent pretty much all of my Christmas money.... :D

[asin]B003LQSHBO[/asin]
[asin]B00000K2EP[/asin]
[asin]B00000J9HE[/asin]
[asin]B000001GQN[/asin]

I know what I want for my birthday now... the Tilson Thomas Mahler cycle, was listening to some of it earlier and it sounded absolutely brilliant! Perfect for my taste... the Sinopoli I have just brought sounds great for me as well, I was listening to some of it earlier on Spotify. :)

Looking forward to another year of spending! :D

Excellent choices, especially the Karajan recordings! ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mc ukrneal

I know others will spend time praising the others (and I see they already have). And while they are good, I think this Salome is the cream of the crop. It has long been a popular version, and for good reason. I hope you will love it! Of course, there are a plethora of excellent versions that would make wonderful comparative listening should you so desire (Sinopoli, Karajan, etc.), but Solti is very special here (and with some outstanding singing).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

stingo

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 08, 2012, 09:57:42 AM
I decided to add to my Hantai Scarlatti collection before the discs disappear completely (or skyrocket to ridiculous prices). 

This makes #1 and #3 (from the mega-order):

[asin]B000065VX5[/asin]

You chose wisely. I have all three and like them a lot. (Then again Hantai's a favorite of mine too.)

Mirror Image

Being a Bartok lover and fan of Bluebeard's Castle, I finally broke down and bought this (seeing as EMI aren't going to reissue it any time soon):

This was a very expensive recording, but I haven't seen it any cheaper in the numerous times I've looked at it. The Mp3 download of it is cheap, but I don't do downloads. I want the recording in my hands.

Edit:

Now it appears I have quite a few recordings of Bluebeard's Castle:

-Kurtesz, Decca
-Boulez, Sony
-Boulez, DG
-A. Fischer, Sony
-I. Fischer, Philips (reissued on Channel Classics)
-Gergiev, LSO Live
-Saraste, Warner Classics
-Eotvos, Hanssler Classics
-Haitink, EMI

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 08, 2012, 12:43:13 PMMy first order of the year in which I spent pretty much all of my Christmas money.... :D

I'm very surprised you didn't go for Boulez's Bartok DG set. I do hope you explore Bartok's music in-depth, Daniel. So many treasures await you.

Conor71

Recieved quite a few Disc's today - one of them was Julio Inglesias Libra Album, I definetely dont remember ordering that!  ;D  - will have to check now and see what was supossed to be sent!  >:D :

Looks like I will be able to join the Scarlatti party (sort of!) :)

Karl Henning

Give it a go, even if Nancarrow may not seem quite your thing . . . it's impressive to witness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Great choices. They all come with Sgt Rock's Seal of Approval  8)

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

springrite

Good to have friends with good taste, especially the Berio!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Lethevich

Nancarrow I found to be as friendly as the avant-garde gets - in fact, similar to Ligeti in that sense.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.