Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: MrOsa on May 04, 2007, 03:31:28 PM
It seems that every time I'm short of cash and should really be holding back I have to come across something as enticing as this: Taneyev's works for piano, 168 pages, including a reduction of the PC (!), for 8,90 PLN (that's 2,37 EUR, 3,22 USD!). How could I pass it up? 0:)

And 1953 was quite the year in (then) the Soviet Union, eh, Maciek8)

Drasko

Quote from: MrOsa on May 04, 2007, 03:31:28 PM
It seems that every time I'm short of cash and should really be holding back I have to come across something as enticing as this: Taneyev's works for piano, 168 pages, including a reduction of the PC (!), for 8,90 PLN (that's 2,37 EUR, 3,22 USD!). How could I pass it up? 0:)

Now you need this  >:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taneyev-Concerto-Moscow-Russian-Philharmonic/dp/B000J3FBOS

Bogey

Quote from: Que on May 04, 2007, 08:38:51 AM
Very good, very good... ;D

Still my favourite after many years, Bill!
Applies also to the music btw.. :)

Q

Yup. Cherry-pickin' these down at a used shop here in town.  They have about 10-12 more discs worth.  Probably should do some "creative financing" and buy the whole lot, but this way I am actually listening to them with more vigor because of how few of these I have on the shelf.  (Note the weak, self-rationalization in this last point.)  How are things your way my frind?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on May 04, 2007, 04:47:02 PM
Arrived today, courtesy of Andy:

Sarge will be very pleased to hear that I very much enjoyed PS #1.  :)

Very pleased, George. I wonder if GG can maintain the mementum he's got going now!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Que

Quote from: Bogey on May 05, 2007, 07:06:38 AM
Yup. Cherry-pickin' these down at a used shop here in town.  They have about 10-12 more discs worth.  Probably should do some "creative financing" and buy the whole lot, but this way I am actually listening to them with more vigor because of how few of these I have on the shelf.  (Note the weak, self-rationalization in this last point.)  How are things your way my frind?

Digesting these riches one at a time seems an excellent idea, Bill!
These volumes of the earlier edition seem to pop up everywhere nowadays. And with the new reissue of the whole series on singles CD's, you don't have to worry about not getting things complete in the end! :)

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on May 05, 2007, 08:17:07 AM
Digesting these riches one at a time seems an excellent idea, Bill!
These volumes of the earlier edition seem to pop up everywhere nowadays. And with the new reissue of the whole series on singles CD's, you don't have to worry about not getting things complete in the end! :)

Q

Where are these reissues to be found Que?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Bogey on May 05, 2007, 08:24:51 AM
Where are these reissues to be found Que?

They look like this - haven't seen them on American sites yet, but that should only be a matter of time.

They are 9 euros a piece at Amazon.de, 6 euros at jpc (= roughly $8,15) per disc.

Q

Harry

This one

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 05, 2007, 08:11:37 AM
Very pleased, George. I wonder if GG can maintain the mementum he's got going now!

Sarge

At his tempo, there isn't much momentum!  $:)

Don

Got some stuff at the local Borders that I had passed over the last few times I went:

Debussy/Ravel/Janacek - Violin Sonatas/Zimmermann/Lonquich/EMI
Dvorak - Sym. Poems/Zinman/Neumann/Weller/Arte Nova
Furtwangler - Syms. 1 and 3/Arte Nova
Prokofiev/Miaskosvky - Cello Cons/Rostropovich/Sargent/EMI
Saint-Saens/Debussy/Franck - Violin Sonatas/Contzen/Rogatchev/Arte Nova
Shostakovich - Violin Son. and Viola Son./arr. for st. orch./Kremer/DG

In the mailbox I received from a friend in Italy copies of:

Chopin and Schumann Solo Piano - Pollini playing at the Auditorium Parco della Musica, Rome, 14 March 2007.

Que

Decided to have a go at Paul Komen's HIP Beethoven.

Q

Que

Special offers at jpc...  8)

Q

Valentino

352  ;D
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Daverz

Made a rather disappointing trip out to Lou's Records in Encinitas and only came away with 3 CDs and no Lps.

Exciting stuff.

Lilas Pastia

Piano concerto no 2, 5 Songs for soprano and orchestra, and an Humoresque for small orchestra.
Flanders has produced some very good composers (Gilson, Devreese, De Boeck). I have good hopes for this one.

George

Quote from: Daverz on May 06, 2007, 03:23:05 AM

The pinnacle of his Rachmaninov PC recordings IMO.  :)

Drasko

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on May 06, 2007, 05:53:59 AM

Horta was brilliant, have you had the chance to see Tassel in person?

Heather Harrison

Another recent purchase:

I decided that I needed a new set of Mozart's symphonies, and this one gets good reviews.  I haven't listened to all of the CDs yet, but the ones I have heard so far have been very good.  The earliest symphonies are interesting to hear, especially given that they were written when Mozart was a child (albeit with some assistance by his father).  They are lively and exuberant, characteristics which come across very well in these performances.  But they are also a bit awkward in places; Mozart certainly needed some time to hone his skills, and it is interesting to hear how he developed.  Other highlights (so far) are the "Little G minor" and the final three symphonies.

Historically informed performances have certainly breathed new life into the music of the Classic period; after hearing these performances (and others), I am increasingly convinced that the typical symphony orchestra of late 19th Century proportions is generally not the right sort of orchestra for this music.  (As a side note, it seems that at least some of the traditional orchestras have figured this out.  Lately, when the Utah Symphony performs Mozart, the size of the orchestra is significantly reduced, and they perform with great clarity and a lot of energy.  Even though they use modern instruments, the performances come off very well.)

I have a few more recent purchases that I still need to listen to; I will post them after I have had a chance.

Quote from: Valentino on May 06, 2007, 01:35:59 AM

352  ;D

I bought this one a few months ago; I saw it in the Virgin Megastore and thought, "this looks interesting", so a copy went home with me.  It immediately become one of my favorite CDs of string quartets - lovely performances of some gorgeous music.

Heather

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Drasko on May 06, 2007, 08:10:25 AM
Horta was brilliant, have you had the chance to see Tassel in person?

No, unfortunately. The Tassel Hotel and Horta's personal residence are located in Brussels. Alhtough I've been to Belgium 4 times, I've never set foot in Brussels :-[.

Here's what the Hotel Tassel looks like from the outside:

BTW. in French "hotel" designates a mansion, not a place where you rent rooms. He built it for a university professor, Monsieur Tassel.

This quite unassuming façade opens up to marvels of Art Nouveau design inside (the cover of that disc pictures the staircase in the lobby).

And this is his house (left, with his office on the right of the image):

Another staircase, from inside his house:

Viewed from above

These and a couple of his other works (Maison Autrique among them) have been classified "world patrimony' by the UNESCO

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley