Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 09, 2012, 05:45:53 AM
Great choices. They all come with Sgt Rock's Seal of Approval  8)

I'm glad to hear that Sarge! :D

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 08, 2012, 12:56:23 PM
Excellent choices, especially the Karajan recordings! ;)

Thought you would be glad that I purchased quite a few Karajan recordings, Ilaria! Looking forward to listening to them!

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 08, 2012, 01:04:14 PM
I know others will spend time praising the others (and I see they already have). And while they are good, I think this Salome is the cream of the crop. It has long been a popular version, and for good reason. I hope you will love it! Of course, there are a plethora of excellent versions that would make wonderful comparative listening should you so desire (Sinopoli, Karajan, etc.), but Solti is very special here (and with some outstanding singing).

Thank you - this will be my first Salome - and also the first R.Strauss opera I shall listen to. Before, I have only heard the orchestral suites, or excerpts etc. Looking forward to it! :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2012, 12:55:48 PM
Two excellent choices here, Daniel. It seems Honegger is a bit of stretch for you though. You very rarely get outside of the Mahler/Strauss/Elgar thing you've been doing. But it's an improvement. There are so many wonderful 20th Century composers that deserve your attention besides these three.
Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2012, 04:36:59 PM
I'm very surprised you didn't go for Boulez's Bartok DG set. I do hope you explore Bartok's music in-depth, Daniel. So many treasures await you.

Yes, looking forward to both of them. :) I wouldn't say that I rarely get out of Mahler/Strauss/Elgar even though they are my three favourite composers. For example, I am listening to Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra right now, plus many of my favourite pieces of all time are written by 20th century composers, mutual favourites I believe, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe and various Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich symphonies for example. It is however true that this will be my first Honegger cd, I am very keen to explore his music after being amazed by a few excerpts I heard from the 3rd symphony.

Concerning the Bartok, I will get as soon as possible! There is just so much I want though.... Birthday is coming up soon, I'll add it to the list along with my next Mahler cycle, the Tilson Thomas. :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Just landed:

[asin]B0000502AH[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 09, 2012, 08:59:03 AM
Thank you - this will be my first Salome - and also the first R.Strauss opera I shall listen to. Before, I have only heard the orchestral suites, or excerpts etc. Looking forward to it! :)

Great opera, and that's the recording I own. Richard Strauss was my main introduction to classical music many years ago, primarily the tone poems. But I feel some of his best music was written for his operas and other various forms. If you haven't already, check out Duet-Concertino for Clarinet, Bassoon, Strings and Harp, AV 147 and also Concerto for Oboe in D major, AV 144 , two of my favorite Strauss pieces.

And I don't own much Mahler, but that MTT recording with the LSO of 7th is great. I don't know if he did a cycle with the LSO or only the SFO. Anyway, nice purchases.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 09, 2012, 09:36:15 AM

Great opera, and that's the recording I own. Richard Strauss was my main introduction to classical music many years ago, primarily the tone poems. But I feel some of his best music was written for his operas and other various forms. If you haven't already, check out Duet-Concertino for Clarinet, Bassoon, Strings and Harp, AV 147 and also Concerto for Oboe in D major, AV 144 , two of my favorite Strauss pieces.

And I don't own much Mahler, but that MTT recording with the LSO of 7th is great. I don't know if he did a cycle with the LSO or only the SFO. Anyway, nice purchases.

I certainly look forward to listening to it! :)
I do know the oboe concerto, one of my favourite Strauss works as well along with the Alpine Symphony, Death and Transfiguration and Ein Heldenleben. It's really only the tone poems and concerti I know (and love) at the moment, as well as Metamorphosen and the Four Last Songs. Listening to Salome shall be the beggining of my journey into his operas. I do not know the Duet-Concertino though so shall add that to the listening list!

Concerning MTT Mahler, he only made a complete cycle with the SFO. I think that recording of 7 is the only Mahler recording he made with the LSO. :)

Thanks Greg! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Geo Dude

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 08, 2012, 09:57:42 AM
I decided to add to my Hantai Scarlatti collection before the discs disappear completely (or skyrocket to ridiculous prices). 

