Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwilbanks

Individual works on iTunes, Schumann both:

Cello Concerto in A Mnior, op. 129 - Ma/Davis et al

Symphony No. 4 in D Minor(!), op. 120 - Furtwangler/BPO

Lilas Pastia

Today I indulged in a  bunch of hyper budget priced reissues: two 10-cd  sets of songs with Edith Piaf for 7.99  :o :o, and  Ella Fitzgerald material for 18.99$. Only one :o, but still...

And a new DGG Beethoven 9th with the Cleveland Orchestra under Welser-Möst. I'm not a clevelander fanatic, and certainly not a WM admirer. But I was attracted at the prostect of hearing Measha Brueggergosman and René Pape in the soprano and bass parts. DG seems to have gone the way of shamelessly advertising itself through paper blurbs. The back cover has a rave notice from the Miami Herald (what was its man doing in Cleveland??). Maybe they wanted to avoid the Plain Dealer's local critic and thought a Miami guy was more credible  ???

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 19, 2007, 03:26:05 PM

Yet another Beethoven symphony recording from DG?!? And hot on the heels of Pletnev's brand new Beethoven symphony cycle??

This strikes me as DG simply trying to make a big splash with their newest signee, Welser-Möst. Hogtie him to the biggest name in the classical biz in the biggest symphony in the classical biz. Guaranteed to rake in the $$. ::)

I'm saddened DG couldn't have seen fit to record/release something new from Martinu, or Scriabin, or Enescu...

ANYTHING but more Beethoven!

Not that I have any objections to you purchasing it, André! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

We REALLY need more Enesco!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

This little gem from Christophorus.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 19, 2007, 03:26:05 PM
DG seems to have gone the way of shamelessly advertising itself through paper blurbs. The back cover has a rave notice from the Miami Herald (what was its man doing in Cleveland??). Maybe they wanted to avoid the Plain Dealer's local critic and thought a Miami guy was more credible  ???

The Cleveland Orchestra resides in Miami each year. They have a three week subscription series in the winter. The Beethoven Ninth was one of the highlights of their first year of residency.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

This fine Brilliant issue.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2007, 12:56:15 AM
This little gem from Christophorus.

How much did she cost you, Harry?

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 20, 2007, 02:18:18 AM
How much did she cost you, Harry?

;D :D ;D

Sarge

My soul, and all my cd's in the bargain, but she is worth it, she is! ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2007, 02:24:20 AM
My soul, and all my cd's

Liar, liar! The soul all right, but the CDs I very much doubt it. What will be your life in Hell without them?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2007, 02:27:55 AM
Liar, liar! The soul all right, but the CDs I very much doubt it. What will be your life in Hell without them?  ;D

I've got Scarlett to comfort me, to comfort me..........................

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2007, 02:36:01 AM
I've got Scarlett to comfort me, to comfort me..........................

What if she goes to Heaven, what then, eh?  :D

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on September 20, 2007, 02:39:14 AM
What if she goes to Heaven, what then, eh?  :D

Then I will be redeemed of my sins, and I may walk with her to the gates of heaven. 0:)

hautbois

I am in a treat! I hope... :-[

Howard

Harry

Well its a dive in the dark, but what the h....., per box only 8,00 euro's.
There is always the refuse bin, right?

Harry

And a third.

bhodges

Vivaldi: Orlando furioso (Spinosi/Ensemble Matheus)

Not a purchase, but a gift from a friend who thought I wouldn't have bought this for myself.  (He was right!)  But I am looking forward to hearing it, after all the excellent reviews.

--Bruce

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 20, 2007, 02:08:29 AM
The Cleveland Orchestra resides in Miami each year. They have a three week subscription series in the winter. The Beethoven Ninth was one of the highlights of their first year of residency.

Sarge

I understand. So the Herald was reviewing a Miami performance, not the Severance Hall one recorded here. But still, why would DG quote a review of a different performance, presumably with different soloists?? Anyhow, it's as good as the advert on the cover would have you believe. The sound is a bit strange, though.

Hector

I feel faintly depressed reading this thread.

Perhaps it's all this Barock aural wallpaper.

Somebody tell us about buying some truly out of the mainstream Romantic orchestral, please. :)