Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

33 euros would have come slightly cheaper than HMV Japan's 4944 yens (at the current CAD$ exchange rate). But what can one say? First come, first served! I received this HMV offer by email and a careful scrutiny didn't uncover any better deal (where is Buywell when you need them? >:().

In any case, we're talking a coffee at Starbucks', but the important thing is they alerted me to this long deleted set, so HMV gets the arabica ! What's more important: other interested listeners might get to try them as well  :D

DavidW

and I'll be listening to them on

as a MAJOR headphone upgrade.  I'd just been grooving to the Sennheiser 555's at home.  Back in grad school I used to have the 580s, but they're not made any more. :)

jlaurson

Was accidentally deleted, hence the repost.

Look what the cat (below) dragged in.

(Apart from a Go set with gorgeous 35mm Yuki grade stones, which the Taubyy was able to haul as well.

Beethoven
Symphonies & Overtures

Immerseel, Anima Eterna
Zig Zag

Beethoven
Not quite complete Piano Sonatas

Emil Gilels
DG

Monteverdi
Sacred Music, v.3

King's Consort, R.King
Hyperion

Martinu
Orchestra & Violin, v.4

Hogwood, Matousek, CzPhO
Hyperion

Handel
Alexander B.

Robert King et al.
Hyperion

Snow Grade
35mm Go Stones

Headphones:

The HD580s (but only when well driven) still hold up really, really well, I find. They really made upgrading unnecessary...up to--and including--the HD650s. A bit round... but qualitiatively better than most that are clearer, except perhaps some of the finest Grados (which are cheaper in the sense that they don't need the extra amplifier).

But If clarity is desired, the HD 800 is the new game in town. Tested those against the Sennheiser Orpheus and HD 650 (the latter sounded shockingly inferior in direct comparison) and they are unbelievable when it comes to detail and clarity. And, for headphones, they create an amazing space around the ears. It's less like headphone-listening than any headphones I've heard.

karlhenning

"Super coupon" at Borders, so $5 off (each):

DavidW

Quote from: jlaurson on July 31, 2009, 05:29:57 AM
Headphones:

The HD580s (but only when well driven) still hold up really, really well, I find. They really made upgrading unnecessary...up to--and including--the HD650s. A bit round... but qualitiatively better than most that are clearer, except perhaps some of the finest Grados (which are cheaper in the sense that they don't need the extra amplifier).

But If clarity is desired, the HD 800 is the new game in town. Tested those against the Sennheiser Orpheus and HD 650 (the latter sounded shockingly inferior in direct comparison) and they are unbelievable when it comes to detail and clarity. And, for headphones, they create an amazing space around the ears. It's less like headphone-listening than any headphones I've heard.

Well that's interesting, looks like Sennheiser decided to finally get off their lazy butts and create a new headphone instead of merely improving on the design they already had. :)

Finishing off my purchases for the week--

The last cd is inspired by Karl's excellent new piece, which made me re-evaluate the clarinet.  Perhaps I can acknowledge that there are more fine instruments out there other than pianos, violins and cellos (oh I guess I can throw in the poor man's violin, the viola). :D

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on July 31, 2009, 06:55:33 AM
The last cd is inspired by Karl's excellent new piece, which made me re-evaluate the clarinet.

I am much honored, thank you!  And the Nielsen Concerto was a formative compositional influence, too.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2009, 06:59:08 AM
I am much honored, thank you!  And the Nielsen Concerto was a formative compositional influence, too.

;D  Well it's a superb piece. :)  I would have picked up Frost's recording with the Aho concerto included, but I'm a Blomstedt fanatic, now I'll get some more Nielsen concertos too. :)

George

I assume that you have the Mozart clarinet concerto, David?

DavidW

Quote from: George on July 31, 2009, 07:05:47 AM
I assume that you have the Mozart clarinet concerto, David?

Yup can't be without that or the Clarinet Quintet. 8)

Even though I've not been really, really into clarinet music, Mozart is part of the holy trinity and thus I listen to everything I can find by him. 0:)

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on July 31, 2009, 07:12:06 AM
Even though I've not been really, really into clarinet music, Mozart is part of the holy trinity

Mozart
Nielsen
& Henning  ;D

Harry

After listening to the chamber music of this composer, I decided to go a step further, and order some of his orchestral works.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on July 26, 2009, 08:15:21 PM

The Rome Cycle

DavidRoss talked me into it.  ;D  So did Amazon, since a third party there had a copy for $20.
This just arrived. Unfortunately, the disc labeled "Beethoven Symphonies Nos. 7 and 8" is in fact a rock music CD.  :o Some adroit Googling identified it as an album by the Boston group Extreme. I sent Blowitoutahere an email.

I should note that the album was new and in the factory plastic seal.

EDIT: 5000th post

Marc

Quote from: Renfield on July 30, 2009, 05:24:16 AM
Double-posting for some purchases, not strictly today's, but "toweek's". ;D

For one, this fuelled a running joke on Facebook about the orgasmic (!) effect of these works; for another, it is seemingly going OOP, and so I decided to stop waiting for a price-cut.

Quote from: Bogey on July 30, 2009, 05:53:02 AM
A wonderful set!

Wonderful and orgasmic .... I ordered it!

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2009, 12:33:00 PM
This just arrived. Unfortunately, the disc labeled "Beethoven Symphonies Nos. 7 and 8" is in fact a rock music CD.  :o Some adroit Googling identified it as an album by the Boston group Extreme. I sent Blowitoutahere an email.

I should note that the album was new and in the factory plastic seal.

Uh-oh... and I bought it from Blowitoutahere, too. That explains the low price.  :D

Fortunately, I quite like(d) EXTREME, having even been at one of their concerts. If it is these guys you are talking about, that is.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on July 31, 2009, 01:14:41 PM
Uh-oh... and I bought it from Blowitoutahere, too. That explains the low price.  :D

Fortunately, I quite like(d) EXTREME, having even been at one of their concerts. If it is these guys you are talking about, that is.

It's the album on the left that came in the set. Did DG tell them it was defective, I wonder? Hmmm...

FWIW, it IS a good rock album. I quite like it.

George

More than words would not be able to describe my frustration if I were in your shoes.

So sorry to hear that.  :-[

George

Godowsky Volumes 2 and 3 +
Arthur Loesser In Recital
both on:
Marston Records

Also, I became a preferred member at Marston Records today. In doing so, I now will get all of their piano releases (3 a year or so) mailed to me on the release date, shipped free. Plus I will get free CDs periodically from them as a thank you. This service is free, but I need to keep buying all new piano releases as they come out. Since I now have all the available piano CDs already and the purchases will automatically come out of my credit card, it seemed like a no-brainer. My order above was also shipped for free, as are any additional orders that I make.

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2009, 07:17:47 AM
Mozart
Nielsen
& Henning  ;D
Bartok's Contrasts belong there.

Then they were four.......

Coopmv

Quote from: George on July 31, 2009, 06:56:12 PM
Godowsky Volumes 2 and 3 +
Arthur Loesser In Recital
both on:
Marston Records

Also, I became a preferred member at Marston Records today. In doing so, I now will get all of their piano releases (3 a year or so) mailed to me on the release date, shipped free. Plus I will get free CDs periodically from them as a thank you. This service is free, but I need to keep buying all new piano releases as they come out. Since I now have all the available piano CDs already and the purchases will automatically come out of my credit card, it seemed like a no-brainer. My order above was also shipped for free, as are any additional orders that I make.

George,  You must be quite happy with every CD you have gotten from Marston Records to make this commitment ...