Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Sammy on February 16, 2013, 10:00:42 PM
Don't be surprised to open up Feltsman's Partitas and find more than one disc.

It landed today (with the Dudamel Mahlers and the Monk set).
You were right--2 CDs with total timing of 2 hours.
For those interested, not only does Arkiv list it as a single CD, but is apparently pricing it as a single CD.

kishnevi

Listening to Vladimir Feltsman playing The Art of Fugue prompted me to go on a Feltsman frenzy. 
Ordered the following of his recordings, some from Arkivmusic and some from Amazon MP (including one UK dealer, which I don't usually do, but the price was about $10 less than anyone else).
Bach: English Suites
Bach: Well Tempered Clavier
Beethoven: Sonatas 28 and 29 (Hammerklavier)
Beethoven: Sonatas 30-32
Beethoven: Moonlight, Appassionate and Pastorale sonatas
Chopin:  Waltzes and Impromptus
Chopin: Ballades and other works
Chopin: Nocturnes and other works

Octave

Vile, abject failure at self-control: that's all.  I was motivated by a discount offered by a penitent online dealer who thrice screwed up an order and the subsequent charging of my card; and I didn't even raise a stink about it!  Maybe a little too easy.....
Crafty bastards!

[asin]B00005CCZ0[/asin]
Perhaps the first HIP Brahms I'll have heard?  I like the cover but I don't understand it at all.  "Brahms the Revolutionary"?

[asin]B00000E4HS[/asin]
It seems that Arkiv offers an expensive burn-on-demand, yet there are still ample new copies floating about...I don't often see that.  I barely know Mussorgsky at all, though I was floored enough by BORIS GODUNOV to get two recordings of it very close to one another.  I hope this acquisition was a good one to go on...

[asin]B003E1QD4Y[/asin]
The last of the Alto label's trilogy (?) of dedicated Schubert discs by Richter that I needed.

[asin]B004JWWTA4[/asin]

[asin]B00ACHXHII[/asin]

[asin]B0001Z2RSW[/asin]

[asin]B0002XL21G[/asin]

[asin]B0000014C1[/asin]
Mainly for the Clavier-Übung III, though samples I have heard from the other discs have been interesting.

[asin]B0000030PK[/asin]
I understand that Hamelin's Alkan is at least incredible pianism; but in a confusion of testimonials, I decided on this Gibbons as my intro to Alkan.

[asin]B004IXP5P0[/asin]
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Conor71

Bought a few things this week - Im not sure if the Bartok was a good idea as I dont like him much apart from the CFO  :-[ .  I still havent heard a lot from him if Im being honest so I will try to keep an open mind :) I owned the Ysaye Quartet and QI Discs before but I cant find them anywhere - I think I must have sold them when we still had a Classical Music Shop in Perth last year because I have big boxes with these works too. I have been a bit too eager to sell stuff in the past to fund new Discs but I make a point of keeping everything now!  :laugh: .

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Conor on February 23, 2013, 01:43:21 AM
Bought a few things this week - Im not sure if the Bartok was a good idea as I dont like him much apart from the CFO  :-[ .  I still havent heard a lot from him if Im being honest so I will try to keep an open mind :) I owned the Ysaye Quartet and QI Discs before but I cant find them anywhere - I think I must have sold them when we still had a Classical Music Shop in Perth last year because I have big boxes with these works too. I have been a bit too eager to sell stuff in the past to fund new Discs but I make a point of keeping everything now!  :laugh: .

I haven't listened to the Rattle, but the Solti Bartok set is amazing, it contains my favourite recordings of the Concerto for Orchestra, the Dance Suite and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (along with Karajan's recording).
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this cold, snowy morning from JPC: Reger Piano Concerto (but purchased as much for the Bach/Busoni Concerto); and the complete keyboard sonatas of Haydn, played on a modern piano by Rudolf Buchbinder.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 21, 2013, 09:57:12 AM
Hogwash...

Well, if you just had to pull an MI ( :D ) there are few more deserving Bruckner recordings for which to do it (IMHO, of course).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Daverz

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 23, 2013, 02:54:22 AM
Well, if you just had to pull an MI ( :D ) there are few more deserving Bruckner recordings for which to do it (IMHO, of course).

I have a Celibidache B3 on some Italian knock-off label (Exclusive IIRC), and it's beautiful, much like his 6th.  It's the same as the DG B3 according to abruckner.com.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 23, 2013, 02:54:22 AM

Sarge

Do tell, kind sir.  :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on February 22, 2013, 08:47:53 PM
[asin]B00000E4HS[/asin]
It seems that Arkiv offers an expensive burn-on-demand, yet there are still ample new copies floating about...I don't often see that.  I barely know Mussorgsky at all, though I was floored enough by BORIS GODUNOV to get two recordings of it very close to one another.  I hope this acquisition was a good one to go on...

[asin]B00ACHXHII[/asin]

[asin]B0001Z2RSW[/asin]

I expect you will enjoy these very much.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

stingo

I heard about this recording on a podcast and it intrigued me enough to pull the trigger. It features Beethoven's complete (so Amazon says) works for piano duet. There are two discs, one featuring the music played on a forte piano, and the other having a grand piano. I've not listened to it yet, but hope to get to it this weekend.

[asin]B008N66L2Y[/asin]

Conor71

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 23, 2013, 02:18:58 AM
I haven't listened to the Rattle, but the Solti Bartok set is amazing, it contains my favourite recordings of the Concerto for Orchestra, the Dance Suite and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (along with Karajan's recording).

Good stuff!, thanks Ilaria  :D

Conor71

Got this last week too:
Edit: Added the Adams disc this morning

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on February 21, 2013, 10:48:02 AM
Just landed:

[asin]B000001415[/asin] Already!

Talk to me, Karl.  I have a set on the shelf:

but should I own two based on these performances? 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

otare

I just ordered from amazon.de:

Nice that they are reissuing the old EMI Electrola recordings. Lots of light romantic opera to be found. And I have fond memories of the Reflexe series that seems to be in the process of being reissued.

The new erato

Quote from: otare on February 24, 2013, 10:10:41 AM
I just ordered from amazon.de:

Nice that they are reissuing the old EMI Electrola recordings. Lots of light romantic opera to be found. And I have fond memories of the Reflexe series that seems to be in the process of being reissued.
Are they really cheaper there than from UK sources when you include p&p (the selection at amazon.uk seems a little haphazard, but I've bought quite a few titles from there and presto)?

otare

I haven't seen these in the UK store, and they end up about the same (slightly more) I think. I paid 30€ including p&p.
They will probably show up in the UK store after a while, but I was bored, and the "buy" button was winking at me... ;)

Edit: Just checked and they are available in England, but the price is higher. 33£ for the same CDs in amazon.co.uk. Slightly cheaper from Presto, but they don't have Undine

Coopmv

Quote from: The new erato on February 24, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
Are they really cheaper there than from UK sources when you include p&p (the selection at amazon.uk seems a little haphazard, but I've bought quite a few titles from there and presto)?

I have found the EMI Icon boxes are actually priced lower at a number of Amazon US sellers than the Presto sale prices.  As such, there is not much economic incentive for me to buy from Presto. 

sheffmark

Mozart - Symphonies 11 - 14

Mozart - Symphonies 21 - 24 & 26
Sorry for asking stupid questions!
I'm a complete novice and always will be!!

-Mark-

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler