Author Topic: Fat Enders  (Read 248311 times)

DavidW

Re: Fat Enders
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:42 AM »
Sorry, I just wanted to raise this question while we're at it:  I've always thought that it's eat healthily, not eat healthy.  What is more correct?

Oh you're right I need to use the adverb and not the adjective.  Noted. :)

karlhenning

« Reply #401 on: September 16, 2009, 03:29:04 AM »
Not necessarily.  Use of the adverb focuses on the verb, i.e., on the action;  "eat healthily" to me suggests, e.g., chewing 30 times before swallowing.  I don't have any quarrel with "eat healthy," which I think is more a matter of ellipsis than of using an adjective where one really needs an adverb.

But, I should take this to Cato's Grumble Emporium  ;)

DavidW

« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2009, 03:38:18 AM »
But, I should take this to Cato's Grumble Emporium  ;)

Oh no please don't!  I'm already in the doghouse for mixing bait and bate. :o :'(

;D

karlhenning

« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2009, 03:44:08 AM »
Oh, mercy! If I had a dollar for every time I've read "baited breath"  0:) 8)

ChamberNut

« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:14 AM »
DeBussy

karlhenning

« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2009, 03:46:12 AM »
Anyway, I remember the last of George Orwell's (was it?) rules for writers: Break any of these rules before saying anything outright barbaric.  And I confess that the phrase eat healthily sounds nigh unto a barbarism to me  ;D

DeBussy

A nuther barbarism!  ;D

CD

« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
I feel good well (duhduh-duhduh-duhduh-duh) I knew that I would....

secondwind

« Reply #407 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Well, it's almost Friday. in a few hours this chubby little rodent needs to be out on an hour-long run.  How's everyone doing?

Offline Mozart

« Reply #408 on: September 24, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »
Great thanks :)

Well I should be doing better. I don't feel hungry and then I eat a little...and then I suddenly work up a huge appetite.

I've got a little plan in mind  >:D >:D

How are you?
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Elgarian

« Reply #409 on: September 25, 2009, 01:11:41 AM »
Well, it's almost Friday. in a few hours this chubby little rodent needs to be out on an hour-long run.  How's everyone doing?

I'm still hovering in the range 13s 13lb to 14s 2 lb, and seem to be stuck again. Last night I had a tantrum, bought a great heap of fish and chips from the local chippie, poured myself a huge glass of red wine, cried out to the universe 'Right then, take this!', and watched Amadeus while eating the lot.

But today is another day.

Offline Harpo

« Reply #410 on: September 25, 2009, 04:02:25 AM »

I have my workout clothes on, so I guess I'll force myself out the door to Jazzercise with maybe a little extra weight training. Then a visit to the small farmers' market. I'm waiting for medical science to reveal that an all-carb diet and minimal exercise are good for you.  :-\
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

MN Dave

« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2009, 04:03:52 AM »
I have to get back on that wagon.

secondwind

« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »
Sounds like a fun night, Elgarian.  Mozart, I'm a little worried about your plan. . . Anyway, this little rodent scurried around the neighborhood for an hour this morning, in the rain, probably about 4 miles, maybe a tad more.  Feeling virtuous, I chowed down on a breakfast of eggs and sausage--turkey sausage, but still . . .

secondwind

« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2009, 04:05:42 AM »
I have to get back on that wagon.
No Dave, get OFF the wagon and hike!

secondwind

« Reply #414 on: September 25, 2009, 04:07:13 AM »
Then a visit to the small farmers' market. I'm waiting for medical science to reveal that an all-carb diet and minimal exercise are good for you.  :-\
Me, too!  I'd like them also to specify minimum daily requirements of chocolate and wine as well. 0:)

MN Dave

« Reply #415 on: September 25, 2009, 04:12:30 AM »
No Dave, get OFF the wagon and hike!

I've been hiking a bit, but eating and drinking way more than I need.

Elgarian

« Reply #416 on: September 25, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
Sounds like a fun night, Elgarian.

Well actually, it was more than fun. There have been consequences. You know that bit in Amadeus where Wolfie and Salieri are eating some white gooey stuff, and Wolfie raves about it, and Salieri says it's made of cream cheese, sugar, and rum?

Well, I just tried an experiment.
Ingredients:
100 grams (half a tub) of Philadelphia Extra Light cream cheese: 110 calories (only 4 grams of fat).
Artifical sweetener to taste (say 2 teaspoons): 0 calories
Whisky to taste (say half a measure? It's up to you): 27 calories

Total calories 137.

Put cheese in bowl. Sprinkle sweetener on. Add whisky. Mix thoroughly. Put something by Mozart in the player. Take very small teaspoon and begin to eat in small spoonfuls.

It is ambrosia, my friends. Even if you eat the whole lot yourself (and you will want to), you've only eaten the same number of calories as there are in a slice of bread. It has half the calories of a Mars bar and is at least twice as delicious. As a real treat, as something to satisfy the aching sweet tooth yet which won't make any serious inroads into the calorie counting, this may prove to be my most powerful secret weapon. Though not so secret now, of course.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:00:37 AM by Elgarian »

Elgarian

« Reply #417 on: September 25, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »
I've been hiking a bit, but eating and drinking way more than I need.

You need my wonderfood. See above.

MN Dave

« Reply #418 on: September 25, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »
Well actually, it was more than fun. There have been consequences. You know that bit in Amadeus where Wolfie and Salieri are eating some white gooey stuff, and Wolfie raves about it, and Salieri says it's made of cream cheese, sugar, and rum?

Well, I just tried an experiment.
Ingredients:
100 grams (half a tub) of Philadelphia Extra Light cream cheese: 110 calories (only 4 grams of fat).
Artifical sweetener to taste (say 2 teaspoons): 0 calories
Whisky to taste (say half a measure? It's up to you): 27 calories

Total calories 137.

Put cheese in bowl. Sprinkle sweetener on. Add whisky. Mix thoroughly. Put something by Mozart in the player. Take very small teaspoon and begin to eat in small spoonfuls.

It is ambrosia, my friends. Even if you eat the whole lot yourself (and you will want to), you've only eaten the same number of calories as there are in a slice of bread. It has half the calories of a Mars bar and is at least twice as delicious. As a real treat, as something to satisfy the aching sweet tooth yet which won't make any serious inroads into the calorie counting, this may prove to be my most powerful secret weapon. Though not so secret now, of course.

Hm. I don't drink whisky. What brand should I get?

Elgarian

« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
Hm. I don't drink whisky. What brand should I get?

Doesn't matter. I'd have used rum (like Salieri) if I'd had any, but it was great with my whisky alternative. I used Famous Grouse, because I had some. (I don't think I'd want to use my single malts in this way!)