Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)

Started by Maciek, April 18, 2007, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Most musical scholars consider her 4th symphony her most advanced, and I agree.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 01, 2023, 06:45:34 PMThe first recording of her first two symphonies would have been a smarter move. Chandos had little imagination for the program of this disc methinks.

I guess you're referring to the fact that the cpo and Chandos series both started with the 3rd and 4th symphonies and are directly competing. Probably they were both in production at the same time and expected to go into the market with no competition. A marketing snafu for Chandos in the short term, but hopefully they will both complete their orchestral music series' and there will be no difference in the long term.

I can think of an ever worse release blunder. Within the space of a year EMI released two different CDs the paired the Dvorak Dumsky Trio with the Shostakovich Op 67 Trio, both introducing new (nubile) artists.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

I had high expectations for this fresh release. Well, they were met but not necessarily completely succeeded. The order of the pieces on the recording shows a progression in style. The Overture is perhaps her most recorded orchestral work. A bouncy opener overall. The Symphony No. 2 comes next and whilst not as impactful as the Symphonies 3 and 4, I think that it's a compact, vibrant, energetic piece lasting around 20 min. long. Then the Variations for orchestra follows, from here her language gets a little sparser. Finally, Musica sinfonica in tre movimenti closes the recording, being the most advanced piece but not too challenging I reckon. The last two pieces require more listens to grasp them better. The strength of all of these works lie into orchestration, harmony and rhythm rather than melody.

One feature that springs to the ears is how she outlines the music and gestures, all of the pieces sounding precise and detailed. Once again Borowicz and the WDR Sinfonieorchester do justice to these pieces. I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the next year for another instalment.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2023, 12:44:50 PMI had high expectations for this fresh release. Well, they were met but not necessarily completely succeeded. The order of the pieces on the recording shows a progression in style. The Overture is perhaps her most recorded orchestral work. A bouncy opener overall. The Symphony No. 2 comes next and whilst not as impactful as the Symphonies 3 and 4, I think that it's a compact, vibrant, energetic piece lasting around 20 min. long. Then the Variations for orchestra follows, from here her language gets a little sparser. Finally, Musica sinfonica in tre movimenti closes the recording, being the most advanced piece but not too challenging I reckon. The last two pieces require more listens to grasp them better. The strength of all of these works lie into orchestration, harmony and rhythm rather than melody.

One feature that springs to the ears is how she outlines the music and gestures, all of the pieces sounding precise and detailed. Once again Borowicz and the WDR Sinfonieorchester do justice to these pieces. I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the next year for another instalment.

Helpful, thank you
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

dhibbard

what's the deal... seems like there is a competition for the Bacewicz symphony series between Chandos and CPO?

Harry

Quote from: dhibbard on December 11, 2023, 12:07:39 PMwhat's the deal... seems like there is a competition for the Bacewicz symphony series between Chandos and CPO?

There is not a competition, both companies had the same idea. So no deal.....
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Scion7

Quote from: dhibbard on December 11, 2023, 12:07:39 PMwhat's the deal... seems like there is a competition for the Bacewicz symphony series between Chandos and CPO?
Well, of course there is. Record companies have their stable of artists, and those artists take their own crack at composers' compositions. Buy me! Buy me!  That's how things have operated between DG, Philips, EMI, Chandos, CPO, CBS Masterworks, et al., music publishing companies, and concert artists since the dawn of Man.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Harry

Quote from: Scion7 on December 11, 2023, 09:03:07 PMWell, of course there is. Record companies have their stable of artists, and those artists take their own crack at composers' compositions. Buy me! Buy me!  That's how things have operated between DG, Philips, EMI, Chandos, CPO, CBS Masterworks, et al., music publishing companies, and concert artists since the dawn of Man.

That was not the case in regard of CPO and Chandos. They had no idea. CPO was the first with releasing, Chandos came a month or so later.

Scion7

That's not the point ... market competition happens.

Harry

Quote from: Scion7 on December 12, 2023, 12:25:49 AMThat's not the point ... market competition happens.

O, dear you want to be right, when you are not! And that's exactly the point.

Scion7

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Harry on December 12, 2023, 12:22:44 AMThat was not the case in regard of CPO and Chandos. They had no idea. CPO was the first with releasing, Chandos came a month or so later.

Your timeline is not quite right the cpo release was recorded in November 2021, released in November 2022. The Chandos release was recorded in February 2023, released in November 2023. The cpo release was already on sale when the Chandos recording was made. However, I would assume these recording projects are planned well in advance and is seems quite plausible that Chandos had laid out their plans for a Bacewicz orchestral music series long before the cpo recordings appeared. I'd characterize it as a marketing blunder, each label thinking they'd have an open field to sell into, only to discover that a directly competing release from another label would be on offer.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 12, 2023, 06:44:46 AMYour timeline is not quite right the cpo release was recorded in November 2021, released in November 2022. The Chandos release was recorded in February 2023, released in November 2023. The cpo release was already on sale when the Chandos recording was made. However, I would assume these recording projects are planned well in advance and is seems quite plausible that Chandos had laid out their plans for a Bacewicz orchestral music series long before the cpo recordings appeared. I'd characterize it as a marketing blunder, each label thinking they'd have an open field to sell into, only to discover that a directly competing release from another label would be on offer.

Well one could also look at this issue from a different angle. I personally welcome more interpretations, and get the music from different perspectives. In this case I found the performances by the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, under Lukasz Borowicz totally different compared with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, under Sakari Oramo.
CPO planned the Bacewicz recordings a long time ago, and I assume that it was the same way with Chandos.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Harry on December 12, 2023, 07:47:30 AMWell one could also look at this issue from a different angle. I personally welcome more interpretations, and get the music from different perspectives. In this case I found the performances by the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, under Lukasz Borowicz totally different compared with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, under Sakari Oramo.
CPO planned the Bacewicz recordings a long time ago, and I assume that it was the same way with Chandos.

It certainly a benefit to the public to have both. I remember in the 70's DG and Decca went to war, releasing competing Beethoven cycles from Karajan and Solti. I'm not sure the market will support a Bacewicz war between cpo and Chandos. I just hope it doesn't hurt sales and cause one of the projects to be discontinued.