Jozef Koffler (1896-1944?)

Started by Maciek, June 01, 2007, 02:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

A notable figure in Polish 20th century music. Józef Koffler was Poland's only 12-tone composer in the strict sense of the term, and an exceptionally good one too! In the early 1920s he met Alban Berg, in 1929 began his steady correspondence with Schoenberg.

During the communist era Koffler was practically completely forgotten, as dodecaphony was considered a sick fancy bourgeois concept. Only since the early 90s is he being slowly reintroduced into the Polish repertoire.

He is definitely one of those 12-tone composers whose music is very pleasant to the ear and doesn't "sound 12-tone". It's not over-intellectualized. It's highly emotional and enjoyable. What is most important - it is very original, Koffler was never completely bound by the "rules" of the 12-tone composing technique. About 10 years ago I heard his Piano Concerto (still unrecorded) and was really impressed - this music was certainly fun! I can say the same for everything else I've heard - truly a first rate composer.

His death date is not known for sure. In 1941 he was arrested by the Nazis in Lviv and taken to the Wieliczka ghetto. He is known to have been hiding in the area of Krosno after the liquidation of the Wieliczka ghetto. It is supposed that he perished somewhere in that area, shot to death together with his family.

Not many of his works have been released on CD. Acte Préalable recorded his complete piano works on 2 volumes, and there's a volume of the Agnieszka Duczmal edition containing his string orchestra transcription of the Goldberg Variations:

Many of his works did not survive the war - his entire catalogue consists of only a few more than 20 pieces. :(

Any fans lurking about?

Maciek

Maciek

Due to this composer's immense popularity ::), I've posted his 2nd Symphony in the Broadcast Corner. ;D 8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hello, Maciek!

I had an immense backlog of GMG pages to look through, so I'm a bit late in seeing this. I'll have a listen to Koffler's Second. The fragment from the Finale sounds very appealing (the work is written for 'small' orchestra, but the music doesn't sound small...)

All the best!

Johan
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maciek

Hi Johan! :D

Remember to post your impressions about the piece! $:) 0:) ;)

All the best from Vilnius, where I'm currently staying! 8)

Maciek

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'll certainly 'report my findings', Maciek!

Greetings from Delft, as ever!

Johan
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato