Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2012, 01:25:00 PM
That Rattle concert sounds interesting especially for the Ligeti and Sibelius. Schuman is a fascinating composer. I haven't yet cracked some of his music like his later symphonies but they are solid pieces of music. Schuman's 4th is becoming a favorite of mine. Just received a new performance of it today on Albany Records that was fantastic. It's in three-movement form and has a structure of fast/slow/fast. Really exciting piece of music. Tippett has proven to be a wonderful rediscovery for me. He's also opened the doors for me to begin appreciating the later generation of British composers.

I guess you're going to finish Wagner's Ring before moving onto anything else. Karajan's performance of Gotterdammerung is simply outstanding. You'll really enjoy this, Daniel.

Certainly, John! I cannot express how excited I am about possibly seeing the BPO live! You should have seen how excited I was when I saw the Philharmonie concert hall in the distance when I was in Berlin on  a history school trip.... and that's just the hall! To see the orchestra would be.... :O I so hope that we get tickets!!!!!! :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying Schuman, John. I am really looking forward to exploring this composer! And yes, Tippett too! :)

Thank you, John. I look forward to it very much....! :)

By the way, something you may be interested in:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2012/categories/proms-on-tv
You may not be able to be here for the actual concerts, but there are many I know you'd love to see and you may be able to access these ones as they are to be broadcast on television, and therefore uploaded to the BBC Iplayer website if you can get hold of it! Worth a try!! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 19, 2012, 01:42:36 PM
Certainly, John! I cannot express how excited I am about possibly seeing the BPO live! You should have seen how excited I was when I saw the Philharmonie concert hall in the distance when I was in Berlin on  a history school trip.... and that's just the hall! To see the orchestra would be.... :O I so hope that we get tickets!!!!!! :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying Schuman, John. I am really looking forward to exploring this composer! And yes, Tippett too! :)

Thank you, John. I look forward to it very much....! :)

By the way, something you may be interested in:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2012/categories/proms-on-tv
You may not be able to be here for the actual concerts, but there are many I know you'd love to see and you may be able to access these ones as they are to be broadcast on television, and therefore uploaded to the BBC Iplayer website if you can get hold of it! Worth a try!! :)

Thank you, Daniel. I will checkout this website. I'm sure there's some interesting programs to watch.

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this morning: Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti and Facsimile.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 19, 2012, 12:49:20 PM
. . . That break only lasts two weeks though. I managed to get through to Siegfried Act 2 in that time, listening to barely anything else.

Yes, two weeks were ample even for a (single) Wagner opera.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 20, 2012, 02:56:01 AM
Arrived this morning: Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti and Facsimile.

Sarge

Bernstein's Facsimile is a cool work, Sarge. I hope you enjoy it.

Mirror Image

Just bought without hesitation:

rickardg

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 18, 2012, 06:43:25 PM
(reworkings of Bob Dylan song?!)

I'm sure you already know this, but Corigliano is only using the texts from the Dylan songs. In the booket he even claims to have never heard the Dylan versions, hard to believe that someone who was 24 years old in 1962 (and presumably living in NY) haven't heard "Blowin' in the Wind".

These songs (for orchestra and amplified soprano) are actually favourites of mine. The music has a lot of impact and fits the lyrics great, accessible but not cross-over.

Edit: Here's what I wrote when I first heard it a few years back.

Quote from: rickardg on September 12, 2008, 11:44:12 AM
Again.

This is turning out to be a new favourite of mine. I like the mid-part best where the ominous "Blowing in the Wind" (How many roads must a man walk down? Corigliano's music seems to suggest a very large number indeed as opposed to Dylan's stroll around the block.) is followed by a suitably violent "Masters of War" and a deliriously confused "All along the Watchtower". The postlude "Forever Young" is a serene cathartic ending. The remaining songs ("Clothes Line" and "Chimes of Freedom") don't grip me that much but it could be because I don't know the lyrics as well.

I wondered how the soprano voice could sound so relaxed and intimate even in the more dramatic passages, a perusal of the notes reveals that the part is specified as 'amplified soprano'.

Mirror Image

Also just bought without hesitation:

[asin]B006O51D0Q[/asin]

I can't wait to hear Bavouzet in Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain. Right now my current favorite version is Argerich/Barenboim and this isn't the first time Bavouzet challenged Argerich. I think he outshined her in Ravel's Piano Concerto in G. Bavouzet also turned in the best Concerto for left-hand I had ever heard. The guy simply has the Midas touch.

Mirror Image

Also bought:

[asin]B0026ISQRS[/asin]

Mainly for Schuman's Undertow.

[asin]B0016MJ3NG[/asin]

Bought this for Schuman's Violin Concerto, which I have not heard, but it will be nice to own another performance of Bernstein's Serenade.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2012, 10:09:54 AM
Also just bought without hesitation:

[asin]B006O51D0Q[/asin]

I can't wait to hear Bavouzet in Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain. Right now my current favorite version is Argerich/Barenboim and this isn't the first time Bavouzet challenged Argerich. I think he outshined her in Ravel's Piano Concerto in G. Bavouzet also turned in the best Concerto for left-hand I had ever heard. The guy simply has the Midas touch.

I found the non concerto pieces to be the better performances on that disc.  I have another Argerich performance,  from Lugano 2009--it's in the EMI Argerich Concertos box--that I think well of, and about equal to Bavouzet.   (Don't have the performance you have.)

Thread duty:  bought this, more or less on impulse while in Barnes and Noble this morning:

Temptation was too much, although it's not as if I lack Brahms symphony cycles (Muti, Rattle, Eschenbach, and probably at least one more that I don't remember at the moment) and a hotch potch of individual recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2012, 11:23:26 AM
I found the non concerto pieces to be the better performances on that disc.

I'll be the judge of that. :D Considering I have fairly large Falla collection, these performances are up against some very stiff competition.

Conor71

kishnevi

At least some of those pieces are in the Pollini 20th century box I got recently.  Have yet to listen to them, however, and when I went to check what was in it from that CD realized I can't find the box.  Will have to organize a search party later this evening,  I suppose. 

ETA: Found the box.  "Como una ola" and "sofferte" are together on CD 2 of the Pollini box with a piece by Manzoni, although originally all three were issued on three separate recordings coupled with other works that did not involve piano.

Meanwhile, thread duty--another B&N purchase, this time online with a coupon that brought this down to Amazon MP price levels:

Mirror Image

Just bought for $4:

[asin]B0000029XW[/asin]

I was to find out that I didn't own Bernstein's first go around with Copland's 3rd. I own his second, much later performance. I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Coopmv

Order that was placed 2 days ago ...

Mirror Image

Just bought for $10:

kishnevi

joined the queue at Amazon

Coopmv

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 20, 2012, 07:39:46 PM
joined the queue at Amazon

Though I already have 2 volumes, the offering price at Amazon was just too good to pass up even if I end up having a few duplicates ...

The new erato

There has been no separate issue of single discs from this set.

Que

.[asin]B007IJKKV0[/asin]

I just joined the club... For €30 all-in it's a steal! :)
I was planning on buying the Dutch de luxe edition containing books with the CD's. But at it costs an arm and a leg... :-\ The Psalms alone (4 books) cost €166,50! :o I'm all for celebrating Dutch national pride, but this celebration exceeds my budget... I'm quite satified with an ordinary CD-booklet - and I'll just skip the translations. 8)

Q