Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhar26

Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

karlhenning

haydnguy

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2009, 08:54:12 AM
Corey's right, you know.

I hope so. UPS delivered it to the wrong house and somehow it's adding 3 more days to delivery. I don't know if it was lost or what? I don't live in New York City so it shouldn't take that long to get to me.   :-\

not edward

Somehow, this is my first Gurrelieder:

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

SonicMan46

Well, joined the Bloch thread today - only had a couple of CDs by this composer, and wanted to replace/expand my current collection, so ordered the ones below, most of which received excellent recommendations from the posters:

nut-job

Quote from: nut-job on April 12, 2009, 05:04:02 PM
Warner Messiaen Edition:

Wow, they already sent me a tracking number!  Berkshire record outlet has come a long way since the old days, when they would take a month before they got around to dispatching your order, let alone sending a confirmation.

George

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: donwyn on April 14, 2009, 03:15:14 PM

I bought this CD last week and really enjoyed it.  What other recordings by the Hagen Quartett are worth getting?

Coopmv

Quote from: jhar26 on April 14, 2009, 08:49:56 AM

Rachel Podgers put in a very lively performance and I have this CD as well.

imperfection

Cost me $65USD for this disc...but it is Sinopoli  ;)

Coopmv

Quote from: imperfection on April 14, 2009, 07:10:50 PM

Cost me $65USD for this disc...but it is Sinopoli  ;)

Is it worth $65?  Sinopoli with the NYPO?  If it was with the BPO or the RCO ...

imperfection

Quote from: Coopmv on April 14, 2009, 07:14:45 PM
Is it worth $65?  Sinopoli with the NYPO?  If it was with the BPO or the RCO ...

I'm a die hard Sinopoli collector, so I gotta do what I gotta do  :) Not to mention this is perhaps one of the rarest out-of-print discs in the entire DG catalogue, hence the jaw-dropping price.

nut-job

Quote from: imperfection on April 14, 2009, 07:18:12 PM
I'm a die hard Sinopoli collector, so I gotta do what I gotta do  :) Not to mention this is perhaps one of the rarest out-of-print discs in the entire DG catalogue, hence the jaw-dropping price.

Hate to tell you, but I found one for new for 17 bucks on Amazon Marketplace, a used one "like new" for $6.50.   ???

imperfection

Quote from: nut-job on April 14, 2009, 09:18:53 PM
Hate to tell you, but I found one for new for 17 bucks on Amazon Marketplace, a used one "like new" for $6.50.   ???

Thanks for telling me. Order canceled just in time  ;)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Coopmv on April 14, 2009, 04:56:31 PM
I bought this CD last week and really enjoyed it.  What other recordings by the Hagen Quartett are worth getting?

Well, I just finished listening to the Op.18/1 from the set I posted above and the performance is definitely a keeper. Gorgeous all around. It's my first encounter with the Hagen's in early Beethoven and they are as full of energy and life as in the late quartets (energy put to different ends, of course - this is one of the early quartets after all).

So this disc is definitely recommended. 

What's most impressive (in whatever they play) is the Hagen's can summon the grandest of gestures without producing the biggest of sounds. In this, they're quite unlike a group such as the Takacs Quartet (just as a comparison), whose 'big' sound is almost hall-engulfing in scope with a forward momentum that scoops everything along as the music progresses.

The Hagen's are the complete opposite of this. They rely more on the alchemy created by the give-and-take of four "friends" in an intimate - yet lively - setting. And the stakes can get pretty high! It's simply good, honest give-and-take between four musicians who know each other's limits and aren't afraid to put the music on the hot (HOT!!!) seat. The number of ideas and insights brought forth is staggering and the group is totally fearless in their pursuit of musical truth. There's a zest, an inner glow which pours forth as all four musicians work in total unison to find the 'center' of the music. 

And the color is amazing.

It's a mixture of interpretive elements that when taken as a whole makes for some of the boldest music-making I've encountered on disc. Bold, yet never over-cooked or dishonest, thanks to the intimacy. This is the kind of sound that makes one forget all about a "hall-engulfing" sound (but I do love the Takacs).

As for other Hagen recommendations, I love their Brahms string quintets disc, their Janacek quartets disc, and their Schubert string quintet disc.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

nut-job

Quote from: Coopmv on April 14, 2009, 04:56:31 PM

I have their Mozart quartet cycle, which I have enjoyed quite a bit.

Eddie Williamson

Two used for under $13 total.  I liked Eric Himy's last Schumann disc a lot, so I thought I'd try out the Liszt.  Haven't listened to it enough to give a final evaluation, but I liked it on the drive home.  He records with a new Steingraeber & Sohn piano, may not to be to everyone's taste.

http://www.steingraeber.de/english/instruments_29.html

Novi

Arrived the past couple of days:

and Mravinsky's Prokofieff 6 and Beethoven 4 (can't find a picture).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.