Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 05:11:45 AM
Still . . . he didn't trouble to listen to symphonies nos. 4-9!

Imagine someone with a box of the Beethoven symphonies, and he listens to them in order . . . after listening to (and not caring for) the Third, he figures, Nah, these Beethoven symphonies can't be much . . . and doesn't bother with nos, 4 through 9 . . . .
Imagine Haydn! :) But to be fair, not many composers have quite the break in style that Beethoven has (although break is not quite the right word).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

karlhenning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 30, 2011, 05:17:59 AM
Imagine Haydn! :) But to be fair, not many composers have quite the break in style that Beethoven has (although break is not quite the right word).

True.

And actually, one could save himself a good deal of time and annoyance, adopting that strategy with either Milhaud or Petterssen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 05:20:21 AM
True.

And actually, one could save himself a good deal of time and annoyance, adopting that strategy with either Milhaud or Petterssen.

I generally like all of Milhaud's symphonies, but I think the 6th is the best of the lot. With Pettersson, his 6th-8th are the best I've heard.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 05:11:45 AM
Imagine someone with a box of the Beethoven symphonies, and he listens to them in order . . . after listening to (and not caring for) the Third, he figures, Nah, these Beethoven symphonies can't be much . . . and doesn't bother with nos, 4 through 9 . . . .

Well the third (Eroica) is my favorite, I can't honestly imagine anyone hating the third and loving 4-9.  Now if you were to say Mozart early symphonies vs the final symphonies now that would be different. ;D

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 08:03:08 AM
Now if you were to say Mozart early symphonies vs the final symphonies now that would be different. ;D

Leopold Mozart vs. Luchesi. You're comparing apples to oranges, my friend. :P

Thread duty: Chopin. Ballades. Zimerman. Oops! Wrong thread.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2011, 08:00:52 AM
I generally like all of Milhaud's symphonies, but I think the 6th is the best of the lot. With Pettersson, his 6th-8th are the best I've heard.

Thanks for (very sportingly) underscoring my point, MI!

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 08:03:08 AM
Well the third (Eroica) is my favorite, I can't honestly imagine anyone hating the third and loving 4-9.

This is another (and especially pertinent) angle, Davey; the fact that with Beethoven (or Sibelius, or Vaugha Williams, or Shostakovich, e.g.), you go through the cycle and no two consecutive symphonies are alike, and he often charts entirely new territory for himself. Anyone has the right, to be sure, to give up after no. 3; but the decision to cut out, isn't at all an informed decision.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 09:08:02 AM
This is another (and especially pertinent) angle, Davey; the fact that with Beethoven (or Sibelius, or Vaugha Williams, or Shostakovich, e.g.), you go through the cycle and no two consecutive symphonies are alike, and he often charts entirely new territory for himself. Anyone has the right, to be sure, to give up after no. 3; but the decision to cut out, isn't at all an informed decision.

Well if you were making this point I agree with you that the Schnittke symphonies are each unique as well.  Perhaps more so than Beethoven.  The devastating 7th doesn't sound anything like the strange musical joke that is the 1st, nor the luscious choral work (was that the 3rd?)...

If MI likes what he bought, I imagine he might seek out at least #6-8.  I would think that the individual recs that Edward gave in the past would serve better than the whole BIS box set and would be cheaper to boot.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 09:16:07 AM
Well if you were making this point I agree with you that the Schnittke symphonies are each unique as well.  Perhaps more so than Beethoven.  The devastating 7th doesn't sound anything like the strange musical joke that is the 1st, nor the luscious choral work (was that the 3rd?)...

If MI likes what he bought, I imagine he might seek out at least #6-8.  I would think that the individual recs that Edward gave in the past would serve better than the whole BIS box set and would be cheaper to boot.

Absolutely!  That's why I "cherry-picked" as I got my feet wet in the symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 09:16:07 AMIf MI likes what he bought, I imagine he might seek out at least #6-8.  I would think that the individual recs that Edward gave in the past would serve better than the whole BIS box set and would be cheaper to boot.

I'm going to seek out works outside of Schnittke's symphonies first with works such as Faust Cantata, Labyrinths, the Concerto Grossi series, the concertos, and his film music.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 09:16:07 AM
. . . The devastating 7th doesn't sound anything like the strange musical joke that is the 1st, nor the luscious choral work (was that the 3rd?)...

I think you must mean the Fourth, which may be my favorite of the lot (or, of those which I have heard).

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 05:07:54 AM
Much better choice (as compared to the symphony box set), if those don't win you over you need never look back on the composer. 8)

Thanks Dave. I hope to at least enjoy some of his music as I think he's such an interesting composer. Polystylism is such a fascinating approach to music, but it is also something that's difficult to get right. Ives did some great polystylistic things too.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 09:26:16 AM
I think you must mean the Fourth, which may be my favorite of the lot (or, of those which I have heard).

Oh yeah that's it!

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2011, 09:30:20 AM
Thanks Dave. I hope to at least enjoy some of his music as I think he's such an interesting composer. Polystylism is such a fascinating approach to music, but it is also something that's difficult to get right. Ives did some great polystylistic things too.

Thank you MI for telling me, that you would not even send me a piece of bubblegum, it shows that you have lost your hairs, but not your pranks. I will remember that kindness.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Harry on August 30, 2011, 09:41:11 AM
Thank you MI for telling me, that you would not even send me a piece of bubblegum, it shows that you have lost your hairs, but not your pranks. I will remember that kindness.

Well considering how you've treated me in the past, this remark, which I removed, is comparatively insignificant to the tongue lashing you gave me (i. e. Slatkin's RVW). I even apologized to you for offending you. There is just no pleasing you. I apologize, you say nothing, but if I make a catty remark you'll respond to that in a heartbeat. I just don't get it. :-\

Conor71

DavidW

I hope that you'll like it Conor, I do.  I just listened to the 6th symphony and En Saga today.  I realized that the sixth is now my favorite out of his symphonies.  And Vanska does a wonderful job lingering on the beautiful melody and not simply plowing through it like he did the first.  He seems to measure the right approach for each symphony. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on August 30, 2011, 04:09:35 PMI realized that the sixth is now my favorite out of his symphonies.

I endorse this message. :) The 6th has become my favorite Sibelius symphony and one that is seldom discussed. This symphony wasn't even discussed in the two-part documentary about his life and music called Early Years/Maturity & Silence. I have Vanska and Karajan to thank for opening up to this symphony's mystical powers for me.

By the way, Conor, I hope you enjoy this set as much as I have.

KeithW

Downloaded (FLAC) from Hyperion
[asin]B00570JX24[/asin]
[asin]B00570JXYC[/asin]
[asin]B00570JXCO[/asin]

And just arrived in the mail
[asin]B000EGDCUK[/asin]
[asin]B0050F6JQE[/asin]

Dived straight into the Victoria - wonderful collection, and performances on a par - and perhaps even exceeding - Ensemble Plus Ultra's earlier recordings.

Mirror Image

Bought a few more tonight for great prices-

I've been wanting this recording of Daniel Hope performing Berg's Violin Concerto for quite some time. Glad I finally bought it.

...and two more Schnittke recordings:

I've heard good things about the two works Cello Concerto No. 2 and In Memoriam. I listened to about 15 minutes worth of Schnittke's Symphony No. 8 and found it strangely compelling. This is a symphony I didn't listen to in the BIS set I gave away. I'm going to cherry pick Schnittke recordings. Hopefully, so far, I've done good.

Que

Went back yesterday to pick this one up, after some on line research: :)

Q