This makes #1 and #3 (from the mega-order):

[asin]B000065VX5[/asin]

I decided to go ahead and buy volume 2 given that prestoclassical has a good price on it.

[asin]B0007OQBV6[/asin]  Hopefully it comes back in stock.  (Naturally, it was in stock for a few days while I contemplated the order...)

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 09, 2012, 08:59:03 AMYes, looking forward to both of them. :) I wouldn't say that I rarely get out of Mahler/Strauss/Elgar even though they are my three favourite composers. For example, I am listening to Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra right now, plus many of my favourite pieces of all time are written by 20th century composers, mutual favourites I believe, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe and various Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich symphonies for example. It is however true that this will be my first Honegger cd, I am very keen to explore his music after being amazed by a few excerpts I heard from the 3rd symphony.

Concerning the Bartok, I will get as soon as possible! There is just so much I want though.... Birthday is coming up soon, I'll add it to the list along with my next Mahler cycle, the Tilson Thomas. :D

Yes, you do get outside of these composers on occasion, but is Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra the only work you listen to by him? What Wozzeck, the Lulu Suite, Violin Concerto, Seven Early Songs, etc.? These are all fine works that you should definitely lend your ear to at some juncture. Ravel wrote a lot more than Daphnis et Chloe and Piano Concerto in G. What about his Piano Trio, Piano Concerto for the left-hand, or the song-cycle Sheherazade, etc.? Have you heard all of RVW's and Shostakovich's symphonies? Honegger suffers from lack of recordings. There isn't much to choose from concerning his orchestral music, which, in my opinion, is where he was strongest. You should hear Neeme Jarvi's recording of Honegger at some point. Very fine performances. David Zinman also recorded a Honegger recording that is very fine on Decca with the Zurich Tohalle Orchestra.

Re: Bartok

Both of Boulez's box sets are mandatory listening IMHO. But the DG box has more music so it's obviously a better deal all-around. Both sets contain Bluebeard's Castle which is, IMHO, one of the finest operas ever written and you know how I feel about opera. :) I think the earlier Boulez Bluebeard with the BBC Symphony has an edge over his later recording, which features the great Jessye Norman. The DG box also contains the rare choral/orchestral work Cantata Profana, which was one of the first Bartok works I heard. Amazing music. By the way, have you picked up the new Gramophone magazine, Daniel? It features a great article on Bartok's music plus a section in the back on Bluebeard's Castle. A great issue that even I couldn't resist.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 10:10:23 AM

Both of Boulez's box sets are mandatory listening IMHO[...]

I am close to complete agreement there ; )

Quote from: MI[..]. The DG box also contains the rare choral/orchestral work Cantata Profana, which was one of the first Bartok works I heard. Amazing music.

Do you know the Robt Shaw recording of the Cantata profana, MI?  What am I saying?! You're an Atlantan : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2012, 10:15:02 AM

Do you know the Robt Shaw recording of the Cantata profana, MI?  What am I saying?! You're an Atlantan : )

Ha! :D

Actually, Karl, I don't live in Atlanta but about 40 minutes NE of it. I know I've mentioned in the past that I live around the Atlanta area, but this was to give some one an idea of whereabout I live. No, actually I have not heard Robert Shaw's Cantata Profana performance. I'm sure it's quite good considering he was one of the best choral directors in the United States.

Karl Henning

And he made a practice of having his choir sing English language editions of the music . . . so his recording of the Cantata profana may remain ever unique in that regard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2012, 10:22:55 AM
And he made a practice of having his choir sing English language editions of the music . . . so his recording of the Cantata profana may remain ever unique in that regard.

Oh, in that case, I don't want to hear it. :) I'm kind of a stickler about a work being sung in it's original language. I guess I'm a traditionalist in that regard. 8)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 10:10:23 AM
Yes, you do get outside of these composers on occasion, but is Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra the only work you listen to by him? What Wozzeck, the Lulu Suite, Violin Concerto, Seven Early Songs, etc.? These are all fine works that you should definitely lend your ear to at some juncture. Ravel wrote a lot more than Daphnis et Chloe and Piano Concerto in G. What about his Piano Trio, Piano Concerto for the left-hand, or the song-cycle Sheherazade, etc.? Have you heard all of RVW's and Shostakovich's symphonies? Honegger suffers from lack of recordings. There isn't much to choose from concerning his orchestral music, which, in my opinion, is where he was strongest. You should hear Neeme Jarvi's recording of Honegger at some point. Very fine performances. David Zinman also recorded a Honegger recording that is very fine on Decca with the Zurich Tohalle Orchestra.

