Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Octave, I hope you enjoy the Koechlin, Tippett, Martinu, and well you've already heard the Part. All fine recordings.

marvinbrown

I need to beef up my Prokofiev symphony collection, all I have is Symphony no.1 "classical" and was planning on buying the Weller set on the Brilliant label  but I have read nothing but stellar and I do mean STELLAR reviews about the Karajan Prokofiev Symphony no.5 recording so I just had to see what all the fuss was about!!

[asin]B00004R7X4[/asin]

marvin

Mirror Image

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 06, 2013, 08:23:52 AM

I need to beef up my Prokofiev symphony collection, all I have is Symphony no.1 "classical" and was planning on buying the Weller set on the Brilliant label  but I have read nothing but stellar and I do mean STELLAR reviews about the Karajan Prokofiev Symphony no.5 recording so I just had to see what all the fuss was about!!

[asin]B00004R7X4[/asin]

marvin

The Ozawa, Jarvi, and Kitajenko sets are remarkable, Marvin. You may want to investigate those at some point. As for this Karajan performance, I thought it was pretty good, but doesn't erase my mind of performances I've already heard.

marvinbrown

//
Quote from: Mirror Image on January 06, 2013, 08:48:48 AM
The Ozawa, Jarvi, and Kitajenko sets are remarkable, Marvin. You may want to investigate those at some point. As for this Karajan performance, I thought it was pretty good, but doesn't erase my mind of performances I've already heard.

Thank you for those recommendations MI  8) I was not aware of them.

marvin

Que

Quote from: Octave on January 06, 2013, 01:05:09 AM
Shoring up holes in the collection that have long been beckoning for shoring; mainly things I have been enjoying illegally for some time now.  Plus some new explorations.

[asin]B000ZBPPV8[/asin]

Excellent choice!  8)

Quote[asin]B0085MK2GW[/asin]

Of Gould's non-Bach I like that Brahms album best. :)

Q

The new erato

Me too. I reproted on it in the listening thread, saying something like Gould's relatively cool (objective) style suiting these works particularly well.

Brian

Quote from: Octave on January 06, 2013, 01:05:09 AM
[asin]B0085MK2GW[/asin]

That link leads to a set of hilarious Amazon reviews! The best part:

"Why did he spend so much time recording music that has limited interest, even among knowledgeable musicians and hardcore Gould fans. For example a piece or two of Schonberg would be fine, but hours and hours of it?? Really?? Ditto for Strauss and Wagner. A little of any of these guys goes a long ways, but Gould really poured it on. I think of all the works I would have loved to hear him interpret such as the Diabelli Variations, the Schubert sonatas, Beethoven's Waldstein and the complete Art of the Fugue, and instead we have hours of Schonberg!!!"

Karl Henning

Whoa: he did hours and hours of Schoenberg? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: James on January 06, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
Just snapped these up ...

[asin]B000E6UMKI[/asin]

This one is outstanding!  Haven't heard the other one featuring Janacek & Martinu.  Let us know your thoughts.

Mirror Image

Quote from: marvinbrown on January 06, 2013, 09:15:12 AM
//
  Thank you for those recommendations MI  8) I was not aware of them.

marvin

You're welcome, Marvin! :D

kishnevi

This landed yesterday.  I posted it when I ordered it, but thought a repost was in order to give a better listing of the contents;  the CD could reasonably be called "Jonathan Biss Plays Schumann" since he appears in every piece of music here.

Track listings and artists other than Biss
1-12 Papillons, Op. 2 
13-16  Four Songs
      Widmung, Op 25/1; Der Nussbaum, Op. 25/3; Meine Rose, Op. 90/2; Requiem, Op. 90/7
      Emma Bell, soprano
17-19 Fantasiestucke, Op. 73
      Martin Frost, clarinet
20-23 Piano Quintet in E flat, Op. 44
      Jerusalem Quartet

(Nota Bene: Looking for the image on Amazon revealed that a release appeared last year on Onyx, his current label, in which he performs the Quintet with the Elias String Quartet, of whom I've never heard before, paired with Dvorak Quintet No. 2)

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 06, 2013, 06:12:02 PM
(Nota Bene: Looking for the image on Amazon revealed that a release appeared last year on Onyx, his current label, in which he performs the Quintet with the Elias String Quartet, of whom I've never heard before, paired with Dvorak Quintet No. 2)

One of three (!) Schumann Quintet recordings to come out last year, along with Fine Arts Qt + Xiayin Wang and Jerusalem Qt + Alexander Melnikov.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2013, 06:28:37 PM
One of three (!) Schumann Quintet recordings to come out last year, along with Fine Arts Qt + Xiayin Wang and Jerusalem Qt + Alexander Melnikov.

I listening to the Quintet portion of the CD now.  Overall,  I think I'd suggest Jerusalem/Melnikov over Jerusalem/Biss.  The performances on this CD are fine (they date from 2004), but one need not think one is missing an essential performance if you don't get it.  For me, the satisfaction lies in the fact that it helps complete my Jerusalem Quartet  collection.

More thread duty:
just ordered from Arkivmusic's clearance sale.  This may look a lot, but the total actually came to under $75US.  The Mozart was $19.99, the others either $5.99 or $7.99.   I did actually drop a few off the cart before ordering....
and
GURN ALERT! GURN ALERT!

Mirror Image

Brian

Hrm, maybe you're buying it for the choral works, but you know Amazon has the Bernstein Symphony Edition for $82, right?

[asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2013, 07:28:09 PM
Hrm, maybe you're buying it for the choral works, but you know Amazon has the Bernstein Symphony Edition for $82, right?

[asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]

I own most of everything from the Bernstein Symphony Edition except for the Haydn performances. Oh, and the Mozart performances, but we know how I feel about his music already. ;)

Octave

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 06, 2013, 07:10:29 PM
Just bought for $24:

I have gotten so much pleasure out of these recordings.  I have been listening to these Paris Symphonies in ym car just this past two days as a propadeutic/reference for the newer/older Harnoncourt versions on their way to me in the mail.  A flourishing of wit and joy.  Spring 2013 will suck, because I am going to be trawling through the Haydn composer discussion thread and racking up a want-list of ~50 items minimum, while languishing in my CD acquisition sabbath.  Bad news!

I am even tilting a bit toward HIP conception in Haydn, these days; and still these Bernstein recordings are just marvelous musicmaking.  The choral stuff---not in that huge 'symphony' set mentioned above---is at least as fine as the symphonies.  Worth $24 by itself!
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Octave on January 06, 2013, 09:05:11 PM
I have gotten so much pleasure out of these recordings.  I have been listening to these Paris Symphonies in ym car just this past two days as a propadeutic/reference for the newer/older Harnoncourt versions on their way to me in the mail.  A flourishing of wit and joy.  Spring 2013 will suck, because I am going to be trawling through the Haydn composer discussion thread and racking up a want-list of ~50 items minimum, while languishing in my CD acquisition sabbath.  Bad news!

I am even tilting a bit toward HIP conception in Haydn, these days; and still these Bernstein recordings are just marvelous musicmaking.  The choral stuff---not in that huge 'symphony' set mentioned above---is at least as fine as the symphonies.  Worth $24 by itself!

Thanks for the feedback, Octave. Haydn is the only Classical Era composer I enjoy and continue to enjoy.

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this morning,  the Wolf-Ferrari Violin Concerto played by Benjamin Schmid and the Oviedo Filarmonia, Friedrick Haider conducting. Recommended by Jens, the box coming in at number 2 on his Best of Year list.

"The concerto is a melodic feast for listeners, a rhythmic joyride for violinists, fiendishly difficult, exciting, and rewarding as hell[...]Wolf-Ferrari has a gift for masterly turns of phrases, has you in suspense with just two notes. You'll find touches of Beethoven's Ninth, Sibelius, and playful hints of Italian opera (Boito, Verdi) in them, and bop along. The Farao release comes with exemplary liner notes, in lavish packaging, and with a bonus DVD." --jfl

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2013, 02:57:41 PM
Whoa: he did hours and hours of Schoenberg? ; )

That's actually less hyperbolic than you might imagine. The Schoenberg/Gould box I own contains two hours of Arnie.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"