Fat Enders

Started by Dr. Dread, June 12, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 04, 2014, 04:31:37 PM
Yeah, I have to take a handful every day too, but it is in the morning. If I don't eat something I'll be sick, but it doesn't have to be a lot. I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of orange juice. I don't know quite how I would handle it if I had to do it at night. I'm looking for a good snack right now for those times when I used to eat a piece of candy. I've been eating dry-roasted nuts, but as good as they are for you, I think they still provide too much calories. Anyway, where I was going is you need to find a snack to eat at those times that will not increase your carb load. I usually at a grapefruit or an orange when my sugar drops (I have diabetes) and I need sugar without it being something bad. Compromises...  :-\

8)

Well, I love grapefruit!  One of my favourites.  I could have that and a small handful of natural almonds in the evening.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PaulR on June 04, 2014, 04:32:58 PM
Carry the chair to the porch Gurn.  Some added weight training :P

I haven't really set out to cut carbs from my diet, mainly focused on calories and still down nearly 75lbs.  I still enjoy things like ice cream in moderation.
Thanks! It's been hard work....but it needed to be done.

Yeah, that's the ticket!   Thanks! :)

Well, whether you focus on carbs or calories, you still accomplish the same end, I think. Your weight loss has been outstanding, I must say. If I now start to add something else to what I'm doing, like fat content, for example, then I can probably get down to 165, which is my long term goal. 14 years ago I cut way back on fat and lost 40 pounds, and kept it off for 9 years until that surgery. The combination of quitting smoking cigars and not being able to exercise for 8 months was too much for me to fight off. Working on it now though... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 04, 2014, 04:35:53 PM
Well, I love grapefruit!  One of my favourites.  I could have that and a small handful of natural almonds in the evening.

That would be the ultimate snack; tastes great and so good for you you will hardly be able to stand yourself!   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PaulR

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 04, 2014, 04:31:37 PM
Yeah, I have to take a handful every day too, but it is in the morning. If I don't eat something I'll be sick, but it doesn't have to be a lot. I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of orange juice. I don't know quite how I would handle it if I had to do it at night. I'm looking for a good snack right now for those times when I used to eat a piece of candy. I've been eating dry-roasted nuts, but as good as they are for you, I think they still provide too much calories. Anyway, where I was going is you need to find a snack to eat at those times that will not increase your carb load. I usually at a grapefruit or an orange when my sugar drops (I have diabetes) and I need sugar without it being something bad. Compromises...  :-\

8)
Carrots and hummus?  That is one of my go to snacks (The other being oranges) during the weight loss.

Brahmsian

Quote from: PaulR on June 04, 2014, 04:41:41 PM
Carrots and hummus?

There is another thing I really enjoy!!   :)  Any fresh veggie with hummus is fantastic.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PaulR on June 04, 2014, 04:41:41 PM
Carrots and hummus?  That is one of my go to snacks (The other being oranges) during the weight loss.

Well, I can't handle hummus, but I eat Greek yoghurt every morning at work for my coffee break snack. Way better than Twinkies!  Oranges are the best food in the world, bar none. A small handful of dry-roasted peanuts, or some walnuts, along with an orange, well, you just can't do better!   :)

8)

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 04, 2014, 04:11:07 PM
It's time for me to join this thread.   :'(

I'm at the heaviest I've ever been in my life.  I'm 5'8, 200 lbs.  The weight is all in belly and around waist.

I should be maximum 165 lbs for my height.  Up until age 30, I was 120 lbs (too thin!).  At age 39, metabolism is slowing down, obviously.  I use to be active, but I don't have any energy when I get home from work.

I'm seeing my family doctor tomorrow.  Also looking into seeing a nutritionist.  Ideally, I'd like to try a mainly plant based, whole foods diet, along with an exercise regimen.

Wish me luck.  :)

I remember being 39. Those were good years.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on June 04, 2014, 04:54:37 PM
I remember being 39. Those were good years.

I barely do, but I took good notes....  :D

8)

Karl Henning

234.2 this morning.

Took me an age to see that 4 again in the 10s column!  (And took a big concert to do it . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

213. Want to get down to 205 again.

It's not happening too quickly.  :D

Mookalafalas

I'm 205 and want to get to 180.  Unfortunately, I am planning a 2.5 week vacation to the States next week--which means massive quantities of ice-cream.  Anyway, plan to go veggies and soymilk this week.  Should be easy to drop 5 before I slap on 10 while on vacation.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on June 07, 2014, 11:17:29 PM
I'm 205 and want to get to 180.  Unfortunately, I am planning a 2.5 week vacation to the States next week--which means massive quantities of ice-cream.  Anyway, plan to go veggies and soymilk this week.  Should be easy to drop 5 before I slap on 10 while on vacation.

That's the spirit!

I am off on a winery and brewery tour in northrn Michigan next week, so I face the same dilemma.

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2014, 05:22:00 AM
234.2 this morning.

Took me an age to see that 4 again in the 10s column!  (And took a big concert to do it . . . .)

I have not lost the 4!  I mean, I desire a 3 there, but I am pleased not to have crept back to the 5 . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 07, 2014, 05:27:24 AM
213. Want to get down to 205 again.

It's not happening too quickly.  :D

211, but I was kind of sick yesterday. That's one way to lose it.

Karl Henning

Not a sustainable method, though . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on June 09, 2014, 06:12:07 AM
Not a sustainable method, though . . . .

Hey, I'll take what I can get.

Brahmsian

Well, this week I started drinking my coffee black, for the first time ever!  And I drink a lot of coffee.  :)  Cutting out the milk and sugar alone, has made me feel more energetic.

I 'winged' a most amazing, nutritious and delicious snack yesterday!

Cut a red bell pepper in half.  Clean out the seeds.
Put one or two spoons of greek yogurt.
Squirt some horseradish mustard.
Sprinkle some unsalted sunflower seeds.
Finally, sprinkle a bit of ground chili pepper on top.

Amazingly delicious!

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 09, 2014, 06:03:00 AM
211, but I was kind of sick yesterday. That's one way to lose it.

Over the years I've found that being sick is a good way to jump start shedding a few pounds.  Turning a negative into a positive of sorts. The trick is keeping it off.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Brahmsian

Another nutritious boost of energy.

Combine in a blender:

1 or 2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful of blueberries
1 banana
1 cup of skim milk
1 or 2 spoonfuls of greek yogurt

Blend for 15 or so seconds.

Delicious, nutritious, and a great energy boost!  :)

Brahmsian

Well, got my initial measurements for my preliminary workout program (wow, that first run through all the exercises was rough, but it can only get better!)  :D

Weight:  199 lbs

Body Fat %:  30.3%
Body Mass Index:  30.3%

Waist:  39.6 in.