Both of Boulez's box sets are mandatory listening IMHO. But the DG box has more music so it's obviously a better deal all-around. Both sets contain Bluebeard's Castle which is, IMHO, one of the finest operas ever written and you know how I feel about opera. :) I think the earlier Boulez Bluebeard with the BBC Symphony has an edge over his later recording, which features the great Jessye Norman. The DG box also contains the rare choral/orchestral work Cantata Profana, which was one of the first Bartok works I heard. Amazing music. By the way, have you picked up the new Gramophone magazine, Daniel? It features a great article on Bartok's music plus a section in the back on Bluebeard's Castle. A great issue that even I couldn't resist.

Berg: Being one of my favourite 20th century composers, I do know and love most of his works. I do not know Wozzeck yet, as you know, I am yet to explore the opera world properly. I'll be starting with Wagner and Strauss, then may think of listening to Wozzeck. Berg's Violin Concerto is absolutely beautiful - certainly a favourite violin concerto of mine.  The Lulu Suite, Lyric Suite and Seven Early Songs are also works of his I love very much.
Ravel: Of course I know more of Ravel's output than just Daphnis et Chloe, however, that is my favourite work of his. My other favourite works of his include La Valse, Rhapsodie Espagnol, the piano concerti, Ma mère l'oye , L'enfant et les sortilèges and Miroirs. Ravel is easily one of my absolute favourite composers.
Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich symphonies - yes, I know all of them, I'm not a novice to 20th century music, and certainly not as much as I was around a year ago! I have you to thank really for introducing me to many 20th century greats, John. I haven't listened to some of them in a long while, but am revisiting them again now. The Vaughan Williams symphonies are making a massive impression on me in particular... I understand them more now than when I heard them for the first time a few years ago.

Yes, my dad picked up the Gramophone issue with the Bartok main article, even though he hates Bartok intently. ;) I'll read it soon.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 09, 2012, 12:55:05 PM
Berg: Being one of my favourite 20th century composers, I do know and love most of his works. I do not know Wozzeck yet, as you know, I am yet to explore the opera world properly. I'll be starting with Wagner and Strauss, then may think of listening to Wozzeck. Berg's Violin Concerto is absolutely beautiful - certainly a favourite violin concerto of mine.  The Lulu Suite, Lyric Suite and Seven Early Songs are also works of his I love very much.
Ravel: Of course I know more of Ravel's output than just Daphnis et Chloe, however, that is my favourite work of his. My other favourite works of his include La Valse, Rhapsodie Espagnol, the piano concerti, Ma mère l'oye , L'enfant et les sortilèges and Miroirs. Ravel is easily one of my absolute favourite composers.
Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich symphonies - yes, I know all of them, I'm not a novice to 20th century music, and certainly not as much as I was around a year ago! I have you to thank really for introducing me to many 20th century greats, John. I haven't listened to some of them in a long while, but am revisiting them again now. The Vaughan Williams symphonies are making a massive impression on me in particular... I understand them more now than when I heard them for the first time a few years ago.

Yes, my dad picked up the Gramophone issue with the Bartok main article, even though he hates Bartok intently. ;) I'll read it soon.

Well this is good to read, Daniel. I never doubted you to be a novice to 20th Century music at all. I'm glad I can share my love of this music with you. I'm glad you're getting into opera some and I hope you enjoy more than I have. As you know, I've never been too much into opera, but there are a few notable works that have made a strong case for the genre. I'm really getting heavily into Shostakovich. Even more than I have in the past. Right now, I'm juggling Shostakovich, RVW, Bartok, and Janacek. I'm also planning a revisit to Koechlin's The Jungle Book pretty soon even though I've heard this work probably more times than most people. :) It's just such masterpiece and I love every moment of it. Your Dad doesn't like Bartok? Hmmm...neither does my Grandfather. 8) Maybe they can form a "I Hate Bartok" club? :D Anyway, yes, I would definitely read that article when you have the chance.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 10:24:58 AM
Oh, in that case, I don't want to hear it. :) I'm kind of a stickler about a work being sung in it's original language. I guess I'm a traditionalist in that regard. 8)

A modern traditionalist, I suppose? Because the tradition/standard has been, until about the late 50s to early 70s to translate/perform works with text into the vernacular.
I find it depends on the language and the kind of work whether 'color' and 'line' outweigh ignorance of the text. Supertitles or Met Titles, fortunately, come close to giving us the best of both worlds and may make the point mute. Curiously listeners tend to be even more purist when it comes to recordings (whether they read along the text / translations / synopses or not)... ditto re: cuts in the score (cuts without which I wouldn't attend a certain number of operas are frequently frowned upon when included in recordings.) The Chandos English Opera series is nice antidote to all this... and some of the performances are so terrific, even originalistas might be convinced. The Cosi (Mackerras) and Meistersinger (Goodall) in particular. But I'm rambling...

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 09, 2012, 09:43:20 AM
Concerning MTT Mahler, he only made a complete cycle with the SFO. I think that recording of 7 is the only Mahler recording he made with the LSO. :)

Thanks Greg! :)

There's at least the Third, also...

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.3
MTT / LSO / Janet Baker
RCA

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on January 09, 2012, 03:27:28 PM
A modern traditionalist, I suppose? Because the tradition/standard has been, until about the late 50s to early 70s to translate/perform works with text into the vernacular.
I find it depends on the language and the kind of work whether 'color' and 'line' outweigh ignorance of the text. Supertitles or Met Titles, fortunately, come close to giving us the best of both worlds and may make the point mute. Curiously listeners tend to be even more purist when it comes to recordings (whether they read along the text / translations / synopses or not)... ditto re: cuts in the score (cuts without which I wouldn't attend a certain number of operas are frequently frowned upon when included in recordings.) The Chandos English Opera series is nice antidote to all this... and some of the performances are so terrific, even originalistas might be convinced. The Cosi (Mackerras) and Meistersinger (Goodall) in particular. But I'm rambling...

Yes, but I couldn't imagine Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle being sung in any other language except for Hungarian.

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on January 09, 2012, 10:15:02 AM

I went to college in the metro Atlanta area (Emory, same alma mater as Gingrich and Kenneth Cole inter alia, although not at the same time as them) during the late 70s and only heard Shaw conduct a choral work once in the whole four years (Berlioz Requiem, which as I recall was sung in Latin).  Part of this was of course the relative expense of ASO tickets in student budgeting--I was very much into opera in those days, more than now, and my priority was the local opera company and the Met's annual one week visit in the spring.    But from what I remember Shaw actually programmed choral works less than one might imagine--and of course he didn't conduct every concert series for the ASO.  The Requiem itself was more memorable for the brass and the three dimensional placement thereof by Shaw--above the balconies behind the audience--than anything the chorus did, for that matter.

Conor71

Had a couple of welcome arrivals today :) :

Antoine Marchand

[asin]B000V3SX96[/asin][asin]B002IVRB9W[/asin][asin]B002QEXBWC[/asin][asin]B00003E4CA[/asin][asin]B0000DETBG[/asin]

:)

Sergeant Rock

Continuing my obsession with the performances of Thomas Fey and the Heidelberger Sinfoniker, three discs arrived this morning: Beethoven and Haydn. Also Rameau orchestral suites recommended by TheGSMoeller (or, as I like to call  him, Monkey Greg  8) )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Geo Dude

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 01:17:25 AM
Continuing my obsession with the performances of Thomas Fey and the Heidelberger Sinfoniker, three discs arrived this morning: Beethoven and Haydn. Also Rameau orchestral suites recommended by TheGSMoeller (or, as I like to call  him, Monkey Greg  8) )

Oh, Mrs Rock! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA