Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Thanks! Making good, gradual progress
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

I'm glad to hear it.  Of course we only know each other tangentially, but I was really quite alarmed by the news. It's a relief to hear that things are moving in the right direction.
   As far as "The fat enders" goes, you used to be about 35 pounds heavier than I was, and now you've vaulted right past me.  I've got some catching up to do.
It's all good...

vandermolen

Virtue Signalling Post

I have now lost 1 stone on my new healthy heating regime (no bread, no cheese, no sweets, cake, biscuits, chocolate, more water, no fruit drinks, Kolko instead of milk and more decaf tea, no alcohol (sort of))

Soon I'll be able to audition for Legolas the elf if there's a new production of Lord of the Rings. Mind you, posting about it here will probably be the kiss-of-death for this diet.
0:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

5'8"/173cm

The first few months -

Update -

As ever, how I feel and how my clothes fit are more important than the numbers.
The calorific deficit is easy to maintain (I always had a sandwich before bed - about 300 calories - so I stopped having it) and is enough to see steady progress. Another four to six weeks and I'll see how I look and feel then.

e: overall the last six months or so have seen me feel better than I have for the past few years. Good stuff.

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF4 on May 25, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
5'8"/173cm

The first few months -

Update -

As ever, how I feel and how my clothes fit are more important than the numbers.
The calorific deficit is easy to maintain (I always had a sandwich before bed - about 300 calories - so I stopped having it) and is enough to see steady progress. Another four to six weeks and I'll see how I look and feel then.

e: overall the last six months or so have seen me feel better than I have for the past few years. Good stuff.
Excellent Nik! Keep up the good work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2019, 02:37:10 PM
Excellent Nik! Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Allied to the gym and my trapeze lessons (in another thread you asked where I'd been) the past six months or so have been hugely positive.

Good work on your weight loss. You shouldn't feel even for a moment that posting about it is the kiss of death. Enjoy the current benefits and those that are still to come.

NikF4

Broken finger - no more trapeze/training in general? = bollocks to that. A 'mere bagatelle'.  8)

e: but seriously, f"ck that.

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF4 on June 07, 2019, 05:05:25 AM
Broken finger - no more trapeze/training in general? = bollocks to that. A 'mere bagatelle'.  8)

e: but seriously, f"ck that.

Oof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF4

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 07, 2019, 05:51:11 AM
Oof!

karlushka, relative to what you've seen dealing with on a daily basis it's fuck all, but, it has changed my plans for the summer. Still, it could always be worse. Vy ponimayete?

NikF4

Quote from: NikF4 on June 07, 2019, 06:13:12 AM
karlushka, relative to what you've been dealing with on a daily basis it's fuck all, but, it has changed my plans for the summer. Still, as I say it could always be worse. Vy ponimayete?

NikF4

BTW, my reason for difficulty in posting/quoting etc is because I've finally started to carry a smartphone when on the the go, albeit a five or six year old smartphone. Rhetorical question: who the fuck needs access to everything/everyone, every minute of the day? Maybe parents and/of carers for the elderly. The rest of it is about having an attention seeking/validation dispensing device. IMO, of course.

e:  ;)

e2: I usually look at the end of the month, but -

I'll adjust the calories (not by very much) and so deal with it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF4 on June 07, 2019, 06:13:12 AM
karlushka, relative to what you've seen dealing with on a daily basis it's fuck all, but, it has changed my plans for the summer. Still, it could always be worse. Vy ponimayete?

The once and future clarinetist emphasizes with a broken finger ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

An old thread.
   Anyway, my weight has been drifting up with my age, and I've been having joint pain and other problems. Suddenly, I felt wildly inspired to lose weight.  Starting with keto diet. I'm at about 97 kilos.  My goal is to get to 88 by mid July. I put some weight equipment in my office, and busted out my yogurt maker.
   Lets go!
It's all good...

steve ridgway

Keto diet will do it. After a week's holiday with my parents in November I was 12st 9.75lb / 80.5 kg and lost 10lb / 4.5 kg in the next two weeks with proper keto (scrambled eggs instead of potatoes / rice / pasta). I've not been so strict since but have kept below my red line of 12st / 76 kg. Today 11st 11.5lb / 75 kg and lowest so far (last week) was 11st 9.5 lb / 74 kg which is 6.5 kg below my starting point. I don't really want to go lower than that, 11st 12lb / 75 kg looks about right for me.  I'm sure you could lose 9 kg by July starting from a higher weight. I do a lot of walking and some upper body muscle building exercise but the food is the main factor. If you can do all your eating within an 8 hour window and leave it out for a 16 hour break it will also help with any insulin system problem like diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Mookalafalas

Hi, Steve.  That is encouraging. I have tried keto in the past, with mixed results. I always lose a lot at first (when your body flushes the water weight), but then soon hit a wall. I also did the "window of eating time", but cheated too many times, I think. I'm hoping this time I can stick to it better...
It's all good...

Jo498

I think the "secret" is to change one's diet in a way one can maintain indefinitely. The most promising for most people seems to be a sort of "intermittent fasting (basicall no dinner or no breakfast, all food taken within a ca. 8 hour or less window) combined with low carb as proteins keep the hungry feeling away for longer. The "zeroth step" is to cut all sugary/alcohol drinks and snacks and keep 4 hours between meals. And as little pre-packaged/processed food as possible. I think Michael Pollan gave once as a rule of thumb to avoid buying anything with more than 5 ingredients listed on the package ;)
And a moderate (hopefully increasing) amount of exercise that should include not only "cardio" but lifting/bodyweight exercise that builds/keeps muscle mass.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

This sounds about right. I'm eating my main meal at midday with breakfast typically pork pie and apple, and in the evening cheese, salami and a little pickled onion. Crispy duck seems to be a great slimming food, even with the hoisin sauce, and I can get away with a chocolate eclair after the main meal :P

Mookalafalas

I live in japan. I generally don't eat any processed foods of any kind, and no sugary drinks. A lot of yogurt, oatmeal,  multi-grain bread, meat, some pasta, eggs, lots of rice.  No beer (although wine and hard alcohol).  I walk 8-10K steps most days, but my weight has still been slowly climbing (I'm 55). It is quite frustrating. Anyway, I've bought some exercise equipment and will try "full keto" again. I'll keep you informed how it goes 8)
It's all good...

steve ridgway

Ah all those over bred grass seeds that people never evolved to eat. You may be pleased to hear though that age in itself is not a problem - I will be 60 at the weekend.

Jo498

People did evolve during the last 6000 years... I think the blaming on grains is mostly a fad although lowering carbs (esp. highly processed carbs) seems to work for many people.
Your lifestyle does sound reasonably healthy, Mookafalas and I am in no way an expert. The main things I could think of are further reducing carbs (esp. anything sweet and alcohol), increase fibre and protein and add some higher intensity and/or strength exercise to the low intensity cardio. Unfortunately, there are some hereditary or other factors we can't do anything about. I have never smoked, drank very moderately, if at all, was mostly normal weight and reasonably fit (a few years slightly overweight, around 26-27 BMI) and I have had a hereditary problem with gout attacks since my early thirties and a (mild, manageable) coronary heart condition since my late 40s, so I have to take 5 different pills every day...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal