Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 28, 2012, 11:52:52 AM
Yes, that seems to be the general verdict. But I'm intrigued by Greg's description. I'm not at all allergic to Big Band Haydn, especially in the Londons. Nor allergic to a more romantic approach. Maybe I should have ordered the big box. If I were 20 years, or even 10 years younger, I would have  :D

(The above post does not 100% warrant this reply, but I am unsure who else to quote to excuse the post :P) I haven't had much success with Haydn played by full orchestras, bar some Harnoncourt, but Fischer is a curious anomoly. The playing itself has all the silken assuredness of a modern orchestra, and Fischer makes few aesthetic concessions to HIP, but the spirit is entirely chamber-like (I consider this distinct from, say, Szell's classically-oriented big band, which is mercifully clear in texture, but still a rather hard-sounding full orchestra). It's a very positive conceptual approach to Haydn.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethevich on March 28, 2012, 12:42:11 PM
(The above post does not 100% warrant this reply, but I am unsure who else to quote to excuse the post :P) I haven't had much success with Haydn played by full orchestras, bar some Harnoncourt, but Fischer is a curious anomoly. The playing itself has all the silken assuredness of a modern orchestra, and Fischer makes few aesthetic concessions to HIP, but the spirit is entirely chamber-like (I consider this distinct from, say, Szell's classically-oriented big band, which is mercifully clear in texture, but still a rather hard-sounding full orchestra). It's a very positive conceptual approach to Haydn.

'tis true... Fischer is a hybrid, without trying to be one. Like someone who tries HIP, but can't, but it all sounds good, anyway. Or the other way 'round... can HIP, but without trying. In any case not your usual homogeneous 'big band' Haydn.

Another Haydn set, D.R.Davies', takes the same basic ambivalent approach... yet has a very different effect on me. Or rather, none at all...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 28, 2012, 11:33:37 AM
There are smiles in Gurnville this day . . . .

If I listen to MI Haydn symphonies, Fischer is what I listen to. My choices for #79 & 81, never recorded on period instruments, was indisputably Fischer. I think anyone considering a modern instrument cycle of Haydn symphonies is missing the boat if he/she doesn't take advantage of Brilliant and grab that box. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Landed today:

[asin]B00004VG09[/asin]

[asin]B000000AXV[/asin]

[asin]B000004647[/asin]

[asin]B00000JSAL[/asin]

Lethevich

Quote from: jlaurson on March 28, 2012, 12:46:45 PM
'tis true... Fischer is a hybrid, without trying to be one. Like someone who tries HIP, but can't, but it all sounds good, anyway. Or the other way 'round... can HIP, but without trying. In any case not your usual homogeneous 'big band' Haydn.

Another Haydn set, D.R.Davies'  (not D. Russell-Davies, as I've was stupid enough to greet him for an evidently ill-prepared interview), takes the same basic ambivalent approach... yet has a very different effect on me.

I think what might work so well for me with Fischer's cycle is the Viennese warmth that the group has, almost so un-HIP that it comes full-circle. A lot of the competition can seem a bit drab compared to this (I couldn't manage to form an opinion on DRD it was so middling and unspectacular). Even when driving the music hard, like K. Järvi with the Tonkünstler Orchestra, there sometimes still feels as though something is missing that mere brio cannot conceal.

Scherchen is another conductor who escapes this trap somehow, and was able to lead both lucid and (for the time) unmannered performances, but for the life of me I cannot pin down why I prefer this to other standard recordings of the next few decades. Perhaps it does come down to the early and middle symphonies. If a conductor is curious enough about Haydn to explore those, perhaps he is closer to discovering what Haydn was about. Janigro's antequated recordings display a similar curiosity to Scherchen and Dorati, and are still listenable for their enthusiasm, although nowadays are compromised by problems with editions, etc.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2012, 09:19:57 AM

I own nothing by Arensky so I figured who better to guide me through the music than one of my favorite conductors: Svetlanov.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. My impression, without having actually explored the music, is that he is a pleasantly lyrical 2nd-rater. Nothing wrong with that, plus I love Russian music, so he's definitely on my watchlist.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on March 28, 2012, 04:46:46 PM
I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. My impression, without having actually explored the music, is that he is a pleasantly lyrical 2nd-rater. Nothing wrong with that, plus I love Russian music, so he's definitely on my watchlist.

Arensky was heavily influenced by Tchaikovsky (not a bad role model ;)), so I imagine the music being very melodic and accessible. From what little I've heard, the music is quite beautiful. This movement is what inspired me to pick up the Svetlanov set:

http://www.youtube.com/v/82gYTPsgF4E

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on March 27, 2012, 11:58:56 PM
I'll be curious about impressions! :)

And if you were able to get it anywhere cheap, please let me know... 8)

Q

The way things have been going for me, I bet Erato would finish listening to this set before me even though my set is still in its shrink-wrap more than a month after it arrived ...

jlaurson

Oh, second-rater might be accurate, but sounds unfair. At least the piano trios are unquestionably first rate, though.

Anton Arensky
Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio
Philips

eyeresist

Quote from: jlaurson on March 28, 2012, 05:59:48 PMOh, second-rater might be accurate, but sounds unfair. At least the piano trios are unquestionably first rate, though.

Yes, I should have said second-ranker.

kishnevi

Quote from: Orpheus on March 28, 2012, 06:36:10 AM
My Easter gift...  ;D

Orpheus  ;)

I predict Orpheus will be very felix with that one. 
Meanwhile, in a sort of counterpoint,  ImportCDs notified me that they've shipped the Teldec Complete set, so those two will sit very comfortably together on my shelves. 
And the first of my recent orders from Prestoclassical landed today, together with the Bonizzoni recording of the Goldberg Variations which Que has advocated recently.  I gave that a listen and find his description is very accurate, but I like it less than he does--that sort of performance style doesn't quite hit the spot for me, I suppose.
The Presto order meanwhile:
Glossa - GCDSA921623   Striggio: Mass for 40 and 60 voices [with other pieces for similar forces and with similar origins.  Le Concert Spirituel]
Harmonia Mundi - HMC902095  Vivaldi: Cello Concertos  (Queyras/Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin)
Harmonia Mundi - HMC902064  Bach, J S: The Art of Fugue, BWV1080 (AfAMB)
Gimell - CDGIM205      Requiem (Victoria and other Spanish composers--Tallis Scholars)
Gimell - CDGIM024      Thomas Tomkins - The Great Service (Ditto)
Harmonia Mundi - HMC902080  Bach, J L: Trauermusik (AfAMB and soloists)
Harmonia Mundi - HMC901854 Haydn: Keyboard Concertos Hob XVIII (Staier/Frieburger Barockorchester)
Harmonia Mundi - HMC901754 Alexandre Tharaud plays Rameau
Alia Vox - AV9824      L'Orchestre de Louis XIII  (Jordi Saval et amies)
Alia Vox - AVSA9807    Lully: L'Orchestre du Roi Soleil (Ditto)
Capriccio - CAP49541   Harpsichord & Fortepiano Concertos (Schornsheim/Berliner Barock-Compagney:  a 3 CD set with concertos by CPE Bach, WF Bach and JC Bach, Kirnberger, Muthel, Nichelmann, Rosetti, Wolf and Naumann)
Alia Vox - AV9809      Diáspora Sefardí (Jordi Savall v'chaverim--a 2 CD set, not strictly classical, devoted to Sefardic music.  CD 1 is devoted to songs, with Montserrat Figueras; CD 2 is strictly instrumental.  The ensemble here is Savall's other group, so to speak--Hesperion XXI)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 28, 2012, 12:51:14 PM
If I listen to MI Haydn symphonies, Fischer is what I listen to. My choices for #79 & 81, never recorded on period instruments, was indisputably Fischer. I think anyone considering a modern instrument cycle of Haydn symphonies is missing the boat if he/she doesn't take advantage of Brilliant and grab that box. :)

8)

Just a reminder that the Fischer set is part of this, which might be worth checking into, since it includes some other cycles that people seem to think favorably of (Barshai's Shostakovich, for one)--although I got it off Amazon MP for considerably less than the current price (from FabulousCDs which is really Abeille Music)

[asin]B000RI00JG[/asin]

mc ukrneal

I don't have the set that MI bought, but the music, in my opinion, is quite attractive (as I have nearly all of it with different performers). I think Arensky is under-rated. The symphony discs on Chandos are excellent, Egyptian Nights is on Marco Polo, the Piano Concerto is on Hyperion (excellent), Suites on Naxos, Violin Concerto on Hyperion, etc. If you are looking to dip your toes, I'd suggest either the first symphony on Chandos, which also comes with some other works or the Piano Concerto on Hyperion (which comes with the outstanding Bortkiewicz). There are several chamber and piano discs, which are also terrrific. His trios are quite fine, and I am interested in the newest set of quartets that came out (but have not yet heard). Someone else posted about them not too long ago.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on March 28, 2012, 05:56:47 PM
The way things have been going for me, I bet Erato would finish listening to this set before me even though my set is still in its shrink-wrap more than a month after it arrived ...

When you get to it, I'd like to hear your thoughts as well!  :) I have high expectations...

Early music to start the day:

[asin]B000WC8DGY[/asin]

Of the four versions in this set, the Messe en sol.

Q

Que

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 28, 2012, 07:49:45 PM
[...] together with the Bonizzoni recording of the Goldberg Variations which Que has advocated recently.  I gave that a listen and find his description is very accurate, but I like it less than he does--that sort of performance style doesn't quite hit the spot for me, I suppose.

Like I said: it's a love-or-hate kind of recording.  ::)  8)
I repeat my caveat that, considering the number of subsuquent purchases, seems perhaps to have been somewhat overlooked or taken lightly: this performance is an acquired taste that can be simply too much or idiosyncratic for some! :o

QuoteThe Presto order meanwhile:
Glossa - GCDSA921623   Striggio: Mass for 40 and 60 voices [with other pieces for similar forces and with similar origins.  Le Concert Spirituel]

A whole list of delectable goodies, but this one jumps out! :) Since the discovery of this important Griggio mass, only one other recording has been issued, and that was not quite what I was looking for: (very) large forces and in British choral style. I was waiting for a more appropriate approach and Niquet might be the ticket. Please keep me posted on that one. :)

Q

jlaurson

Listen what the Cat Dragged In

A. Bruckner
Symphony No.4
Ivor Bolton / Mozarteumorchester
Oehms OC 407

So far this cycle hasn't quite imprinted itself in my Bruckner-mind, but I know I'll be glad to listen to them as alternative, less weighty takes when I look for such an approach.

J.S. Bach
Orchestral Works
(AoF, Suites, B'burgs, Concertos)
K.Ristenpart / Saar Radio Chamber Orchestra
Accord / Universal

Ristenpart never got to fulfill his Cantata-cycle that he had started and had to abandon in Berlin with the RIAS. But he went on to record virtually all of Bach's orchestral works at his subsequent post with Saar Radio .

Sergeant Rock

The hardest-working woman in the Bundespost has been slacking off lately, but today she delivered a sizable haul: Bax, Tippett, Schumann, Mahler and my 14th Ring cycle:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 29, 2012, 12:32:48 AM

Sarge

Ahh! What a treat this should be!! Watch the subtitles (it'll further improve your German  ;)) and check out how the acting is timed to every syllable. An amazing feat.

The new erato

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 28, 2012, 07:49:45 PM
Harmonia Mundi - HMC902080  Bach, J L: Trauermusik (AfAMB and soloists)
Alia Vox - AV9824      L'Orchestre de Louis XIII  (Jordi Saval et amies)
Alia Vox - AVSA9807    Lully: L'Orchestre du Roi Soleil (Ditto)
All these extremely strongly recommended.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 29, 2012, 12:32:48 AM

That's a such a great recording, Sarge. I hope you enjoy it.