Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Landed yesterday:

Stockhausen – Mantra

May be the only Stockhausen I buy – at least until James sends me that Stockhausen Verlag Gift Card ; )

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry on July 15, 2010, 03:58:28 AM
I can hold it still my friend so please tell me:)

It's the Bruch. I was all excited when it came out, but did not find it to my liking, although it got some good reveiws. I though it was flat and not as exciting as it should. Maybe my expectations were too high (they were high at the time due to some reviews I had read). It may also be because the music is a step below things like the Slavonic Dances and such (and I had visions of something in that direction). They don't really remind me of dances - so perhaps they just don't live up to their name.

On the other hand, I am listening to it again now and finding it a bit more interesting on earphones (so maybe it was just the high expectations).  As long as you are not expecting too much, you may enjoy it.

And maybe someone else has heard this too and has an opinion?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

Went to Arkivmusic for the Mackerras 80th birthday set and stayed for the Naxos sale:

Sir Charles Mackerras Conducts Delius, Dvorák, Etc     

Dvorak: Piano Quartets / Sucharova-Weiser, Vlach Quartet     

Faure: Piano Quintets No 1 & 2 / Cristina Ortiz, Fine Arts Quartet     

Branco: Symphony No 3, The Death Of Manfred / Cassuto, NSO Of Ireland     

Guarnieri: Piano Concertos No 4, 5 & 6 / Barros, Conlin, Warsaw PO     

Revueltas: La Coronela, Itinerarios, Colorines / Gisele Ben-Dor     

Benjamin Lees: String Quartets No 1, 5 & 6 / Cypress String Quartet     

Nielsen: Symphony No 4 & 5 / Michael Schonwandt, Danish Nso

Harry

Quote from: ukrneal on July 15, 2010, 05:27:46 AM
It's the Bruch. I was all excited when it came out, but did not find it to my liking, although it got some good reveiws. I though it was flat and not as exciting as it should. Maybe my expectations were too high (they were high at the time due to some reviews I had read). It may also be because the music is a step below things like the Slavonic Dances and such (and I had visions of something in that direction). They don't really remind me of dances - so perhaps they just don't live up to their name.

On the other hand, I am listening to it again now and finding it a bit more interesting on earphones (so maybe it was just the high expectations).  As long as you are not expecting too much, you may enjoy it.

And maybe someone else has heard this too and has an opinion?

Well by what you are telling me you made me even more curious about The Swedish Dances. The excerpts I heard where all in soft spoken tones, with the intent of a Landler tune. Gemachlich doch vergnuglich. I have no expectations other than enjoy it in some sort of way. I will keep you posted my friend.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry on July 15, 2010, 05:56:03 AM
Well by what you are telling me you made me even more curious about The Swedish Dances. The excerpts I heard where all in soft spoken tones, with the intent of a Landler tune. Gemachlich doch vergnuglich. I have no expectations other than enjoy it in some sort of way. I will keep you posted my friend.
It seems like you always manage to find something to enjoy!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: ukrneal on July 15, 2010, 05:58:29 AM
It seems like you always manage to find something to enjoy!!

Yes I do, life is short, so one should! ;D

Orpheus

Quote from: Harry on July 15, 2010, 05:56:03 AM

You are my idol! Have my same insane curiosity  ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: kishnevi on July 14, 2010, 09:02:52 PM
Meanwhile, on Rodrigo,  this EMI double seems to have a bunch of the concerto performances mentioned in connection with the Brilliant box

Besides the concertos listed on the CD cover it also includes the Concerto in Modo Galante.

I just chanced on that two-fer at Borders, and I had a coupon, so I went ahead and bought it.  I think I shall still pick up the Naxos disc with the Concierto heróico (Complete Orchestral Works, Volume 4), for three reasons:

1. Mirror Image seems to prefer the sound of the Naxos recording.
2. Apart from the Concierto, none of the pieces on Vol. 4 is duplicated in the Bátiz two-fer.
3. There is no indication in the scant liner notes for the Bátiz two-fer . . . I wonder if the version of the Concierto is otherwise than the Achúcarro arrangement on Vol. 4.

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2010, 07:08:37 AM
I just chanced on that two-fer at Borders, and I had a coupon, so I went ahead and bought it.  I think I shall still pick up the Naxos disc with the Concierto heróico (Complete Orchestral Works, Volume 4), for three reasons:

2. Apart from the Concierto, none of the pieces on Vol. 4 is duplicated in the Bátiz two-fer.
3. There is no indication in the scant liner notes for the Bátiz two-fer . . . I wonder if the version of the Concierto is otherwise than the Achúcarro arrangement on Vol. 4.

Went probing into the depths of Wikipedia, which says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierto_heroico
A modified version of the concerto, produced for Joaquín Achúcarro, was first performed in 1999; this removed two virtuosic cadenzas and balanced the relationship between the piano and orchestral parts.

The Batiz was recorded in December 1984; and therefore unless a friendly Gallifreyan was involved,  it's not the Achucarro version.

karlhenning

Hmm . . . seems we should want the Bátiz for the "virtuosic cadenzas," doesn't it?

Franco

Not CDs, but I just purchased this week two books, of indepth analyses, by George Perle on the Berg operas.   This will no doubt prompt me, to at least attempt, to re-listen to both with a more directed attention than I ever have in the past.

I am a somewhat lazy listener, actually.

:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2010, 07:08:37 AM

Not only do I prefer the audio quality on the Naxos recording, but I prefer the performance as well. Yes, this is the revised version of this concerto. I actually prefer this version as I think the dialogue between soloist and orchestra is much more in sync with each other.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 15, 2010, 10:55:57 AM

Not only do I prefer the audio quality on the Naxos recording, but I prefer the performance as well. Yes, this is the revised version of this concerto. I actually prefer this version as I think the dialogue between soloist and orchestra is much more in sync with each other.

Thanks!

71 dB

My first Zelenka:

This set has been on my wish list for long but now I got it for 11.50 euros.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on July 15, 2010, 11:33:18 AM
My first Zelenka:

This set has been on my wish list for long but now I got it for 11.50 euros.  :)
The whole 3disc set?

71 dB

Quote from: erato on July 15, 2010, 11:55:47 AM
The whole 3disc set?
Yes, 11.50 euros for the whole set. Good bargain I think.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Elgarian

After thirty years of waiting hopefully, I finally have a Solti Ring on its way to me, for a mere £51. If you want one too at this price, see here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Ring-Nibelungen-Richard/dp/B0000042H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279228921&sr=1-1

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elgarian on July 15, 2010, 01:24:21 PM

After thirty years of waiting hopefully, I finally have a Solti Ring on its way to me, for a mere £51. If you want one too at this price, see here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Ring-Nibelungen-Richard/dp/B0000042H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279228921&sr=1-1

That is a good deal. Too bad I don't like opera.